The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 02:41 PM   #1
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Meteorite GMT vs Daytona Ceramic question...

Friends,

Since getting my CHNR a month ago I’m really digging the GMT vibe. I’m connecting with watch on a level beyond the pure aesthetic love for the Hulk and Wimbledon green. It has me thinking to forego the Daytona ask with the AD and target the Meteorite Pepsi as the next pickup.

In you’re experiences, is this a comprable ask?

I’ve been revamping my collection towards more stealth wealth pieces given the pandemic times and a subsequent career change on my end so consolidation is on my mind a bit.

The aftermarket bump is comparable for both pieces so I wouldn’t be against flipping the Daytona into the PM GMT if patience is the name of this game.

There’s a WG Meteorite Daytona sitting in the pre-owned case so that might hold me over until I make a move. But I just need a soundboard to strategize off and I appreciate the help.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:30 PM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Don’t see why you couldn’t ask for both. It’s a PM piece and should help you towards Daytona.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If the CHNR and meteorite GMT are “stealth watches” for you, I’d like to hear more about your collection.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:38 PM   #4
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
If the CHNR and meteorite GMT are “stealth watches” for you, I’d like to hear more about your collection.

Not sure how the OP is referring to it but if it’s the same trial of thought as me then I possibly get the “stealth” reference. For example, I have the GMT meteorite along with another PM watches but find this more “easier” to wear as the WG doesn’t like as obvious as a YG or RG variant.

I’d always fancied the anniversary RG/Olive DD but have recently purchased the WG/Olive as I much preferred this on my wrist and becomes more wearable.

I know a few fellow watch friends that have the same thought process and are being more drawn towards WG as well

365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:38 PM   #5
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Don’t see why you couldn’t ask for both. It’s a PM piece and should help you towards Daytona.

Absolutely...probably the easiest conversation you’ll have

365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:45 PM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The meteorite is also not easy to get. For me PM > SS and GMT > Daytona so no comparison really.

If you must have a Daytona and ready to not follow the hype check out the PM models. The case and lugs are different compared to SS and give it a bit beefier look. The PM is well executed by Rolex imho.

For a chronograph I would look at other brands as well, many interesting brands with more legible dials to choose from.
Old 9 August 2020, 06:48 PM   #7
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Just soundboarding .. " stealth wealth watches "
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:03 PM   #8
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365DAS View Post
Not sure how the OP is referring to it but if it’s the same trial of thought as me then I possibly get the “stealth” reference. For example, I have the GMT meteorite along with another PM watches but find this more “easier” to wear as the WG doesn’t like as obvious as a YG or RG variant.

I’d always fancied the anniversary RG/Olive DD but have recently purchased the WG/Olive as I much preferred this on my wrist and becomes more wearable.

I know a few fellow watch friends that have the same thought process and are being more drawn towards WG as well

Thanks for taking the question for me!

I’ve had a WG and RG DD40, both got traded because I really need an easy adjustment on the fly for comfort. The TT CHNR made me realize how much I love the warmth of the gold you get even in the white, so I appreciate everyone’s thoughts as I think it out.

Old 9 August 2020, 11:04 PM   #9
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Just soundboarding .. " stealth wealth watches "

Couldn’t resist the turn of phrase as obnoxious as it might come off. I had a lot of scotch when I wrote that post last night. Chuckle back.

Old 9 August 2020, 11:35 PM   #10
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Nothing too crazy. But here is where I am along the downsizing but really upsizing of the collection as the box went from holding 4 to 8.

Drunkenly staring at the empty spot before bed got us this thread.

Old 10 August 2020, 12:02 AM   #11
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

I would get rid of the JLC and Tudor and get the White Daytona and Blue Skydweller
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:10 AM   #12
cts
"TRF" Member

Get rid of Tudor and JLC and acquire a platinum DD40.
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:16 AM   #13
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
I would definitely not get rid of the Reverso, that ones a classic and gives you a little diversity away from Rolex. But the Tudor can go!
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:15 AM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:18 AM   #15
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
Get rid of Tudor and JLC and acquire a platinum DD40.

DDs aren’t for me sadly. I’ve tried twice. Not having the adjustability on the fly is a comfort issue and makes the watch really annoying to wear for me personally.

Old 10 August 2020, 04:29 AM   #16
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I would definitely not get rid of the Reverso, that ones a classic and gives you a little diversity away from Rolex. But the Tudor can go!

The Reverso and BB58 are my “work” watches since I’m in education and the Rolexes don’t go to class!

The Reverso is my wife’s favorite and she even wears it herself sometimes. I’m gonna have our first dog engraved on the back of it since it’ll be the one she probably keeps since she’ll outlive us all.

Old 10 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #17
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukebennett21 View Post
I would get rid of the JLC and Tudor and get the White Daytona and Blue Skydweller

Not trying to subtract just looking to fill the last spot!

The Skydweller is sadly too big for me.

Old 10 August 2020, 04:46 AM   #18
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The meteorite is also not easy to get. For me PM > SS and GMT > Daytona so no comparison really.

If you must have a Daytona and ready to not follow the hype check out the PM models. The case and lugs are different compared to SS and give it a bit beefier look. The PM is well executed by Rolex imho.

For a chronograph I would look at other brands as well, many interesting brands with more legible dials to choose from.

I’m really odd about collecting in an all or nothing kind of way. I’ve never owned a Daytona so I can’t judge it. If I get one and love it, I’d be happy with the breadth of the collection. If don’t grow to love it, I’ll probably blow up the collection and and keep the Root Beer and throw the Daytona, Hulk and Wimbledon at going deep into the GMT. Scooping the Meteorite, Batman Jubilee, and YG green dial versions.

Then we can move on from Rolex.

So I guess, that sorts out the strategy on my end.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Old 10 August 2020, 04:47 AM   #19
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
don’t see why you couldn’t ask for both. It’s a pm piece and should help you towards daytona.
+1
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:43 AM   #20
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

I’m having trouble syncing all the quotes saying to ask for both so hopefully you all see this as the response:

I’ve found the best practice with my AD is settling on one watch and buying when it’s offered so that I can budget appropriately. I once mentioned a list of four watches I was interested in and they all appeared in a three month span. A good problem to have, but one that requires planning nevertheless. You all have helped me think through my process on this one so I thank and appreciate you all!

Old 10 August 2020, 08:05 AM   #21
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
The Reverso and BB58 are my “work” watches since I’m in education and the Rolexes don’t go to class!

The Reverso is my wife’s favorite and she even wears it herself sometimes. I’m gonna have our first dog engraved on the back of it since it’ll be the one she probably keeps since she’ll outlive us all.

Keep the JLC.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:24 PM   #22
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Nice collection that offers a good amount of variety.

I love the meteorite dials. They are a bit harder to read, but fantastic to look at. The GMT meteorite is no slouch.

Does appear your collection needs a Daytona though. I love my Daytona White SS just like I love my recent Rootbeer. Both are awesome.

Why don't you get a WG Daytona 116509 with meteorite dial? Pretty good mix of both of your choices above, while still adding more variety to your collection.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote