The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2006, 06:30 AM   #1
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
A Trip to the AD/the new Gold GMT II

I was at my AD today to add a link to my ss sub date. I haven't gained weight but I've been working out and I guess my wrist must be getting a little larger? Either that or I'm becoming much more MACHO

While I was waiting I spoke with the manager and I told him that I noticed he had none of the new gold GMT II's in the counters (they have over 100 watches on display). He told me that there was a gentleman in the back of the store with one on his wrist that had JUST purchased one 5 minutes prior to me walking in the store. Sure enough the guy walked over and was wearing the beauty.

He had JUST purchased a brand new gold GMT II with the black face/bezel and it was gorgeous. When he walked away the manager said it lists for about $23,000 but I thought it would be class-less to ask how much the guy actually paid.

Then the manager told me to wait, and he went into the vault and came out with another one!!! However this one was the gold GMT II with the black bezel and green face/dial. The watch was pretty, but the green face just didn't do it for me.

Then they handed me back my simple, classic ss sub, and although it wasn't quite a shiny, new, gold, GMT II, it still looks great on my wrist. And now it fits a little better on my manly, he-man, macho wrist

(Although the AD told me that I did look like I gained a little weight)
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 08:37 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

I had the oppertunity to study the gold GMT II recently. It is a heavy watch!
The case, to me, seemed much thicker than the current GMT with the 3185 movement. Indeed I thought it thicker than an SD, but I didn't have one to compare.
The lugs are much thicker. At first I thought it would be to much on the wrist. WRONG!! The watch really seemed to fit quite well.
As to the ceramic bezel,IMHO Rolex has hit a home run with that!
Very smooth, snapping into place perfectly with each adjustment!!

The addition of the triplock crown balances perfectly with the new case.
The one I played was the green face, and I must say for me that would not be my choice. The black is stunning!! Loved the green date wheel!! If Rolex does make it in SS I hope they allow the green date!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
In the last two weeks, my AD has had TWO TT new GMT-IIs come in and go out of his shop. The full gold one is still sitting there. Might be a while before someone comes along to fork out such a large amount.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Both the Gold and TT are gorgeous, I am really leaning towards a new TT for my next purchase.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 03:34 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Both the Gold and TT are gorgeous, I am really leaning towards a new TT for my next purchase.
You won't be disappointed, Roger....absolutely stunning!! Very solid looking watch with gold links that are SOLID...a welcome change from all the other TT sports watches (TT Daytona being the exception!)

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 September 2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
THAT IS GORGEOUS!! Does anybody knows the exactly price on that?
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 01:25 PM   #7
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Sounds nice, David But, if just one wrist is growing, maybe it's time to switch up, huh?
Old 24 September 2006, 02:59 PM   #8
jhnnyjr100

Watch: DJ turn o graph
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You won't be disappointed, Roger....absolutely stunning!! Very solid looking watch with gold links that are SOLID...a welcome change from all the other TT sports watches (TT Daytona being the exception!)

JJ

Hey JJ that is a real beauty....
all they need is a green date wheel and it would be my choice for a next watch!!
jhnnyjr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 03:43 PM   #9
RogerF
"TRF" Member

In the US I believe the new TT is $8275 USD.
Old 24 September 2006, 03:48 PM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
And I cannot find one anywhere. Maybe if I offer a finder's fee. Find one for me someone and if I can strike a deal and get it before the price hike, I'll paypal you $100!

Any bites?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 04:19 PM   #11
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Here in Canada (Toronto anyways) both Gld and TT are avail. I wish I could help you out in the US
Old 24 September 2006, 04:50 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
In the US I believe the new TT is $8275 USD.
No Roger...it's actually surprisingly cheaper than the TT YM which lists at $8,200.

This new TT GMT-II lists at $,78++...just under $8,000. But I betcha you can get a much bigger and better discount on the TT YM than you could get on these new babies. They sure are moving fast....and the supply is nowhere even close to the demand.

Cheers - JJ

Old 27 September 2006, 12:07 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I'll pay a tad extra to get it fro Canada, remember the price hike.... anyone?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 12:45 AM   #14
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would Rolex charge less for the brand new GMT than they would for the TT YM? What makes the YM so much more expensive?

You'd think I knew, since I owned one, but I don't..
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 02:30 AM   #15
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would Rolex charge less for the brand new GMT than they would for the TT YM? What makes the YM so much more expensive?

You'd think I knew, since I owned one, but I don't..
I haven't verified what the prices are, but if the TT YM is more I can only guess it's because of the solid gold bezel....maybe?
Old 27 September 2006, 03:05 AM   #16
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I haven't verified what the prices are, but if the TT YM is more I can only guess it's because of the solid gold bezel....maybe?
Makes sense, except, I'm about 99% positive that the bezel on the YM is simply an insert just like the submariner. The only difference is, it is not painted black or blue, but left a brushed gold.
Old 27 September 2006, 03:21 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
Makes sense, except, I'm about 99% positive that the bezel on the YM is simply an insert just like the submariner. The only difference is, it is not painted black or blue, but left a brushed gold.
Well, I remember a while back Jocke posted a pictorial of him taking apart his rolesium YM and he confirmed the bezel was in fact a solid piece of platinum, no insert. Based on that, I cannot imagine the YG bezel being constucted differently since they likely use the same dies for schmelting (said in bad dutch accent). Not the exact same dies, but you know what I mean.

Bottom line... there is no logic to the Rolex pricing other than to make a tonne of money per watch, which is fine. But trying to figure out why one TT model is more than another is like doing this...
Old 27 September 2006, 03:42 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hi Seth,

Al is right. The YM is more pricey because of its ALL SOLID GOLD bezel - no brushed gold nonsense. Like their Platinum bezel, the YM models are either all solid gold or all solid platinum - no mucking around.

But, yes, I too am surprised as to why the YM would still be a few hundred dollars more expensive than the new GMT-II which has a much better clasp and, more importantly, ALL SOLID GOLD LINKS as opposed to the YM's hollow gold links.

JJ

Old 27 September 2006, 03:44 AM   #19
rusi
Banned

Tt Gmt Ii

Hi, a friend based in HK, commander B747-440 wanted the same TT GMT, Nowhere available in HK, not available in Rome, got him thru another forum friend from LAX Swiss Luxury for USD 7k.(10% disc.) UK prices a bit upward.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 04:13 AM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Seth,

Al is right. The YM is more pricey because of its ALL SOLID GOLD bezel - no brushed gold nonsense. Like their Platinum bezel, the YM models are either all solid gold or all solid platinum - no mucking around.
JJ I think the brushed gold refers to the finish, not the construction. The spaces between the numbers on the YM bezel are not polished (i.e. brushed finish).
Old 27 September 2006, 04:20 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ I think the brushed gold refers to the finish, not the construction. The spaces between the numbers on the YM bezel are not polished (i.e. brushed finish).
Aaah, okay. Thanks, Al!!

Old 27 September 2006, 05:24 AM   #22
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. Satin would have been a better choice of words. Interesting about the bezel. I thought it was actually on TRF that I heard they were inserts. I never took mine apart to find out..

JJ is right though. Doesn't seem like enough to keep the cost up above the new GMT..