The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2020, 05:13 AM   #1
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Got a (not the) call from my AD today.

Now that things are opening back up again I got very excited when my AD's name popped up on my phone this afternoon. He typically only calls when a watch I've expressed interest in has come in and is available to me. The last time we spoke (back in Jan) I had expressed interest in a white Daytona.

To be fair I have purchased several SS sports models from him (SD43, BLRO) and have brought in new customers who have made multiple purchases over the years. He also knows that I am a long-time collector (first Sub date which I still have I bought in 1994). I've never flipped and often stop in with one or more of the watches I've bought there (or have in my collection) to just say hello. Finally, I've only been "softly" looking for a SS Daytona on and off for more than 15 yrs but have never aggressively pursued one as there's typically been something higher up on my list.

So my heart was racing when the call came in thinking this could be it! The light at the edge of the storm. Well the conversation was short and (not too) sweet (seems that he had a lot of client calls to make being the first week back in the store) and he asked if I was still interested in the white Daytona. Quickly I answered that I was indeed. He said, unfortunately, there would be no way that he would be able to deliver that watch to me this year but he would let me know if anything changes.

Deflated I thanked him for the call and he quickly hung up. While disappointed I did appreciate the call and honesty about the realities of certain watches in these times. In my book, a call is better than no call at all. The part I remain hopeful about is that he said "this year". Being half-way through the year I've accepted that perhaps 2021 may be "the year" as he makes his way through his prioritized customer list. As a side note, he did tell another friend of mine who is also a customer that there was no way he could deliver a blue SkyDweller but could likely source a black dial for him however it would be some time.

Something to continue to look forward to (however not too much and certainly not too soon!).
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
Now that things are opening back up again I got very excited when my AD's name popped up on my phone this afternoon. He typically only calls when a watch I've expressed interest in has come in and is available to me. The last time we spoke (back in Jan) I had expressed interest in a white Daytona.

To be fair I have purchased several SS sports models from him (SD43, BLRO) and have brought in new customers who have made multiple purchases over the years. He also knows that I am a long-time collector (first Sub date which I still have I bought in 1994). I've never flipped and often stop in with one or more of the watches I've bought there (or have in my collection) to just say hello. Finally, I've only been "softly" looking for a SS Daytona on and off for more than 15 yrs but have never aggressively pursued one as there's typically been something higher up on my list.

So my heart was racing when the call came in thinking this could be it! The light at the edge of the storm. Well the conversation was short and (not too) sweet (seems that he had a lot of client calls to make being the first week back in the store) and he asked if I was still interested in the white Daytona. Quickly I answered that I was indeed. He said, unfortunately, there would be no way that he would be able to deliver that watch to me this year but he would let me know if anything changes.

Deflated I thanked him for the call and he quickly hung up. While disappointed I did appreciate the call and honesty about the realities of certain watches in these times. In my book, a call is better than no call at all. The part I remain hopeful about is that he said "this year". Being half-way through the year I've accepted that perhaps 2021 may be "the year" as he makes his way through his prioritized customer list. As a side note, he did tell another friend of mine who is also a customer that there was no way he could deliver a blue SkyDweller but could likely source a black dial for him however it would be some time.

Something to continue to look forward to (however not too much and certainly not too soon!).
I had a similar call today. My watch has been at one of the U.K service centre's since the beginning of the year and Caroline from my nearest W.O.S called to say it was their first day back setting up to open on the weekend or Monday. She informed me that my Daytona would be back next week and as soon as it came in she would call to book an appointment for me to go in and collect it. Happy as Larry I carried on with my day until I found out that on the 26th a decision would be made whether St. David's center in Cardiff (where my W.O.S is) will go into administration due to the money they've lost during all of this, in which case the center would be closed AGAIN until they can sort out who can afford to pay the rent etc. I called back and didn't want to be the bearer of bad news but apparently they knew nothing about it. Optimistic she said "they've been saying that for years, if there's another change obviously we will let you know but I'm sure you'll be getting your call to collect next week." Here's to hoping that they remain open.... Not just to get my watch back but so that countless people don't lose their jobs in that center.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 05:49 AM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I have purchased history with 2 ADs. One said that he hardly ever gets a Daytona but he will fight for me whenever they come in. Another AD said that a Daytona is not very rare at all but it’s just that so many people want them. They said that Sky D is actually a watch that they don’t see as often. And among SS the blue is no more rare than the white or black.

Just another “my AD said” comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:12 AM   #4
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Strange call OP.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote