The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 May 2020, 10:14 AM   #1
joraak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1973 King Seiko
1945 Rolex Oyster (first vintage piece?)

Hello all! I hope that I have placed this topic in the correct area as I am new to all of this.

I have been collecting watches for a little while now and have started getting into some vintage pieces. My newest addition, and current favorite, a 1973 King Seiko.

I am looking to pull the trigger on my very first Rolex (woohoo!) and have decided that I'd like to start with a vintage piece as I love the look, and many of them seem to be a bit more in my price range. So, the reason for the post:

I am seeing a 1945 Rolex Oyster being auctioned off at some sort of online estate sale with a very clearly marked serial number but no model number on the watch. Given that the serial number is so clear, is it normal for the model number to be rubbed off entirely? Everything else on the watch seems on point to me but I wanted to get a little advice if possible. This watch is stunning in my opinion and I would LOVE to have it as my first Rolex.
joraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

What about the case-back? Any reference number there? Photos?
Old 30 May 2020, 12:36 PM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Be careful, some of those earlier Rolex models are a bear to repair or are made up of parts from other models or other brands and can sometimes be frankenwatches. They usually have repainted dials because replacements dont exist.
Old 30 May 2020, 01:20 PM   #4
joraak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1973 King Seiko
Thanks for the replies! :) I don't see anything on the case back - just the serial number and nothing else but I don't have the best eye for these things (yet!) so maybe I am missing something.

I am also worried about it not being all original - the picture of the movement looks good to me but it would need to be thoroughly looked at by a professional (which I unfortunately cannot do in this buying format). I couldn't figure out how to post pictures directly to this reply but the listing is at Estate Sale Bidding . com

(I would post a direct link but due to my account age it won't let me!) Sorry! But I hope that helps - if you see anything noteworthy please let me know
joraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraak View Post
Thanks for the replies! :) I don't see anything on the case back - just the serial number and nothing else but I don't have the best eye for these things (yet!) so maybe I am missing something.

I am also worried about it not being all original - the picture of the movement looks good to me but it would need to be thoroughly looked at by a professional (which I unfortunately cannot do in this buying format). I couldn't figure out how to post pictures directly to this reply but the listing is at Estate Sale Bidding . com

(I would post a direct link but due to my account age it won't let me!) Sorry! But I hope that helps - if you see anything noteworthy please let me know
Are you looking at the outside or inside of the case-back? Read some threads about how to post photos if you really want useful help. A little effort on your part is likely to pay dividends and make people more willing to help. I doubt people are going to make the effort to track the listing down. The best way is to use an image hosting service like imgur. Otherwise you can only post small photos.

Also, make sure you know the size of the case. There were some very small watches at that time; 32mm was not uncommon.
Old 30 May 2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Blueline226
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV, DaytonaC
Here is the link:

https://www.estatesalebidding.com/au...ist-Watch-31mm

The caseback appears to be stamped ref: 4444

I hope the experts here can help you out as I know nothing about these older pieces. Hopefully this can get them in the right direction.
Blueline226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:55 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

31mm and unappealing green re-lumed hands. The latter can be improved obviously. The dial is a bit splotchy, but not without charm. Personally, I don't think a 31mm watch is very wearable.