The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2020, 09:04 AM   #1
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
Amazing Accuracy GMT Master ll (BLNR) 2019

I am not one who constantly check's accuracy however today on a long fight while the First Officer was flying this leg I decided to do a calculation. Today is the 6 month anniversary of my GMT Master ll (183 Days). When comparing it to the chronometer in the aircraft which is calibrated to atomic time I noticed I could not determine a difference in time. Since the eye takes about 7 tenths of a second to adjust from one focal point to another I will say the watch is 1 second off. The math is amazing the watch ticked 126,489,600 time's and is within 8 ticks that results in an overall accuracy of 99.99999993675369 %. I had a Submariner for 12 years and it gained 1 second a day either I'm just really lucky or Rolex has made significant improvements with this new movement. And yes I was keeping my eye on the flight instruments while doing this. I'm wondering what others are seeing for accuracy as this is beyond perfection.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 09:21 AM   #2
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
My platinum masterpiece is .5.spd
Amazing ��
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 09:37 AM   #3
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Great to hear Cpt. But, don't panic when after the watch 'breaks in', the ballistics may change. My two DJ41's ran .5 for the first six months. Both worn constantly. After that, DJ 'Wimbledon' ran -2 and DJ2 ran about -2 to -4. To me, perfectly acceptable considering the low tech nature of these watches.
You've had incredible luck with your watches, but you sound like your pragmatic about the situation and that's the sensible approach.
FWIW - Other than Doctors, I consider pilots to have the coolest, but 'heaviest' jobs going.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 09:43 AM   #4
tonyxcom
"TRF" Member

I've found that taking a picture with my phone of my watches and reference time is the best way to compare accuracy.
tonyxcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 10:02 AM   #5
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

mmmmp Thanks for the kind words, I never expected such accuracy and decided to post simply because I was amazed and curious. I believe in April it was 3 seconds fast but can't confirm with 100 % reliability just wasn't that interested at the time. I would be happy with 1 second a day. As far as the job goes some day's are wonderful clear skies and a tail wind but other's such as arriving into Boston (KBOS) or the northeast in the winter then spending endless hours with air traffic and weather delays sometimes make's you wonder. The one great thing that has never changed is I have the final decision period with regards to passenger, crew and aircraft safety. Fortunately I have significant seniority so I have still been flying even with the way the world has changed. Sorry to get off topic.
Old 19 June 2020, 10:55 AM   #6
atique
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, GMTII, DJ
I never bought Rolex for finding what time it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:14 AM   #7
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atique View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol Having one just to flex is also a perk
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:29 AM   #8
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atique View Post
What a great line!
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.G. View Post
mmmmp Thanks for the kind words, I never expected such accuracy and decided to post simply because I was amazed and curious. I believe in April it was 3 seconds fast but can't confirm with 100 % reliability just wasn't that interested at the time. I would be happy with 1 second a day. As far as the job goes some day's are wonderful clear skies and a tail wind but other's such as arriving into Boston (KBOS) or the northeast in the winter then spending endless hours with air traffic and weather delays sometimes make's you wonder. The one great thing that has never changed is I have the final decision period with regards to passenger, crew and aircraft safety. Fortunately I have significant seniority so I have still been flying even with the way the world has changed. Sorry to get off topic.
My cousin just retired from United, he used to say flying was 99% boredom and 1% sheer terror.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:48 AM   #10
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
watches accuracy can change with time. it could be running fast one month, then running slow the next month.

the net effect is that it looks spot on, and may lead one to believe that the watch is running at near quartz accuracy. but it's not.

just one of the weird fun part of wearing a mechanical watch.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:57 AM   #11
NIHO
"TRF" Member

I have a GMT 116710 that is now 13 years old. The first year it was spot on, never gaining or losing even a second a day. Then it started to speed up. Six years ago i serviced it, and since it has been +1s/d for the most part, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less. My 126600 Sea Dweller was also dead on for the first year, but now is about -2s/d, and both my GS and Zenith El Primero ran dead on for little while and are now a tad (1-2s/d) slow. Never could figure out why they drift like this, probably lots of factors.
NIHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 10:14 AM   #12
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Paul7 your cousins evaluation of flying as a career is reasonable although the percentages might be a bit off.