The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 November 2020, 11:28 PM   #1
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Cartier Roadster XL GMT

Greetings fellow members,
Like many of you, I’ve grown my watch collection over the past several years. I am grappling with one watch in particular and was hoping for some advice.

I have a few sport watches but my Cartier Roadster is one that I think about selling from time to time. I don’t think it’s traditionally a dress watch but that is how I’ve used it. I love the unique design and attention to detail on the case. And, this watch is now discontinued which makes it harder to replace. But I am also thinking it would be nice to consolidate to a smaller rotation. Unfortunately, these watches have not held their value as well as my others so it’s not really going to free up significant cash towards a new purchase.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7C5C66DA-870F-4491-971E-BC6AC8BE9C89.jpeg (94.6 KB, 176 views)
midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:44 PM   #2
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Wow, 45 views and no feedback
Old 10 November 2020, 02:34 AM   #3
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
So, i had the exact same watch several years back and ultimately decided to sell it to free up some money for another purchase. I can tell you i regret that decision to this day. I made a big mistake letting it go.

There is almost not a day that goes by that i don’t wish i had it back in the collection. Ultimately you’ll have to reach your own decision if it’s a long term keeper..... but if you’re looking for my vote - i would highly suggest keeping it.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:37 AM   #4
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Roadsters were popular in their day. However, I've always thought it was a love it or hate it piece. It never did anything for me. The Roadster was definitely a sports watch. Cartier made a dress watch in a similar shape, called the the Tortue. It was a classic Cartier design that was brought back in a more modern size in the late 90s and 2000s, but available only in precious metals.

As for value, the Cartier's that seem to do the best in terms of retaining value are their very classic pieces with a long history, rather than pieces created to attract a new clientele such as the Roadster and Calibre.

In the end, if you like the watch and won't get as much cash as you would like from it, why not just keep it and enjoy it?
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:13 AM   #5
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
So, i had the exact same watch several years back and ultimately decided to sell it to free up some money for another purchase. I can tell you i regret that decision to this day. I made a big mistake letting it go.

There is almost not a day that goes by that i don’t wish i had it back in the collection. Ultimately you’ll have to reach your own decision if it’s a long term keeper..... but if you’re looking for my vote - i would highly suggest keeping it.

Thanks that is very helpful feedback. As you can tell, a part of me is concerned that if I sell it, I would regret it. Thanks for your vote!
Old 10 November 2020, 03:24 AM   #6
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Roadsters were popular in their day. However, I've always thought it was a love it or hate it piece. It never did anything for me. The Roadster was definitely a sports watch. Cartier made a dress watch in a similar shape, called the the Tortue. It was a classic Cartier design that was brought back in a more modern size in the late 90s and 2000s, but available only in precious metals.

As for value, the Cartier's that seem to do the best in terms of retaining value are their very classic pieces with a long history, rather than pieces created to attract a new clientele such as the Roadster and Calibre.

In the end, if you like the watch and won't get as much cash as you would like from it, why not just keep it and enjoy it?
Thanks Dino944, I think you hit the nail on the head. After becoming more of a watch enthusiast, I've realized the Roadster is not one of the "classic" pieces with the long/storied history. On the other hand, it was one of those pieces that attracted me to the brand as a new client!

Keep the feedback coming, love the perspectives!
Old 10 November 2020, 03:44 AM   #7
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
I would keep it unless you need the exact amount for a new purchase. Why not just save up a little?

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #8
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer View Post
I would keep it unless you need the exact amount for a new purchase. Why not just save up a little?
I hear you, I am trying to keep watches that will only see wrist time and minimize my life. I've started getting rid of anything that I feel doesn't get used as much as it should. Its difficult with my watch collection as some of my new pieces (which happen to be widely popular) are getting much more wrist time. I am grappling with this dilemma....
Old 10 November 2020, 03:50 AM   #9
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
I think you should keep it

I'm guessing you will get a low buy it offer and you will regret it unless you are 10000% confident about selling the watch. otherwise I think you will have some regrets down the line.
Old 14 November 2020, 12:23 PM   #10
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Keep it. I love Cartier watches especially the Roadster! This is my Cartier Roadster Chronograph XL gifted by my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RaZCaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 08:19 AM   #11
AlexSpB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
If you dont use it - sell it and lets someone else enjoy it. You will feel less guilty about getting a new toy.
AlexSpB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 07:29 AM   #12
loanrngr
"TRF" Member

I can honestly say that my Chronograph XL is the one watch that gets compliments every time I wear it :)
loanrngr is offline   Reply With Quote