The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2020, 01:50 PM   #1
AD337
"TRF" Member

Safe to use LENS & SCREEN cleaning wipes to wipe clean ceramic bezel?

As the title reads... had a quick stop by my AD for a separate reason and she noticed build of up grime and whatever else all by the cyclops ... anyway she used a little alcohol wipe and wow it worked really well .. the crystal and bezel cleaned up really nicely .. BUT I started to think about it and figured I’d better check with some of you experts in here to make sure that’s something I can continue to do every so often because I liked the results... the wipes say “contains isopropyl alcohol” on the packaging ..

And yeah I realize I may get laughed at for making a thread about this but I’m not interested in screwing up the finish on any of my watches bezels or messing ii the crystal if it’s bad for that either so I’m just checking to be better safe than sorry ..!!

Thanks
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:52 PM   #2
AD337
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 April 2020, 01:52 PM   #3
AD337
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 April 2020, 02:43 PM   #4
SodiumMonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Your Rolex professional watch is one of the most capable, well-engineered, and well-built tool watches in the world. It is manufactured from the finest materials on the planet. You aren't going to hurt it with glasses wipes :)
SodiumMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodiumMonkey View Post
Your Rolex professional watch is one of the most capable, well-engineered, and well-built tool watches in the world. It is manufactured from the finest materials on the planet. You aren't going to hurt it with glasses wipes :)
And if you do hurt it - I think we would all be worried about Rolex standards!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Just give it a wash in warm soapy water - much better at removing grime than a wipe.
Old 28 April 2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yes wipes would be fine. Doubt as effective as water and the standard options though.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:31 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post
As the title reads... had a quick stop by my AD for a separate reason and she noticed build of up grime and whatever else all by the cyclops ... anyway she used a little alcohol wipe and wow it worked really well .. the crystal and bezel cleaned up really nicely .. BUT I started to think about it and figured I’d better check with some of you experts in here to make sure that’s something I can continue to do every so often because I liked the results... the wipes say “contains isopropyl alcohol” on the packaging ..

And yeah I realize I may get laughed at for making a thread about this but I’m not interested in screwing up the finish on any of my watches bezels or messing ii the crystal if it’s bad for that either so I’m just checking to be better safe than sorry ..!!

Thanks
Just use plain old soap and water thats all thats needed for any Rolex watch and perhaps a soft brush.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 06:21 PM   #9
doramas
Banned

Neutral soap, soft toothbrush and warm water.

I don't understand how they complicate life.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

If it's safe for lenses, how could it harm a sports watch? And you actually watched a woman at an AD do it...
Old 28 April 2020, 07:01 PM   #11
uddind
Banned

I'd be cautious about the alcohol on the platinum plated numbers. I've see a few online where the numbers have faded
uddind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 07:06 PM   #12
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddind View Post
I'd be cautious about the alcohol on the platinum plated numbers. I've see a few online where the numbers have faded
Also, my understanding is the cyclops is stuck on. Wouldn’t the alcohol soften or dissolve the adhesive?
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Milsub114060
Banned

Use a tiny brush and very very gently rub not too hard mind don’t want to damage the watch a brush hair and some air as Bob Ross would say
Milsub114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 09:29 PM   #14
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks
Run it under the tap with some warm soapy water then use a normal towel to dry it... that doesn’t hurt your skin does it? So likewise won’t hurt the strongest stainless steel or ceramic on the market. It’s designed to go 100m under the sea...
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 09:38 PM   #15
AD337
"TRF" Member

Lol I should’ve been more clear - I’m just trying to see if this is a safe product to wipe down the crystal/bezel with for a quick wipe down from smudges and whatever else.. NOT a full cleansing of the entire watch, I definitely realize the ideal Rolex recommendation for cleaning their watches. And yes, I watched my AD use the product that is true, but I’ve also heard my AD praise RSC and think that the idea of them doing anything less than perfect is ludicrous... which we all know is funny and far from true ...so just because an employee at an AD says it’s ok doesn’t mean that it is (or not to me at least)... hence, why I was reaching out over heee incase anyone might have some insight

Again, I realize it’s extreme and silly to make a thread over this. I’m sure it’s indeed fine and not hurting anything, but I just wanted to check if the isopropyl alcohol seemed problematic in any way lol
Old 28 April 2020, 09:48 PM   #16
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Forget all that shit. If its a bit grubby, wash under the tap for a few seconds, done. If it’s got a finger print on the Crystal and it’s bothering you wipe it off with your T-shirt or jumper. I think you’re too worried. This is not a vintage Patek you’re talking about here, or even a vintage NOS Rolex !
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Lol I should’ve been more clear - I’m just trying to see if this is a safe product to wipe down the crystal/bezel with for a quick wipe down from smudges and whatever else.. NOT a full cleansing of the entire watch, I definitely realize the ideal Rolex recommendation for cleaning their watches. And yes, I watched my AD use the product that is true, but I’ve also heard my AD praise RSC and think that the idea of them doing anything less than perfect is ludicrous... which we all know is funny and far from true ...so just because an employee at an AD says it’s ok doesn’t mean that it is (or not to me at least)... hence, why I was reaching out over heee incase anyone might have some insight

Again, I realize it’s extreme and silly to make a thread over this. I’m sure it’s indeed fine and not hurting anything, but I just wanted to check if the isopropyl alcohol seemed problematic in any way lol
Lense wipes are fine for wiping the watch down when you are on the go. I use them also on my gold Submariner. No issues whatsoever. They won't hurt polycarbonate lenses and won't hurt your watch
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 10:43 PM   #18
watchmaker
TechXpert

Isopropyl wipes are great for spot cleaning watches.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #19
AD337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Lense wipes are fine for wiping the watch down when you are on the go. I use them also on my gold Submariner. No issues whatsoever. They won't hurt polycarbonate lenses and won't hurt your watch
Good to know, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Isopropyl wipes are great for spot cleaning watches.
Great, thanks, appreciate you confirming this
Old 29 April 2020, 05:28 AM   #20
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Wet and wipe on T shirt/toilet roll/tea towel. Job done.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To be safe than sorry use only warm soapy water as Rolex recommends. Leave the wipes for what they were intended for.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #22
tonyxcom
"TRF" Member

Is it ok if I wear my watch? Or will the sweat and oil from my skins cause issues down the road.
tonyxcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:15 AM   #23
Rausy
"TRF" Member

Not trying to be funny or disrespectful, but if you weren’t sure if these wipes were safe for your watch or if you could trust your AD’s judgement....why the heck did you let her wipe down your watch? Again - not trying to be a jerk, I’m genuinely curious.
Rausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:32 AM   #24
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes it's safe. No, it won't be as thorough of a cleaning of water, gentle dish soap, a soft toothbrush, and a towel. Stuff builds up in all the nooks and crannies that require more than an alcohol wipe to get rid of.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:49 AM   #25
Asumer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN - BLK
My goto:

- If the watch is filthy - warm water/soap/old toothbrush(make sure crown is screwed down!)
- smudges on the crystal - inside of a tshirt wipes it down perfectly.
These watches are built like tanks and can easily withstand screen wipes.
Asumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 07:02 AM   #26
AD337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausy View Post
Not trying to be funny or disrespectful, but if you weren’t sure if these wipes were safe for your watch or if you could trust your AD’s judgement....why the heck did you let her wipe down your watch? Again - not trying to be a jerk, I’m genuinely curious.
She was trying to see something on the dial and had about 3 other employees watching so they all seemed like it was pretty
Standard I would have felt ridiculous to stop her and be like no, don’t wipe my watch crystal/bezel with
That wipe lol... I never really thought once or twice will hurt anything ... purpose of the thread is more or less to see if they’re safe to use because I felt like it worked really well and would like to be able to continue using them whenever I feel necessary
Old 29 April 2020, 07:11 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
To be safe than sorry use only warm soapy water as Rolex recommends. Leave the wipes for what they were intended for.
He didn't mean use lens wipes exclusively. Of course when at home you have access to soap, water and towels. But out on the go, lens wipes are a quick easy wipe down for the crystal, bezel and even the bracelet. Just to clean up smudges and fingerprints. I wear glasses so always have a supply of Zeiss lens wipes wherever I go. Glasses always need a cleaning. Use them for a quick surface clean on the gold Sub also.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote