The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 March 2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Solus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Submariner Chromalight Lume question

Hi all,

I managed to acquire my first Submariner this week from a Rolex AD in Essex. I'm pretty stoked with it as I've wanted a Sub for as long as I can remember.

For reference I've purchased a Submariner with date in Black Model 116610LN in Stainless steel.

I've noticed something though which I'm not sure is normal or not, so I thought Id'd ask here.

When I look at the watch in the dark - after having given it some photons from a torch - I can see the blue Chroma light markers in action. They are bright for a depressingly short period then drop in output to very low. I know this is quite normal.

My issue is that after having charged the markers I can clearly see that all are at the same level of brightness apart from the small dot on the second hand. The second hand marker is noticeable not quite as bright as ALL other chroma light markers on the watch. Is this normal?

I know it seems like a monumentally trivial issue but I thought I'd ask anyway to see if others have the same issue? I'm exceptionally detail focussed so the discrepancy in glow levels annoys me.

What do you guys think? Also, thanks for taking the time to read the wall of text above.
Old 14 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

Not monumentally trivial. Can't really comment without seeing pictures, and might be hard to take pictures in the dark. Generally advice would be, if it bothers you a lot, take it back to the AD and let them know, they should/will handle it or let you know it's normal.
Old 14 March 2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The level of luminosity on any measure is entirely dependant upon the sheer volume of luminous material.
It follows that the Second hand simply has less of it, so it will be not as bright.

You will likely find it to be adequate regardless in practical terms.
That is unless your eyesight is on the wane.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Solus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. I've tried to take a pic. It hard to see in the picture as the camera is more sensitive. You can see that the second dot - approx at 42s is not quite the same colour/brightness as the other markers.

It works in practical terms, its just that its different tonally to the other markers.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The level of luminosity on any measure is entirely dependant upon the sheer volume of luminous material.
It follows that the Second hand simply has less of it, so it will be not as bright.
This was my thought. I'll have to check mine to see if I notice a difference. On the whole, I will say that as much as I appreciate the lume, I don't use it all that much. After the novelty of the new watch (and the accompanying obsessiveness) wears off, this may be the kind of thing you look back on and wonder why you ever worried about it. You've got a five-year warranty, so there's no hurry to get it remedied. Give it some time, and see if it still bugs you.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:19 AM   #6
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Congrats on the Sub! In general, I find the lume to be very disappointing. Still a fantastic watch, and my SubC is my favorite.

Congrats again.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Solus
"TRF" Member

I thought it may be volume related however its approx the same width as the minute hand and when it crosses it you can easily spot the difference.

What I suspect has happened - if this isn't a common thing to other subs - is that maybe the face and hands were from one batch and for some reason the second hand is from another?

As a whole though the lume itself is a little disappointing anyway. I'm pretty sure the Super-luminova on my Seamaster lasts longer. Other than the above niggle I absolutely love the watch now just walking about trying to avoid scratches (Which I know is impossible) :)

It's very minor, and yes its very new. It just seemed that with all you read about Rolex and their exacting design/build process it was a bit deflating to spot a flaw - however small.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:35 AM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
I'm pretty sure the Super-luminova on my Seamaster lasts longer.
Super-LumiNova is brighter at first, to be sure. I don't know if it lasts longer. The real test for lume is to check it after several hours, in total darkness, when your eyes are adjusted to the dark - say, in the middle of the night on your nightstand. The lume is intended to improve legibility in darkness, not light up the room. Granted, it looks really cool right after it's fully charged, but that's not its purpose.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I thought it may be volume related however its approx the same width as the minute hand and when it crosses it you can easily spot the difference.

What I suspect has happened - if this isn't a common thing to other subs - is that maybe the face and hands were from one batch and for some reason the second hand is from another?

As a whole though the lume itself is a little disappointing anyway. I'm pretty sure the Super-luminova on my Seamaster lasts longer. Other than the above niggle I absolutely love the watch now just walking about trying to avoid scratches (Which I know is impossible) :)

It's very minor, and yes its very new. It just seemed that with all you read about Rolex and their exacting design/build process it was a bit deflating to spot a flaw - however small.
Stick around. You'll see a lot more noticeable issues than this with new Rolex. It's a mass produced watch, and minor flaws are to be expected. Enjoy your new watch
Old 14 March 2018, 09:33 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

It’s not the width, it’s the depth. The hour plots and hour/second hands allow for thicker deposition of lume. The second hand doesn’t. The color and brightness, by comparison, is not identical.

Now the other issue is how you are viewing it. Your eyes and brain may be better at processing the visual image than 99% of owners. So you may notice something others don’t.

Parting point, is that small dot on the second hand moving while you observe its comparative color/brightness? How about a picture - any decent smartphone can handle that task.

Stop the movement, line up the hour and second hands adjacent to the second hand, give it a full minute under intense light, lay it down and shoot in subdued light. It doesn’t have to be complete darkness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 14 March 2018, 10:04 AM   #11
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I always read that the Rolex chromalight was not very good compared to Seiko, when I bought the 116610 I had little expectation that it would be useful and that made me sad because I am one of those who wake up many times in the night and consult the time, with the pleasant surprise that I can see the time ALL the night WITHOUT charging previously the chromalight.

Now the light of the second hand in my case is identical to the rest, maybe you should take it to AD
Old 14 March 2018, 10:17 AM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

I just checked mine. The second hand is the same brightness as everything else. If anything, my hour hand might be just a tad less bright, but I'm not sure. It doesn't bother me enough to worry about.

If your second hand is obviously dimmer than the rest of the markers, that does sound like an anomaly. It's up to you to decide if it bothers you enough to take it in, but based on your description, I think you'd be justified in doing that.
Old 14 March 2018, 04:47 PM   #13
scubadiver1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,Omega SMP
Just checked mine and to be honest difficult to actually tell, I would seriously not worry about it and enjoy this fantastic classic, I need glasses for reading and even waking up in the middle of the night the lume on my watch is still readable in the dark without my glasses on so thats good enough for me. enjoy your watch
Old 15 March 2018, 11:22 AM   #14
Scotsjon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver1 View Post
Just checked mine and to be honest difficult to actually tell, I would seriously not worry about it and enjoy this fantastic classic, I need glasses for reading and even waking up in the middle of the night the lume on my watch is still readable in the dark without my glasses on so thats good enough for me. enjoy your watch

Here’s mine. Looks the same brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 March 2018, 12:50 PM   #15
SA1
"TRF" Member

Lume certainly doesn’t last long on 5 series, great at first, fades very quickly...
Old 30 August 2021, 04:23 AM   #16
Frazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 124060
Hi Solus, interested to see what you did in the end, have you lived with it or took back to AD?

I have recently purchased a 2021 sub and have noticed a small but but annoyingly visible irregularity on the 12 o'clock Chromalight marker.

I have decided I can't live with it and will have to take back for a replacement or fix.

Thanks

Frazer
Old 30 August 2021, 10:44 PM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazer View Post
Hi Solus, interested to see what you did in the end, have you lived with it or took back to AD?

I have recently purchased a 2021 sub and have noticed a small but but annoyingly visible irregularity on the 12 o'clock Chromalight marker.

I have decided I can't live with it and will have to take back for a replacement or fix.

Thanks

Frazer
Hi Frazer,
Welcome to the forum
I just want to let you know this thread is pretty ancient, but I wish you luck with your enquiry
Closed Thread