The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 August 2022, 08:08 AM   #1
DMinor
"TRF" Member

AD telling me no discounts on Tag Heuer Monaco Dark Lord?

Hi all,

I have my eye on the Tag Monaco Dark Lord. Initially, when I went to my AD, they were willing to offer a discount on the watch a few months ago. It seems like, between then and now, the watch has sold out and is bit rare.

Today, when I called the AD to inquire about preordering his next watch, he informed me that he could no loger give a discount out on watch and it has to sell for MSRP.

What do you guys think? Is this true? Are they no longer giving out discounts on the Dark Lord?
DMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 09:15 AM   #2
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Sounds like the supply vs. demand has changed their mind. If you can’t find one elsewhere seems like you’ll need to pay MSRP if you want it. May be worth calling around but if it’s sold out everywhere then you have your answer.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 09:39 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Get ready for Tag Heuer waitlist! Buy some connected watch to get on the list for a Monaco!
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 10:00 AM   #4
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Not sure on the discounts, but I have read it's very in demand. Perhaps try a different AD? If you've only seen this watch online, try on the latest Gulf or other Monaco's with the Cal 02 in them. They are very thick on the wrist (15+mm) and certainly not for everyone.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 10:40 AM   #5
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Sounds like the supply vs. demand has changed their mind. If you can’t find one elsewhere seems like you’ll need to pay MSRP if you want it. May be worth calling around but if it’s sold out everywhere then you have your answer.
I know JR Dunn carries it. Can you think of any other ADs I can call? Is there a list of the major ones?
Old 2 August 2022, 10:40 AM   #6
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Get ready for Tag Heuer waitlist! Buy some connected watch to get on the list for a Monaco!
ouch lol

I get it, Tag isn't Rolex, but I do think the Dark Lord is pretty. And it seems like its selling for above MSRP on Chrono24 etc.
Old 2 August 2022, 10:41 AM   #7
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
Not sure on the discounts, but I have read it's very in demand. Perhaps try a different AD? If you've only seen this watch online, try on the latest Gulf or other Monaco's with the Cal 02 in them. They are very thick on the wrist (15+mm) and certainly not for everyone.
Where have you been reading up? I'm curious to see what others are saying. It may sway my hand to pay MSRP
Old 2 August 2022, 10:56 AM   #8
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
I would never spend a lot of money on a Tag, they are just not what they used to be.
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 11:05 AM   #9
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
LOL
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 11:15 AM   #10
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
It’s supply vs demand. Mostly, it’s market that dictates discount. Usually for in demand watches, ADs tend not to give any discounts or very minimal at best even for regular customers. My observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 August 2022, 02:39 PM   #11
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Just remember, as a TAG, it'll still probably only net 50 cents on the dollar, best case scenario, should you try to sell a few years down the road. So try to buy right, but still buy for desire rather than investment.
vitalsigns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 08:40 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Maybe Tag has finally figured out that discounting destroys brand value
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2022, 05:35 AM   #13
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Tag is considering the Monaco (all of them) to be special. My AD had 2 Monacos (regular and Gulf) in the case a year ago. Now Tag is telling them they can't even order one unless they sell $300k in other Tag. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if an AD were not willing to discount a limited version of the Monaco.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2022, 10:44 AM   #14
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
Where have you been reading up? I'm curious to see what others are saying. It may sway my hand to pay MSRP
I was referring to what Frédéric Arnault (CEO - Tag Heuer) told Revolution Watch in a weekend interview this past week.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2022, 09:55 PM   #15
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
Hi all,

I have my eye on the Tag Monaco Dark Lord. Initially, when I went to my AD, they were willing to offer a discount on the watch a few months ago. It seems like, between then and now, the watch has sold out and is bit rare.

Today, when I called the AD to inquire about preordering his next watch, he informed me that he could no loger give a discount out on watch and it has to sell for MSRP.

What do you guys think? Is this true? Are they no longer giving out discounts on the Dark Lord?
I had the same experience couple years ago regarding another LE Monaco. It’s all about supply and demand. If you like it I’d go for it as MSRP. It’s a cool reference that will bound to be one of their more popular releases IMO.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote