The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 June 2024, 12:44 PM   #1
Draftyy
"TRF" Member

First Rolex - Seeking Advice

Longtime lurker. Finally made an account. Finally have reached the point where I can buy my first Rolex and so I had a couple questions for ya'll:

ADs: How best to handle this? Just go to the few in my somewhat immediate area (Within 30/40 min drive) and introduce myself? Let them know I am a first time buyer and just want to get on their radar? Not sure how this part works ha

Secondary: Do ADs sell secondary market or discontinued models ever? Or do you have to go through a third-party?

Models: I'm pretty basic so I seem to like a lot of the popular models. Hulk Sub (My dream watch for about a decade now), Batman/Pepsi GMTs, Navy Date Just, and also the Navy Yachmaster. Based on these forums, seems like getting any of these will be hard to impossible, but any advice here?

I work in a business casual setting and outside of work rarely have formal events (Thinking this knocks the Date Just down). Mostly social hangouts with other families, dinner with the wife (nothing too fancy), and youth sports lol. So was thinking a GMT (if anyway possible to ever find a pepsi/batman) is the way to start but the Navy Yachmaster seems like it could fit those settings as well. Again, the green "Hulk" Sub would be an auto-buy if I could find one but guessing those are hard to find.

Looking to get an everyday wear for my first and maybe explore a 2nd or third down the road like a Date Just.

Anyways. I'm rambling. Just excited to finally reach this point in my life. Appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!
Draftyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 01:56 PM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Welcome to the forum. Trying to get a GMT right off the bat is unlikely. If you know exactly what you want, go to the Classified section here, and check out the Rolex Boutique sellers. All are trustworthy, and can overnight you a new Rolex. If you want to try the AD route, ask for the Managers , and tell them what you want. You need to do this in person, and keep in touch, preferably in person. If you have a buddy who has a relationship with an AD, ask him to go with you, and introduce you to his Sales Associate. Do whatever it takes, and you will get a Rolex.
Good luck!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 02:07 PM   #3
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
My best bit of advice is be honest .. from the start tell them what you want, and not willing to buy, which watch you want the most but have a backup ..
Every AD is the same - they need your money to survive, that’s a simple business mantra, but it is for them to decide to who, so have a story worth telling, and there’s nothing wrong trying a few ADs to see who would be best sticking with.
Good luck …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 05:16 PM   #4
john18inch
"TRF" Member

Though it was my 3rd Rolex, the last one I got may as well have been my "first" in this era, since the last one I got was in the mid 2000s when Baselworld was a thing and I could just walk in to an AD and pick something in stock and take it home.
So, just like you I had the challenge of finding a Rolex, but for my son's graduation next week. This quest started back in March, and I had just found out about the whole AD/waiting list thing. I decided to stop in to an AD at my local mall, met a salesman and expressed interest in a Rolex as a grad gift. I wanted a 36mm OP, any color, so he took my info. Did monthly follow-up in April and May, still nothing.

Now, it's about mid May and I was starting to lose hope it was going to happen, but then it struck me, I'll try another AD. This late into the game (less than 1 month till graduation) where is the most ritzy, monied place I can think of??? Well, Beverly Hills of course! So with no expectations I called an AD there, and the lady I spoke to I explained that I wanted a Rolex grad gift but had less than a month to go. So, she took my info and that was that, didn't even have to come into the store. Lo and behold 3 weeks to the date of my phone call I got an email saying she had a 36mm DJ oyster smooth bezel if I was interested. Not quite the OP I originally wanted, but it looked just like the OP but with the date. Yes, it was a little more than the OP, but it is a higher model and I'd be paying retail and get full warranty and everything. Picked it up yesterday so I'm all set to go!

Moral of my story is: you definitely need a little bit of luck, but I got a DJ new, at retail, from an AD, in 3 weeks flat from a phone call, no prior purchase history, never went in or met anyone until my pickup day. When I talked to the sales lady yesterday I kept saying wow I can't believe I got it in 3 weeks, and she told me it was because I seemed nice and sincere over the phone. I was also very surprised being that it's Beverly Hills, they didn't "need" my business, as I'm sure there's no shortage of luxury buyers and I'd never even stepped foot in there until yesterday.

Good luck on your quest, you can do it!
john18inch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 06:18 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
As mentioned by others go into more than one AD if you have some close to where you live. Tell them what you want and gauge the response you get from them. If not buy from a trusted reseller this option will cost you more but gets you what you want now. Good luck in the search
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:19 PM   #6
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Don't discount "pre-Owned. But only consider pre-owned by one of our trusted sellers.

look at "Davidsw.com" for example
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:27 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
My best bit of advice is be honest .. from the start tell them what you want, and not willing to buy, which watch you want the most but have a backup ..
Every AD is the same - they need your money to survive, that’s a simple business mantra, but it is for them to decide to who, so have a story worth telling, and there’s nothing wrong trying a few ADs to see who would be best sticking with.
Good luck …
Have to agree today ADs are portrayed by many today as some sort of gods but in the real world they are just shops that sells watches nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:32 PM   #8
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

Here’s my advice. Don’t settle. If the LVC is your dream watch then just buy one. You’ll always be jonesing for one otherwise and if you’re anything like me, you won’t be happy until you own the watch you truly want
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:26 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome to the Forum. I would go into the local AD's and have a conversation with the SA about what I wanted and any thoughts on if that is possible and a time frame. You never know, you may get lucky. I would wait and see if I got a call if they told you that you may get it through them. In the mean time I would research the Trusted Sellers here and look at the websites and their inventory. Your tolerance for waiting will need to be balanced with your desire for the watch and your ability to pay. I would then get on the phone and call the Trusted Sellers and have a discussion about the watch/watches you are interested in. They are typically very patient and helpful. If you are ready to buy from a Trusted Seller then make a reasonable offer, they do discount somewhat. Pay and have the watch tomorrow by noon. It is all a process and you will be learning as you go. Good lesions and difficult ones. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:38 PM   #10
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Welcome!

Just sit and discuss with the nearby ADs what you like and are looking for and are into. If the LV is what your heart desires stick with it. I prefer to buy from an AD, but as prices are coming down a second hand LV isn’t much over msrp anymore. May be worth a look.
Old 7 June 2024, 11:22 PM   #11
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Since the Hulk is your most desired watch, that pretty much cuts the AD out of the picture since this model is no longer in production. This being the case, go the trusted seller route as others have suggested. Plenty of Hulk's out there for sale that you can get.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:36 PM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This is generic advice so take what you will from it... I have purchased from ADs, grey dealers, bought what I wanted right out of the window, waited for models, jumped waitlists, etc.

Go to your nearest AD. Be upfront and honest about what you want. It really helps if there's an occasion you are marking (ADs seem to specifically be asking this question at a few different ones I have visited over the past year). I really only buy from my local family owned AD, but will browse out of town from time to time. I would have low expectations. Most of the salesmen and women spend all day taking down information of potential clients that they will likely never be able to call. That said, I wouldn't tolerate anyone being rude to me. Being authentic goes a long way as it would in any sales experience. You don't owe them anything, but they also don't owe you anything. A lot of this is luck.

I'd be very specific about what you want. Demonstrate that you understand the specific watch your looking for. See what happens. The Datejust or Yacht-Master are going to be the most realistic acquisitions for sure, but it's alright to express interest in multiple pieces. There are still ADs who like to make someone's day/week/year by getting them something special for a special event.

In the interim, I would visit often. Reiterate interest. If you have other watches or they stock other things you are interested in, it can only help to give them your business. I don't believe in buying anything you don't want to get something else. Bundling is an insult to me.

At the end of the day, some model premiums on the grey market are worth paying to negate uncertainty and wait time. It all just depends on the model. I do however understand the notion that someone's first Rolex purchase does feel more special if it comes from an AD.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 12:38 AM   #13
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
This is generic advice so take what you will from it... I have purchased from ADs, grey dealers, bought what I wanted right out of the window, waited for models, jumped waitlists, etc.

Go to your nearest AD. Be upfront and honest about what you want. It really helps if there's an occasion you are marking (ADs seem to specifically be asking this question at a few different ones I have visited over the past year). I really only buy from my local family owned AD, but will browse out of town from time to time. I would have low expectations. Most of the salesmen and women spend all day taking down information of potential clients that they will likely never be able to call. That said, I wouldn't tolerate anyone being rude to me. Being authentic goes a long way as it would in any sales experience. You don't owe them anything, but they also don't owe you anything. A lot of this is luck.

I'd be very specific about what you want. Demonstrate that you understand the specific watch your looking for. See what happens. The Datejust or Yacht-Master are going to be the most realistic acquisitions for sure, but it's alright to express interest in multiple pieces. There are still ADs who like to make someone's day/week/year by getting them something special for a special event.

In the interim, I would visit often. Reiterate interest. If you have other watches or they stock other things you are interested in, it can only help to give them your business. I don't believe in buying anything you don't want to get something else. Bundling is an insult to me.

At the end of the day, some model premiums on the grey market are worth paying to negate uncertainty and wait time. It all just depends on the model. I do however understand the notion that someone's first Rolex purchase does feel more special if it comes from an AD.
This is all excellent advice in my opinion.

Be yourself, try to get an idea of what you really want and try to narrow that down. AD's get hundreds of people walking in all the time who just say "I wanna buy a Rolex" and have no idea what it is they're after. Clients that have at least done some background work to work out what kind of thing they want and can realistically get will always be favoured. Be friendly and polite, and understanding in the fact that you might not easily get the more highly desired pieces.

Also, one other side piece of advice, if it's possible, is to try and go in with your partner, boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife, as opposed to going in on your own. This is just a tiny detail, but the salesperson will be able to pick up from your partner if you are truly interested or are just there to try and grab whatever you can to flip. It sounds silly but if your partner is just as interested and excited for you, then that can indeed put out a good impression.
This, of course isn't essential, but from experience, it can help towards the rapport.

Good luck in your journey OP! Don't get disheartened and go and see what you can get!
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 03:48 AM   #14
Draftyy
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Very excited to start the journey. I have definitely felt a bit overwhelmed during researching over the last few weeks.

