The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 October 2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Guidance needed on first AP

I've enjoyed reading the various threads devoted to AP here and, having all I truly want in the current Rolex lineup (Explorer, Bluesy, DJ41, and SD43), want to get an AP Royal Oak. I'm leaning strongly toward the 37mm because from what I've seen on certain videos, I think the lug-to-lug dimensions of the 41mm would be too much. Of my Rolex, while the SD43 is the largest, it doesn't feel that way, thanks in large part to the Glidelock keeping it buckled down. From what I've seen online, it looks as though the AP 41mm flare to such a degree, that it wouldn't be comfortable on my 7 inch wrist. I've also seen many posts which indicate AP RO wears a tad larger than the diameter measurements indicate. Is that true?

Here's my question: for those of you who own Rolex and Royal Oak (particularly the 39mm Explorer), would the RO 37mm wear comparably to it?

Thank you for your input.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
37mm would actually wear a bit larger. The 36mm is probably closer.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 07:49 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Remember that a 37mm RO is essentially a ladies size. If a SD43 doesn’t feel large on you then a 37mm will definitely feel small, besides you say you have a 7” wrist so a 41mm RO should be fine but don’t forget about the 15202 Jumbo at 39mm if you decide that 41mm is too big for you. Can’t you try a Royal Oak on your wrist so that you know for sure before you buy? Another very important factor is wether you intend to wear the watch with a well fitted suit or jeans & t shirt. With a smart suit I can understand the requirement for a smaller watch but if it’s for causal then I personally prefer a larger watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for your replies. You make good, fair points, and perhaps I should have clarified. I mentioned the SD43 as a means of comparison because, although I love that watch and can wear it comfortably, I'm actually looking for something more in line with the Explorer's size. And yes, specifically for suits (my standard, daily work attire). I wear the Explorer most often with suits, which is why I'm looking for something to compliment it.

ATL is the closest AP AD to me, so I suppose I should take a day trip there to try them on (assuming they have any at the boutique lol).

Thank you again.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:36 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Agree with Ash if you have the SD43 then the 41mm should not be an issue but only you will know if there is flare out or discomfort on your wrist so try one on at a nearby grey if possible. 37mm wears simliar to a Daytona so in line with the Exp too, if you prefer that size, just see if it is not too bezel heavy for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 10:22 PM   #6
NicholasNJ
"TRF" Member

For me personally if you like the fit and size of the explorer, the 37mm would feel small (from my own experience).
I also have a 7” wrist and felt that the 41mm was the way to go!

Keep in mind that I rarely wear business attires and I wear all my watches with casual clothings, so I can’t comment on the 41mm being able to fit under dress shirts.

Trying it on would be the best option obviously. They should have 37mm’s with diamonds or in PM for you to try. Not sure about 41mm’s nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NicholasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 10:26 PM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I think the 39 would look fine on you. I have a 6" wrist and it looked okay on me. The 37 might look a bit small because the whole point of RO is to look a bit large.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote