The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2020, 09:18 AM   #31
peterpl
Banned

^ I'll give you a bit of advice. When choosing a Rolex with a full gold bracelet or one with Oysterflex ALWAYS ALWAYS go with the bracelet.

Plus the DD40 is much nicer than the Daytona. To me anyway.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 10:49 AM   #32
wb55
"TRF" Member

Out of those I would go for the WG Daytona on Oysterflex, no question, but it depends on its overall purpose and place in a collection. Might be too much of a summer watch and probably not the most formal. Best looking of the bunch though.

DD2 isn't for me, far too bulky, but the wave dials are seriously nice and could be neligu to tempt, but the DD40 is the perfect size and proportion for a DD
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 03:16 PM   #33
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1369 View Post
So, I hung out with my AD for a bit today. He didn't have any of my preferred options. But, we tried on similar sizes to compare. Unfortunately, he had no DD2s and couldn't track any down. We tried a few DD40s and DD36s, in platinum and gold. Ultimately, I do love the size and fit of the DD40. I also got surprised per the pictures below with a beautiful Daytona White Gold on an Oyster Flex. The fit, feel and dial are amazing. A little less elegant, but very fun and can be dressed up and down. So, now I'm torn between the Daytona below and ordering/waiting for a DD40 blue dial. Thoughts or other considerations? I'm torn again!

That PT DD40 with olive dial looks best on you
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 04:46 PM   #34
wb55
"TRF" Member

If going platinum it has to be the blue platinum exclusive dial for me. Then we're talking.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 11:00 PM   #35
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
Rolex Day Date 40 or Day Date 2 in Platinum or WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
That PT DD40 with olive dial looks best on you
Thanks, Jennifer! Yeah, I want to love RG or YG pieces, but WG and Platinum works best with my skin according to my AD. I tend to agree after looking back at pics. I also tried on some RG pieces, eg GMT Root Beer. Didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
If going platinum it has to be the blue platinum exclusive dial for me. Then we're talking.
That said, I tend to agree. The olive green dial is stunning! But, if I'm going platinum, ice blue dial is key.

So, it seems folks are leaning towards the DD. If I go DD, I'm definitely all about the blue dial. My dealer is giving me until Monday to decide on the Daytona, or if I want to order a DD. He couldn't commit to timing of DD but said it might take a couple of months.

I would love to get some opinions based on the rest of my collection. Right now I have a Blue Z Milgauss, GMT Batman on Jubilee, Oris Bronze Chrono (Carl B Edition), Bulgari Black Ceramic Octo Finissimo, a Panerai Luminor 112, and a G-SHOCK 5000.

So, this will be my first PM piece. And, I wanted something special and probably a little more elegant. That said, I also have a very active lifestyle, hiking, biking, lots of driving and road trips, etc. I'm also a car guy. The dial on the Daytona is stunning and so different - incredible wrist presence and I love the utility of the Oysterflex band. It probably fits my lifestyle a little better. I also love the connection to cars.

That all said, the DD is something I've always wanted and admired. The history, the bracelet (I love a great bracelet), and tied to personal career goals. That also said, it doesn't have the same wrist presence as the Daytona or comfort, which surprised me - however, I wasn't able to try on my exact desired configuration - WG Blue Dial. (As I write this, I'm leaning back towards DD option lol...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pj1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 11:05 PM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Not a big fan of the proportions of the DD2 so I would go with option 1.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 11:10 PM   #37
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
[QUOTE=pj1369;10840563]I tend to agree. The olive green dial is stunning! But, if I'm going platinum, ice blue dial is key.

I agree. But, it is neat to actually see the green dial on a pt. DD. But my money would also be spent on an icy blue.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 01:53 AM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The Daytona would be my pick, to be honest. You will be surprised how much you will wear/like this watch. I know I was. I too was a bracelet snob for years, but the second I tried this one on, I knew I had to have it.

And...later on down the road, you can add/flip for a DD if that fire is still burning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD+OF Hand.jpg (179.2 KB, 173 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 04:00 AM   #39
kd845
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331BA | 15500OR
That olive platinum combo looks great on you. I was looking at that one as well offline so thanks for posting a good pic.. How big is your wrist size in that shot ?
kd845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 04:22 AM   #40
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The Daytona would be my pick, to be honest. You will be surprised how much you will wear/like this watch. I know I was. I too was a bracelet snob for years, but the second I tried this one on, I knew I had to have it.

