The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2020, 02:42 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Advice on the Speedy DSOM Vintage Black....

......so let me preface that this would potentially be my first Omega and I'm really debating whether: 1. the ceramic case will allow me to wear it as a daily w/o constantly worrying about impact/cracking and 2. if the size will work for a 6.5" wrist.

Regarding #1, it seems that the biggest issue is being careful not to have the watch drop from any height onto tile, concrete, etc, which is how most of these cases/lugs crack. Otherwise, they seem to hold up pretty well day to day. Has that been others' experiences who own DSOTM models?
I'm looking to wear this watch in rotation as a daily to work seeing patients with dress shirts.

Regarding #2, despite the watch being 44.25mm, the lug to lug dimensions on this watch are just over 49mm, and I've found anything under 50mm works fine on my wrist-- i.e., no overhang, but I also know it will still have quite the presence at that size.

On the secondary market, the watch seems to be holding its value pretty well after the initial 25-30% depreciation from retail, and I'll be able to get the watch at about 25% off.

Aesthetically, it's always been my favorite Speedy, along with the black DSOTM in Sedna gold.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 03:33 PM   #2
JonnyMass
"TRF" Member

I've owned both the Vintage Black and original DSOTM...I gotta say I much preferred the original DSTOM. For me the vintage iteration is just not as clean for a daily watch as the light brown of the strap is such a contrast with the dark case. I sold the vintage version and replaced it with the original version which I then sold to my father a couple years later. Seeing him wear it all the time makes me miss it and think about buying another one! It's a difficult watch to sell even for around $7000...I'd pay no more than $6,000 from a private seller.
JonnyMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 03:35 PM   #3
JonnyMass
"TRF" Member

Oh and also I have a 6.5 inch wrist and it fit perfectly due to the black case. It doesn't wear like a 44mm watch at all...this is coming from someone who owns a 15450 37mm AP.
JonnyMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 02:25 AM   #4
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMass View Post
I've owned both the Vintage Black and original DSOTM...I gotta say I much preferred the original DSTOM. For me the vintage iteration is just not as clean for a daily watch as the light brown of the strap is such a contrast with the dark case. I sold the vintage version and replaced it with the original version which I then sold to my father a couple years later. Seeing him wear it all the time makes me miss it and think about buying another one! It's a difficult watch to sell even for around $7000...I'd pay no more than $6,000 from a private seller.

Great feedback — thank you. I also owned the 15450 but sold it as it felt too dainty. I was lucky enough to get a 15400 and later a 15202ST, which is just the right size.

Regarding what you said, what exactly do you mean by the strap of the vintage black not being clean enough for a daily watch? From what I saw on the watch box reviews, the ‘feaux’ patina of the markers on the dial allows for easy readability in all lighting conditions.
Are you saying that isn’t the case?

And on resale, if I understand you right, you’re saying that the vintage black DSOTM is tough to sell even at $6k ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 December 2020, 07:49 AM   #5
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I have a 6.75" wrist and own the grey side meteorite. I, too, think it wears much smaller than a 44 and will probably work well on your wrist.

Check out the "Which Omega R U wearing today..." thread to see how it looks on my wrist. There should be some recent ones.

I haven't noticed the ceramic case to be an issue at all - if anything, it is more scratch resistant than SS.

If you like it and have the means, pull the trigger. They're great watches!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 11:55 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

DSOTM variants wear really well on smaller wrists (I have 6.5") due to the nice curvature on the case and the very reasonable lug to lug imo....the 44mm diameter really throws off a lot of people. It is a little on the thicker side for a Speedmaster but not unbearable at all if you're used to slightly taller watches like Seadwellers etc. I have to say....the Grey Side Meteorite is something to behold in person. Not usually a fan of Sedna gold but man...that watch oozes character.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 01:38 PM   #7
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
DSOTM variants wear really well on smaller wrists (I have 6.5") due to the nice curvature on the case and the very reasonable lug to lug imo....the 44mm diameter really throws off a lot of people. It is a little on the thicker side for a Speedmaster but not unbearable at all if you're used to slightly taller watches like Seadwellers etc. I have to say....the Grey Side Meteorite is something to behold in person. Not usually a fan of Sedna gold but man...that watch oozes character.
Yeah, I love the grey side of the moon, but the price is a bit more than I want to pay for a DSOTM watch. I can get the vintage black for 25% off and I love the tan strap/ecru looking markers that seem to have great lum against the satin black case.
Old 11 December 2020, 04:26 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Yeah, I love the grey side of the moon, but the price is a bit more than I want to pay for a DSOTM watch. I can get the vintage black for 25% off and I love the tan strap/ecru looking markers that seem to have great lum against the satin black case.
Sounds like a win win to me. Discount and it's the one you prefer.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote