The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 September 2021, 10:33 PM   #31
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
You cannot buy from a better seller (both knowledge as well as his personal ethics).
Based on what? A high volume of sales that have all been publicly commended and reviewed as such? Some poll voting him the best seller? Without revealing who he is, or why you’re praising him so, it’s all just rhetorical.
I agree with many above who believe the inserts have been artificially faded. Besides looking nearly identical, they both have that flat, uniformity that comes with bleaching.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:33 AM   #32
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Hear that everyone? Please stop buying vintage Rolex now.
It's similar to that old saying about poker; if you're seated at game and you can't figure out who the mark is, it's you.
One needs to spend at least four years studying this market before buying anything, and even then you'll get screwed. Twenty years ago the mistakes were bearable, but not anymore.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:42 AM   #33
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
It's similar to that old saying about poker; if you're seated at game and you can't figure out who the mark is, it's you.
One needs to spend at least four years studying this market before buying anything, and even then you'll get screwed. Twenty years ago the mistakes were bearable, but not anymore.
Not sure I agree with this. Sure, we all need to be careful, but there are some excellent reputable dealers out there selling honest vintage Rolexes that don't require a PhD in Rolexology to buy with confidence.

I certainly wouldn't buy vintage off of eBay, for example, without doing a ton of homework (maybe four years!), but there are other places you can buy without worrying too much about making big mistakes.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:04 AM   #34
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
A bit harsh, I would say. Just like when buying anything used, a bit of knowledge helps not getting screwed. if you spend some time here for eg, you wouldn't need that long to figure out who is good to buy from. Shopping for Modern Rolexes aren't any safer as the fakes are getting better and better. All the good brands are getting faked, you just have to know where to shop from.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:22 AM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Sure, we all need to be careful, but there are some excellent reputable dealers out there selling honest vintage Rolexes that don't require a PhD in Rolexology to buy with confidence.
Yeah, it might indeed take four years to educate yourself, but what will prices be like four years from now? A newbie might be better off paying up to buy from a good seller.
Old 15 September 2021, 05:18 AM   #36
1675-David
"TRF" Member

It's not easy it seems, to get your hands on a modern Rolex these days either Every time I venture out of the vintage section on this forum I'm met with a boo-hoo fest of would be buyers who can't get the hands on modern Rolex for love nor money. You have to be sleeping with your AD and buy thousands of dollars with of stuff you don't want in order to get on a waiting list that means you might get the watch you want some time 3-5 years in the future... maybe. It's a tough time for Rolex lovers everywhere
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:37 PM   #37
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
A bit harsh, I would say. Just like when buying anything used, a bit of knowledge helps not getting screwed. if you spend some time here for eg, you wouldn't need that long to figure out who is good to buy from. Shopping for Modern Rolexes aren't any safer as the fakes are getting better and better. All the good brands are getting faked, you just have to know where to shop from.
You make a lot of good points, particularly about spending some time here. Just look at the first page of this post. I wonder if the OPs head isn't spinning after reading the comments about the two Vintage Rolex Sport watches he wanted opinions on.
And you're correct about modern Rolexes but it's like the difference between diving with nurse sharks and diving with great whites.
Old 15 September 2021, 08:54 PM   #38
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

I certainly wouldn't buy vintage off of eBay, for example, without doing a ton of homework (maybe four years!), but there are other places you can buy without worrying too much about making big mistakes.
I agree.
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 10:35 PM   #39
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBigCrown View Post
I disagree.

I agree.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 16 September 2021, 06:10 AM   #40
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
If you haven't been collecting vintage Rolex for at least the last 5 years, it's to late to start now. Save yourself the headache and buy a new Sub or get a Batman on a Jubilee bracelet. More joy, fewer doubts.
OP you got me thinking. I own a 14060M Z series 2 liner and the new Sub 124060, but am looking to expand my Sub vertical to a 1680 or 5512/5513 (before 1980). The last models of the 5513 are too similar to the 14060 so I’m leaning to the older matte dials. So, I thought about the older vintage Subs but as I’m realizing it may be too late in the game to find a piece in excellent condition (non Franken) and that I can afford. :(
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:36 PM   #41
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
Based on what I can see from the pics, hard pass on both.
————
IG @onthedial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote