The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2020, 03:37 PM   #1
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
The Rolex design department...

Rolex takes pride in creating time pieces that will last for a life time or more (as I understand it anyway). Functionality and durability are key words. So - how do you think they discuss internally around PCL's and all the polished surfaces? Somewhere in the discussions someone must have brought up the impracticality with scratches that will turn up after a minute or two? Then I would assume that the benefits that they also discussed as a consequence would be worth more? For example;

Yes, scratches are bad, but it gives the watch more shine/bling that is impotant for the design so scratches are worth it

Yes, scratches are bad but we really don't care about how it will look after a year or two

Yes, scratches are bad but the average person really doesn't care about that. Only the geeks at the different forums seem to care.

Yes, scratches are bad but we are Rolex. You will buy what we produce and thats it.

Sometimes it would be interesting the be a fly on the wall...
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Brushed bracelets scratch too. My sub is sad proof of this.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I take a slightly different view:
Rolex cares about making money.
Scratches are good - these things are made from metal and meant to be worn. Scratches won't shorten the life of the watch - over-polishing will do more harm eventually.
Brushed or polished, it's the same metal and scratches regardless. After some time, an overall 'scratch patina' develops and makes individual scratches less noticeable. Watches are refinished at service time unless (like me) you prefer that not to happen.
YMMV
Old 26 May 2020, 03:53 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
I take a slightly different view:
Rolex cares about making money.
Scratches are good - these things are made from metal and meant to be worn. Scratches won't shorten the life of the watch - over-polishing will do more harm eventually.
Brushed or polished, it's the same metal and scratches regardless. After some time, an overall 'scratch patina' develops and makes individual scratches less noticeable.
YMMV
So true. One or two scratches - very noticeable. One or two thousand scratches - invisible. Sounds absurd but it’s true. My wife’s Datejust is all the evidence I need.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:29 PM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
So true. One or two scratches - very noticeable. One or two thousand scratches - invisible. Sounds absurd but it’s true. My wife’s Datejust is all the evidence I need.
That’s a good way of putting it. If I have one or two a scratches I kinda look at my watch with one squinted eye
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 05:18 PM   #6
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Just take some sandpaper to it as you are leaving the AD. Works a charm.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
Rolex takes pride in creating time pieces that will last for a life time or more (as I understand it anyway). Functionality and durability are key words. So - how do you think they discuss internally around PCL's and all the polished surfaces? Somewhere in the discussions someone must have brought up the impracticality with scratches that will turn up after a minute or two? Then I would assume that the benefits that they also discussed as a consequence would be worth more? For example;

Yes, scratches are bad, but it gives the watch more shine/bling that is impotant for the design so scratches are worth it

Yes, scratches are bad but we really don't care about how it will look after a year or two

Yes, scratches are bad but the average person really doesn't care about that. Only the geeks at the different forums seem to care.

Yes, scratches are bad but we are Rolex. You will buy what we produce and thats it.

Sometimes it would be interesting the be a fly on the wall...

“Fly on the wall” I like that, wish we can do that and hover of that board meeting and also around the design department :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 May 2020, 06:51 PM   #8
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603 & 25407N
Like controversial opinion here but on my '77 Datejust the polished surfaces have enough scratches that it's kind of uniform now, it still looks polished and has that reflective lustre, but not like the mirror finish of a new one. Like the PCLs attract scratches sure but it will over time still be distinct from the brushed part and still look excellent.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:29 PM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

Perhaps the company just isn't as fussy as many of us are here, and they know that their real market isn't either.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Perhaps the company just isn't as fussy as many of us are here, and they know that their real market isn't either.
So true
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:55 PM   #11
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
As the watches moved from tools to what they are for many people here are desk divers and with the costs increases there is the pressure to make them appear more luxurious and PCL’s are a part of that. I owned a couple daytonas and wore them doing just about anything. Yes, they would get swirls but from let’s say 3 feet out the contrast was still very evident between the pcl and brushed links and continued to serve its function well. The downsides of PCL’s are overblown and created by folks here who obsess over their watches. My parents owned DD’s and beat the hell out of them (father wore them on construction sites actually doing construction, mom wore gardening, cleaning the house, etc) and simply did not think at all about the watches appearance. The reality is not everyone looks at their watches under a loupe everyday inspecting for new scratches.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 07:37 PM   #12
18078pres
"TRF" Member

rolex watches are meant to be worn and are made that way regardless of the ref. Their mantra since day one. they are all aware their going to look worn thats why when serviced they will polish it for you to opt not to
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 08:34 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Jewelry is shiny. Shiny surfaces get scratches.

I like to wear my watches.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:22 PM   #14
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Steel scratches, no one doubts that would happen, Rolex made the PCL in some models for the same reason that it does not put AR coating on the sapphire crystal, so that your watch SHINES.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 10:02 PM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I do wish the new DateJust did not have polished center links for the oyster bracelet... far to blingy. Maybe let the jubilee be have polished center links and the oyster all brushed, so you can have a blingy DateJust if you want or one that flies under the radar.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 10:16 PM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Agree with the above posts. Never had a problem with PCL's (and have had many).
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 10:23 PM   #17
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

All metal watches will scratch. Brushed finish obviously takes longer than polished finish to show wear, but it eventually will. I don't think Rolex thinks much about this when it comes to how they finish their watches. Rolex offers PCLs on professional models it feels are more "upscale" or "white collar." The most controversial manifestation of this was PCLs on the stainless steel GMT-Master II when it was released with a ceramic bezel. Many disliked this touch. I can understand why. The GMT-Master II (while still considered a pilot's watch), is more broadly considered a travelers watch. It has a more upscale vibe to it than the Submariner or Explorer models which are meant for more (presumable) hard use.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote