The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 November 2021, 10:14 AM   #1
curare78
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Newbie, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Good evening

I’ve been an avid modern watch collector for last 20 years but have never jumped into the vintage arena. I’ve been watching vintage Rolex videos, etc and I think I’ve caught the vintage Rolex bug. I’ve recently found a 16758, that I’ve fallen in love with. Beautiful patina, reliable grey market dealer, all original but without box and papers. It was lightly polished once, but all corners/edges are crisp.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My other question is I’ve bought and sold modern watches without an issue. My worry is if I get bored is it hard to sell a vintage watch. Should you expect to loose the standard 10-15%, unless the market continues to increase.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

SB
curare78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 10:22 AM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

I would encourage you to post pics of the watch you are looking to buy so you can get our feedback on that specific watch…both condition wise and price wise. If the price is within a reasonable price range for that particular model you don’t need to worry about loosing any 10-15% IMO…
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

And maybe make the title of the thread a bit more specific, to catch the attention of the 16758 experts.

If you buy a watch from a dealer and then end up selling it, you could certainly lose a lot more than 15% IMO, especially since that reference appeals to a fairly narrow cross section of collectors. If you buy from a private seller at a fair price, then you might only lose 10-15%. Of course, if you hold onto it for a while and prices rise, you will be ok.

But if it is a collector quality watch, you'd better make absolutely sure that the watch is what the seller says it is. People come on here all the time saying that they are buying an unpolished all-original watch, and then when they finally show photos, it's not quite what they thought it was. For example, if you pay full price for a watch with a service dial, you will never get your money out of it.
Old 6 November 2021, 12:23 PM   #4
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Post pics to get folks' full opinion. Love the 16758 reference, especially in black.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 12:47 PM   #5
curare78
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried to upload pics but they won’t seem to upload. The watch is at tarry town Jewlers. They only have one 16758 for sale. I’m case anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks
Sal
Old 6 November 2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.tarrytownjewelers.com/pr...-master-16758/

It's way out of my wheelhouse, so there's no way I could comment on originality. The only thing I'd say is that it's not lightly polished IMO based on the lug holes. But it's gold after all, so it's extra hard to find a sharp case, and the lugs look plenty thick so it could easily be refinished very nicely.

Old 6 November 2021, 01:56 PM   #7
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
The watch has been polished but the case is still nice. Can’t say I have seen a 16758 with this bracelet but the date code is correct for a watch from 82. The dial has damage from the hands. I believe the dial is original but the markers have been altered with diamond’s rather than nipples.

I would pass because of the dial. I usually see nice 16758s around 30k so I would keep looking.

Check out Fog City Vintage, they might have a lead on one.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 09:42 PM   #8
Woody
"TRF" Member

I think it should have a riveted oyster or a jubilee bracelet - the dial also looks to have been modified as I have not seen a nipple dial with diamond markers. So I would say that it has a non-original bracelet and (possibly) a modified dial…..and it has had a moderate polish (a bit too much for my liking). The price is also a bit on the low side for a good example of this model……that should always make you think. Your decision, buy what you like (that is the most important factor) but if you decide to purchase then go in with your eyes open.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2021, 12:07 AM   #9
curare78
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys so very much, I truly appreciate your insight. Im going pass and take my time looking for a better example. I will post pics when/if I find the "right" one. Thanks again.