I appreciate pointing out to stick to the couple I really want/see myself wearing. I.e. I know if I bought the YM, I would still be drooling over the Hulk or GMTs. Seems like I will have to be patient and simply hunt the 2-3 I really want and weight the costs of patience through an AD for a GMT or go secondary and pay the premium for them (Leaning patience lol...Those GMT premiums are no joke).

The good news is that for the Hulk I only have one option (secondary). So thinking I will start with the ADs in my area (There are 3 within fairly normal driving distance) and express my interest as a first time buyer who has finally "made it" to buy his first Rolex (And yes, this is a story I have heard from my Dad and both Gran-Dads). And simply explain I am interested in the GMTs (Either BLNR/BLRO). I am certain (thanks to this forum) none will be in stock and I will get put on a waitlist. At that point I can start to consider the Hulk in secondary while I wait for (years?) for a GMT.

At least that is my plan for now =)

The only real question that I can't seem to figure out is oystersteel or jubilee for the GMTs. Guess I will have to go into a store and try some one to get a sense for that part.
Old 8 June 2024, 11:15 AM   #15
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
This is all excellent advice in my opinion.

Be yourself, try to get an idea of what you really want and try to narrow that down. AD's get hundreds of people walking in all the time who just say "I wanna buy a Rolex" and have no idea what it is they're after. Clients that have at least done some background work to work out what kind of thing they want and can realistically get will always be favoured. Be friendly and polite, and understanding in the fact that you might not easily get the more highly desired pieces.

Also, one other side piece of advice, if it's possible, is to try and go in with your partner, boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife, as opposed to going in on your own. This is just a tiny detail, but the salesperson will be able to pick up from your partner if you are truly interested or are just there to try and grab whatever you can to flip. It sounds silly but if your partner is just as interested and excited for you, then that can indeed put out a good impression.
This, of course isn't essential, but from experience, it can help towards the rapport.

Good luck in your journey OP! Don't get disheartened and go and see what you can get!
Excellent additional advice. I agree with it all. Going in with a significant other is actually an excellent detail. For one, it makes you seem less like a flipper. Second, the AD has the opportunity to make two people happy as opposed to one. If your significant other likes something in the store, it adds a nice kick in the ass to the AD to sell you two things as opposed to one.
Old 8 June 2024, 11:21 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftyy View Post
The only real question that I can't seem to figure out is oystersteel or jubilee for the GMTs. Guess I will have to go into a store and try some one to get a sense for that part.
Try out both bracelets. Jubilee tends to be the favored option, but I have owned GMTs on both. I think if sized correctly, both are equally comfortable. I don’t buy that the Jubilee is innately so. Jubilee is a good option if you are adding a Submariner later. Less models have Jubilee options so getting it where you can makes sense. At MSRP, there is no price difference. On the secondary market, models on Jubilee always command a premium.
Old 8 June 2024, 08:57 PM   #17
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My first Rolex was a preowned Submariner. For me it was just as meaningful. Still have it, and it was a great deal. Good luck and enjoy
Old 8 June 2024, 08:57 PM   #18
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
First Rolex - Seeking Advice

Welcome! My honest advice I have given to anyone who has asked me about my watches or how I acquire them.

1. Build a relationship with an AD that is key. How; a simple stop in to introduce yourself. Try to narrow down to what you are really interested in and what your open too (two different things here) AND BE PATIENT!!!!!! Ask questions it’s cool.

2. Unless what you want is discontinued, stick to a AD they will come through for you. If that’s the case there are several reputable grey market dealers that can source the piece you want. Example (Santblanc, David SW etc)

3. If your AD sells jewelry like Cartier, general gold, diamonds etc. and want to grab something for your significant other or just want to pick something up for yourself this works great as well to build a relationship with your AD. (I know I will get back lash on this one); but I’d rather have jewelry + watches than just go 2nd market on everything. But again that’s just me…

4. You don’t have to say yes to a watch you don’t like nor act like you like it. Your AD will appreciate that. (I have passed on the WG Sky Dwellers multiple times) just not my vibe (yet) maybe later I’ll want one.. but that’s good because in the long run you got offered more pieces.

5. Don’t be that guy that’s like I only want SS sub, SS Daytona or I just want a Pepsi… that will not get you far. AD’s have a million guys like that chasing the hype drop in and are calling daily. Genuine people who are interested in the horology, watch talk don’t come around daily.

But again! Welcome to TRF and good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 03:33 AM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I would narrow it down to what you really want. It sounds like you want every hot watch made and you don’t really care which one you get. That’s a really easy way not to get anything. Pick two, and go from there.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 08:38 AM   #20
Draftyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I would narrow it down to what you really want. It sounds like you want every hot watch made and you don’t really care which one you get. That’s a really easy way not to get anything. Pick two, and go from there.

No I know what I want to start with. BLNR or BLRO. On that front, yes, I would take either.

Again, my dream watch is the green/green sub (Hulk) but that is not something I would get through an AD anyways.

And yes, further down the road I may add something more formal like a DJ, but I know I want to start with a more sporty/casual model for my first purchase as given my lifestyle, I would wear it daily.