And...later on down the road, you can add/flip for a DD if that fire is still burning.
Great comparison shot! Thanks for the advice and for your first hand experience. :) What have been of you favorite surprises with the Daytona if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd845 View Post
That olive platinum combo looks great on you. I was looking at that one as well offline so thanks for posting a good pic.. How big is your wrist size in that shot ?
My wrist is about 7 1/4". GL!

Old 23 August 2020, 05:14 AM   #41
pj1369
"TRF" Member

P.S. Also, not sure if this makes a difference on the advice in this thread. But the Daytona was used and factory tested/serviced (and probably lightly polished)...should I be concerned at all? I do trust my AD and have purchased multiple watches previously from him. All have been great.

Old 23 August 2020, 11:23 AM   #42
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

Love the DD II and the DJ II watch dials. I also love the size of the cases.

With that said, I agree that the DD40 has the improved ceramic pins to keep bracelet stretch to a minimum and with White Gold, this is a real consideration to think about.

Fortunately, the Platinum DD II with blue arabic numerals and ice blue dial, was made with those ceramic pins, so that bonus is certainly a real choice.

The price is the only factor (if it is really a factor for you).

If it is, then it might be worth while to wait for a better DD 40 Dial in WG, to be released?

For me, the price of PT is a factor. I am waiting for a WG DD40, with a dial that sings to me, and of course I want a fluted bezel, so my choice is only Gold.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 11:50 AM   #43
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo View Post
Love the DD II and the DJ II watch dials. I also love the size of the cases.

With that said, I agree that the DD40 has the improved ceramic pins to keep bracelet stretch to a minimum and with White Gold, this is a real consideration to think about.

Fortunately, the Platinum DD II with blue arabic numerals and ice blue dial, was made with those ceramic pins, so that bonus is certainly a real choice.

The price is the only factor (if it is really a factor for you).

If it is, then it might be worth while to wait for a better DD 40 Dial in WG, to be released?

For me, the price of PT is a factor. I am waiting for a WG DD40, with a dial that sings to me, and of course I want a fluted bezel, so my choice is only Gold.

Thanks, Lex! I think you're spot on. The price right now for PT is a factor for me, I also love the fluted bezel after seeing some live. So, I think my strategy is to (1) Get the WG or RG Daytona Oyster Flex to celebrate my birthday and promotion at work and (2) in a year or two - hopefully with some dial options that really resonate for me go WG DD or reconsider DD2 in platinum!

Now I just need to decide which gold Daytona OF to get! I found another AD nearby that can get either in a week or two for me. :)

This AD also showed me this skydweller today which surprised me in a good way, but just a little too big and weight distribution didn't feel great to me. But, cool piece.

Old 24 August 2020, 10:19 PM   #44
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

I don't love the sky dweller dial. I do like the 42mm case size, but I have large wrists so big watches look natural on me.

I started with a Tudor Sub when I was 17, and I haven't worn anything smaller than a 40mm. Now I'm 48.

It wasn't until the New AirKing was released, that I started to consider other references.

LOL, I ended up with a DJ II, and the AirKing.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 11:38 PM   #45
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
I would (and did) choose this one...

Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 02:42 AM   #46
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is tempting, but it's not new. At the price you are paying, I would want to get something new to enjoy as that special reward marking an achievement in your life.

I still think #1 is the best choice.
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:21 AM   #47
just1time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setarip View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
STUNNING WATCH...my dream watch
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:20 AM   #48
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
I would (and did) choose this one...

Absolutely stunning wrist shot! I love how the dial real comes to life on this shot!!

Old 25 August 2020, 11:20 AM   #49
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
The Daytona is tempting, but it's not new. At the price you are paying, I would want to get something new to enjoy as that special reward marking an achievement in your life.

I still think #1 is the best choice.

Thank you! I agree. I was lucky and my other AD can get me a new Daytona now. :) I turned down the used one for the same point you made above.

Tags
day date , day-date , dd2 , rolex