The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2021, 08:37 PM   #31
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
A prominent crown begs to be wound….
Old 19 September 2021, 12:19 AM   #32
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Not quite. My Sub runs faster when it's low on reserve

Completely agree
I notice my new 124060 is 0s when healthy reserve but +1s as reserve runs low
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:25 AM   #33
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Only possible downside is wearing down the threads, as already mentioned. But that's a lot of winding.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:33 AM   #34
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Is there a drawback to hand winding a Rolex watch? Of course you hand wind to get it going but will it hurt to frequently hand wind instead using a watch winder. Thanks!
I think this is a good use of the "everything in moderation" mantra, so it probably depends on what you mean by "frequently". As you likely know, with an automatic watch the spring in the main barrel has to be able to slip once it is fully wound so that the rotor's never-ending action doesn't break the spring or put undue stress on the rotor's gearing. So if your watch is already mostly wound from the automatic action and now each morning you add another 20 winds, most of which are just dragging the slipping spring along on the barrel wall, I can see how this would be less than ideal.

But in "normal" circumstances, say with a weekly topping off of the reserve, I think your biggest concern would then be the integrity of the crown and tube. Provided that you are careful to gently engage the threads each time you'll likely be fine. But there is a reason these parts are considered consumable and routinely replaced at a service - they are not meant to last forever. Obviously their life will be shorted the more you unscrew/tighten them. So to put it another way, the concern applies not so much to the winding itself, but the pre/post winding activity of unscrewing/screwing the crown.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:37 AM   #35
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I think this is a good use of the "everything in moderation" mantra, so it probably depends on what you mean by "frequently". As you likely know, with an automatic watch the spring in the main barrel has to be able to slip once it is fully wound so that the rotor's never-ending action doesn't break the spring or put undue stress on the rotor's gearing. So if your watch is already mostly wound from the automatic action and now each morning you add another 20 winds, most of which are just dragging the slipping spring along on the barrel wall, I can see how this would be less than ideal.

But in "normal" circumstances, say with a weekly topping off of the reserve, I think your biggest concern would then be the integrity of the crown and tube. Provided that you are careful to gently engage the threads each time you'll likely be fine. But there is a reason these parts are considered consumable and routinely replaced at a service - they are not meant to last forever. Obviously their life will be shorted the more you unscrew/tighten them. So to put it another way, the concern applies not so much to the winding itself, but the pre/post winding activity of unscrewing/screwing the crown.
That makes sense, thanks. I guess my definition of frequently was at most 1-2 manual winding per week.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote