The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
amanda
Banned

Buying a Rolex is tricky

I am pretty close to buying one now and have been weighing up my options new vs used. Anyways I have a budget in mind. This gets me a 2 yr old watch or for an extra $100 a brand new one across the road from where I work.

Sounds great right?

Well no.....

The shop that discounts Rolex so much has some of my money, so thought I'd buy it there and assist in getting a new watch. Except today I discover this particular AD isnt an Authorised AD of Rolex.. which means that I could potentially be buying some unkown watch from god knows where... hell it mightn't even be real! I seriously doubt it'd be a fake one... but still.

I even popped my head into the RSC in Melb and they confirmed all of this. Seems the Australian legal system allows this to go on.

So what do I do? Risk it and buy the new one, thus getting some use from my Credit in this store? Or avoid it and buy a slightly cheaper used one? I could get myself a Mont blanc pen or piece of jewellery with my credit... but really I dont want that, I just want the watch!

I wont list any names, Melbournians can probably figure it out....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 04:07 PM   #2
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Icon3 Advice from a friend

Hi Amanda

Trust me on this. You want to buy new from an Official AD. That way you get the full waranty, peace of mind, buying pleasure etc.

If you buy slightly used, grey etc : you never know. I mean slightly used rolex could be one that has been dropped off the desk a few times, had a replacement part put into it, any other hundred things.

In the end its your choice but why make mistakes that have been made by others. Thats the whole point of knowledge and history, that when someone suffers a bad experience, they tell others they care about, so that the same mistake wont be made again.

The panerai i am picking up from Auckland Airport tax free came from the AD, i could have walked accross the street and gone grey and saved $2,000.00 (yes thats right, the grey dealer had them for 2k less) but i have been down that grey/used road before.....

I mean also some people are watch experts, they dont worry about buying grey/used but i am not an expert and also as a human i make mistakes. The 'mistakes' can be reduced to zero if you go AD.

It is better to save and wait a while. I mean so what if prices are going up 8% etc. Put your money in fixed deposit and it will go up 8% also.

I just looked and looked at DMANS pics of his base (thanks DMAN, saw the pics on paneristi GTG also, good stuff!!) and saved a little more and bought BNIB from AD.

but in the end your choice. Whatever you decide TRF will support and stick by you.
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 04:36 PM   #3
amanda
Banned

thanks sub2004 - thats great advice, however, I sold my Tudor and have no watch... so need to get something soonish.... I HATE not wearing one! Polar heart rate monitors aren't exactly cool to wear to work!
Old 25 September 2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

The shop across the road from your work doesn't sell fakes.

The shop across the road does have an excellent reputation for service, and I believe will see you right in any situation.

I would buy a brand new watch from the shop across the road any day, than buying a 2 year old watch (unless the 2 year old was significantly cheaper i.e. $1000+ cheaper.

The watch from across the road will be unworn and will have all the up to date latest mods in terms of bracelet and no spring bar holes on the outer sides of the case. A 2 year old watch from across the road will have no warranty period left from Rolex.

Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Amanda,

I trust Lol-x who also happens to be a good friend of James (Gedanken). I trust him enough to heed his advice and get the NEW one from across the road. At the end of the day, brand new is brand new.

Just go for it....stop thinking and hesitating so much. He who hesitates....ultimately loses out.

So is it a GMT-II?

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 05:31 PM   #6
amanda
Banned

I trust Lol-X too and will go for it.. thanks Stephen again, you are a legend!!!!

Sorry I was a bit impatient by PM'ing you and popping a question in here. I apologise for any offence I might have caused. I was just a bit perplexed

JJ - your darn tooting it's a GMT! I am not swapping and changing my mind, I 100% know what I want.. it's just a case of getting the best bang for buck!

Edit - in my defense I wasnt saying the shop sold fakes, I was just highlighting what the RSC told me and insinuated too!

Last edited by amanda; 25 September 2006 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: in my defense....
Old 25 September 2006, 05:37 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I trust Lol-X too and will go for it.. thanks Stephen again, you are a legend!!!!

Sorry I was a bit impatient by PM'ing you and popping a question in here. I apologise for any offence I might have caused. I was just a bit perplexed

JJ - your darn tooting it's a GMT! I am not swapping and changing my mind, I 100% know what I want.. it's just a case of getting the best bang for buck!

Edit - in my defense I wasnt saying the shop sold fakes, I was just highlighting what the RSC told me and insinuated too!
We are all very happy and excited for you, Amanda. Is it an all black bezel? And stop wasting time yakking with us....rush out there and grab that dream of yours!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 September 2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hey Amanda 100 posts in 1 month, you do have a serious case or Rolexitis

Remember cash talks across the road..and *% walks.

Also "you snooze..you loose".

Thanks JJ for the vote of confidence

Good Luck, and look forward to the good news "I'm excited!" as Big Kev would say
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 05:48 PM   #9
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Hey Amanda 100 posts in 1 month, you do have a serious case or Rolexitis
how embarrassment....

Old 25 September 2006, 06:52 PM   #10
miner
"TRF" Member

I may have got my sd from the shop across the road!!
It's real, got a tick from a Rolex ad.
Just the watch is sourced from Singapore and the papers have a Singapore Dealers Stamp.
Can't wait for the pics
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 07:27 PM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post

I'm very excited for you Amanda. I know the feeling and can't wait for you.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:31 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I'm very excited for you Amanda. I know the feeling and can't wait for you.
Take it easy, Paulie....we all know what happens to you when you get excited, you tosser!!!

Old 25 September 2006, 07:34 PM   #13
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Take it easy, Paulie....we all know what happens to you when you get excited, you tosser!!!
Get your mind out of the gutter fool. I was being nice to the only lady you haven't scared away yet.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:36 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Get your mond out of the gutter fool. I was being nice to the only lady you haven't scared away yet.
Okay, tosser, 50 push-ups for that spelling of "mind"!!

Old 25 September 2006, 07:37 PM   #15
mailman

Quote:
Okay, tosser, 50 push-ups for that spelling of "mind"!!
What are you talking about?
Old 25 September 2006, 07:38 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
What are you talking about?
A tricky tosser!!

Old 25 September 2006, 07:41 PM   #17
mailman

Quote:
A tricky tosser!!
Old 26 September 2006, 12:07 AM   #18
Versus

Quick question.

Could someone (amanda, miner, Lol-x) please tell me where is "the shop across the road" in Melbourne to which you all appear to be referring?

Please PM me separately if there is some forum constraint on advertising.

Many thanks.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 02:29 AM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Sounds good, Amanda I can't wait to hear the big news
Old 26 September 2006, 02:31 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You really should talk to James about this OBSESSION you have with Paul
Old 26 September 2006, 04:09 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
You really should talk to James about this OBSESSION you have with Paul
WHY? You think James is more exciting than Paulie? You know something I don't, punk?

Old 26 September 2006, 06:38 AM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WHY? You think James is more exciting than Paulie? You know something I don't, punk?
This is called DENIAL, JJ Please, talk to someone about this
Old 26 September 2006, 09:05 AM   #23
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I may have got my sd from the shop across the road!!
It's real, got a tick from a Rolex ad.
Just the watch is sourced from Singapore and the papers have a Singapore Dealers Stamp.
Can't wait for the pics

Thanks miner thats exactly what I wanted to know! I am going to go for it....

Those that have asked what shop have been PM'ed a response. Once again I apologise for jumping to the ridiculous conclusion I jumped too and wholeheartedly apologise to the shop in question.. should they ever know about this.

This store might be doing wrong in Rolex eyes, but they dont deserve to be cut down in size from all the other watch dealers... I fell for that hook, line and sinker.
Old 26 September 2006, 09:55 AM   #24
mike
"TRF" Member

Hey Amanda,
Sorry I'm late to the party. Let me extend a big congrats!!!!!!

Sure sounds like you have more than enough info to have a great feeling about purchasing from "across the road".
Can't wait to see the "new arrival"!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 10:38 AM   #25
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Whoops, weighed in late on this one.

Well, Amanda, you've got the word from Stephen already, so all I'll add is that until recently, that shop was in fact an AD. I believe Rolex SA got their knickers in a twist about some parallel importing practices and decided that they didn't want to play anymore. Pity - that shop's moved a lot fo stuff for the boys in Geneva.

Miner: hey my SD's got the Singapore stamp and papers too! oh, wait a minute - I got mine from Singapore ...

Versus, welcome aboard - and now we've got five Melburnians! I'll PM you.
Old 26 September 2006, 11:06 AM   #26
amanda
Banned

Your not wrong about RSC Melb having their knickers in a knot, that lot will all be wearing skirts soon to accomdate these knotted knickers . I popped my head in there yesterday to ask about them and since then have had the receptionist ring me once and the Gen Manager also ring me this morning.

I am going to buy it from the watch across the road regardless, seems they have been punished by R for selling lots of watches! Maybe R is too snooty for its own good

They now have my name down and know where i ws thinking of buying the watch from, so lets hope if my watch needs a warranty repair I dont get booted out because they know I purchased the watch from a non-AD.. but then again, if the warranty has a stamp from an AD in HK etc what can they do????

It's all fun in the end, and not ruining my buying experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Whoops, weighed in late on this one.

Well, Amanda, you've got the word from Stephen already, so all I'll add is that until recently, that shop was in fact an AD. I believe Rolex SA got their knickers in a twist about some parallel importing practices and decided that they didn't want to play anymore. Pity - that shop's moved a lot fo stuff for the boys in Geneva.

Miner: hey my SD's got the Singapore stamp and papers too! oh, wait a minute - I got mine from Singapore ...

Versus, welcome aboard - and now we've got five Melburnians! I'll PM you.