The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2023, 11:08 PM   #1
iclick
"TRF" Member

Need help finding a Tudor part

I posted this in the Watchtech section but didn't get much response. The regulator of my Tudor 79090 Sub (#310xxx) is defective and needs replacing. A trusted local CW21 has had the watch since July and has not been able to find a replacement since it is not an ETA part. Rolex is apparently the only source for Tudor parts and independents like him can't purchase Rolex/Tudor parts from RSC directly, so that restricts my options to the limited open market. One option is to just send it to RSC, but they'll require a full service at a high cost, and since it was serviced just a year ago I would rather not go that route unless there are no others available.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, including some leads on the independent watchmakers I might contact for help.
Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 11:42 PM   #2
Jessiecopeland
Banned

I believe you didn’t get any response, because the Mt5400 movement does not have a regulator.
It uses Microstella screws to regulate the timing.
Perhaps your watchmaker needs some help.
Jessiecopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 12:57 AM   #3
linesiders
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
The regulator style is different from most other 2824-2 movements (I am not a watchmaker) .

I have seen two options: 1, believe you can swap in the other style as an assembly because I have seen real 79090s with the other style regulator on rare occasion (at least one, maybe two but pulling from memory).

2: assuming you can't source the regulator, you buy another movement.

I would need to look thru my spares but I *might* have one spare 79090 movement that I *might* sell. If you are interested let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
I believe you didn’t get any response, because the Mt5400 movement does not have a regulator.
It uses Microstella screws to regulate the timing.
Perhaps your watchmaker needs some help.
Tudor 79090 uses a 2824-2 movement. MT5400 movement is decades later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor-79090-2824-2-Movement-HQMilton (Custom).JPG (108.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor-NOT-2824-2-Movement-Ebay (Custom).JPG (286.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 13 January 2023, 04:30 AM   #4
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
The regulator style is different from most other 2824-2 movements (I am not a watchmaker) .

I have seen two options: 1, believe you can swap in the other style as an assembly because I have seen real 79090s with the other style regulator on rare occasion (at least one, maybe two but pulling from memory).

2: assuming you can't source the regulator, you buy another movement.

I would need to look thru my spares but I *might* have one spare 79090 movement that I *might* sell. If you are interested let me know.

Tudor 79090 uses a 2824-2 movement. MT5400 movement is decades later
Thanks for the reply. The movement in your top photo matches mine. You said that I might be able to "swap in the other style," are you referring to the complete movement or just the regulator part? I wouldn't mind doing a swap, presumably to the ETA movement or part, if it didn't affect the value of the watch.
Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
Old 13 January 2023, 06:32 AM   #5
linesiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
Thanks for the reply. The movement in your top photo matches mine. You said that I might be able to "swap in the other style," are you referring to the complete movement or just the regulator part? I wouldn't mind doing a swap, presumably to the ETA movement or part, if it didn't affect the value of the watch.
It *might* affect the value of the watch, it will affect the value of the watch for a collector. If you plan to sell it i nthe future, some people will pass when disclosed (and it should be). If you are going to drive this for the next 10/20 years and have no -plans to sell, it is more cost effective to get a standard ETA regulator bridge/assy' .

It will be cheaper than a used movement.
Old 14 January 2023, 10:25 AM   #6
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
It *might* affect the value of the watch, it will affect the value of the watch for a collector. If you plan to sell it i nthe future, some people will pass when disclosed (and it should be). If you are going to drive this for the next 10/20 years and have no -plans to sell, it is more cost effective to get a standard ETA regulator bridge/assy' .

It will be cheaper than a used movement.
I don't plan on selling it, but I'm averse to doing anything that would hurt the value. It's just a personal code, or maybe obsession is a better term. So, I'll just keep up the search or, if I lose hope, send it to RSC.
Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
Old 18 January 2023, 11:03 PM   #7
iclick
"TRF" Member

I contacted Bob Ridley and he was confident that he has the needed parts for this watch, so my plan is to send it to him today or tomorrow.
Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
Old 18 January 2023, 11:49 PM   #8
linesiders

Good - Bob will take car of you