The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 November 2020, 03:43 PM   #1
829maxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: GO Sixties Fiery O
JLC Service Q’s

Hey All,
I’m looking at potentially purchasing a pre-owned Master Control Reserve de Marche (140.8.93) and thinking I may get it serviced sooner rather than later even though it’s running quite well per a timegrapher.

My question is whether a JLC should always go back to the manufacturer for service or if there are reputable, trusted, and more “affordable” 3rd party servicers for a JLC. Also, is this model with its basics complications too complex for any reputable local watchmakers to service assuming it doesn’t need JLC parts when serviced?

Thanks in advance! Pic for reference from the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
829maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 07:33 PM   #2
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I have had a few JLCs services at the mothership through the years. Although service has always been good, I must say that lately service has become very expensive and also the wait time has gone up to around 6 months (for a piece not in the current collection). So if you can find an AD or independent watchmaker that has a JLC part account and can service in-house that might be a good option (I don't know if this exist, but worth a check).
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 10:49 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Service is always a consideration when purchasing non mainstream watches with complications. I am a fan of JLC and have owned one before but have never had a service on one. Unless an independent has a parts account and has worked on the watches before I would send it back to JLC. Time and cost will be significant but that is part of ownership and should be factored in.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 03:10 AM   #4
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Send it to JLC. I've seen way to many independent hacks make a mess of what were nice watches. Even if the independent does it for cheaper, if the movement gets an scratched, screw heads get damaged, the watch isn't properly sealed and pressured tested, parts of the case get over polished, or other issues, is it really worth it? In addition, most manufacturers warranty their work for a year or two. For those reasons I'd stick with the manufacturer's service center.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 06:41 AM   #5
829maxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: GO Sixties Fiery O
Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
829maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
...service has become very expensive and also the wait time has gone up to around 6 months.
Thanks for the heads up, very very helpful. Big bummer, as was debating getting a JLC Reverso for my Muse / wife and i for the holidays. Long wait times for service is the destroyer, already eliminated another brand years ago due to their lack of timely service.

When JLC gets their service times down to 6 to 8 weeks will reconsider.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 07:53 AM   #7
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I had a 2005-or-so JLC Master Compressor Dualmatic serviced by JLC this year. I called them and gave them the reference number and they quoted me a price for basic service (somewhere around $800). They sent me an insured, pre-paid FedEx envelope and plenty of padding and packaging to get it there safely.

I shipped it off to Ft. Worth and received the confirmation of charges (which matched what they quoted me except that my crystal was scratched, so I asked them to replace it).

They e-mailed me five weeks later that watch was completed and asked for payment. They shipped it back to me. Door-to-door it was less than six weeks.

I have no complaints with their service.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 08:49 AM   #8
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Send it to JLC. I've seen way to many independent hacks make a mess of what were nice watches. Even if the independent does it for cheaper, if the movement gets an scratched, screw heads get damaged, the watch isn't properly sealed and pressured tested, parts of the case get over polished, or other issues, is it really worth it? In addition, most manufacturers warranty their work for a year or two. For those reasons I'd stick with the manufacturer's service center.
JLC service center in the US brushed the serial number, reference, WR etc off of the back of one of my watches (6 year old watch, the back was pristine and didn’t need any refurbishing). I had to ask them to re-etch the serial and they even managed to screw that up by engraving it in an ugly manner vs the original etch.

The manufacture in Switzerland also polished almost all of an engraving off the back of a very special vintage, irreplaceable family heirloom piece. Again, the back of the watch was not requiring a heavy polish. I got a call from the US CEO who simply said “sorry” and that was it.

This was about 5 years ago. JLC were my favorite brand prior to this. I wouldn’t touch them for purchase or service ever again. Not saying everyone has this experience but this was a 2 for 2 in terms of screw ups in my experience, one case was catastrophic as the piece was irreplaceable. I don’t disagree that in general it’s better to go to the manufacture but they are not infallible either.
dmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 01:52 AM   #9
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacintyre View Post
JLC service center in the US brushed the serial number, reference, WR etc off of the back of one of my watches (6 year old watch, the back was pristine and didn’t need any refurbishing). I had to ask them to re-etch the serial and they even managed to screw that up by engraving it in an ugly manner vs the original etch.

The manufacture in Switzerland also polished almost all of an engraving off the back of a very special vintage, irreplaceable family heirloom piece. Again, the back of the watch was not requiring a heavy polish. I got a call from the US CEO who simply said “sorry” and that was it.

This was about 5 years ago. JLC were my favorite brand prior to this. I wouldn’t touch them for purchase or service ever again. Not saying everyone has this experience but this was a 2 for 2 in terms of screw ups in my experience, one case was catastrophic as the piece was irreplaceable. I don’t disagree that in general it’s better to go to the manufacture but they are not infallible either.
So sorry to hear about your experience. So far I haven't had any bad experiences with manufacturer service centers. I don't own a JLC so no experience with their service. However, I've seen Royal Oaks polished by local independent watch makers to the point where bezels were round, and the lugs were missing their crisp edges. I've seen Subs polished by independent's to the point were the lugs didn't look the same on both sides of the watch. In addition, a relative had a GMT serviced by an independent...they didn't pressure proof the watch properly, and water got into in rusting the movement and ruining the dial. With a manufacturer one hopefully has more recourse in terms of them having the resources to make things right. If an independent screws up a watch, it is a lot more difficult to get them to make things right.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 08:59 PM   #10
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I sent in a vintage 1970s dress watch for service, simple 3 hand automatic watch. Took 14 months and was around $1500. That was about 8 years ago, they did need to send it to Switzerland and fabricate a part for it, watch came back beautiful, but just seemed a bit ridiculous to be out a watch for over a year.

I know this is not crazy when it comes to most high end watch brands, but it makes me appreciate Rolex for their quick and efficient service.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 09:28 PM   #11
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
I’ve owned a couple JLC’s over the years. I’ve always found their service department to be excellent. My experience is service time is generally around 6 weeks and no complaints with the quality of their work.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 09:47 PM   #12
SydR
"TRF" Member

A colleague has a 30 year old Reverso, which wasn't winding, so sent it to JLC in the UK for service and repair 3 weeks ago. Within 10 days he had a quote. Fault was caused by a worn crown wheel, which was covered in the standard service cost of £580, and was told to expect it to be back in 6 weeks fro m the date he accepted quote.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:21 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great stuff, JLC back on the buy list for wife.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote