The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2022, 09:59 AM   #1
CobraVengeance
"TRF" Member

Servicing every 2 or 3 years??

Hola amigos,

I’m the owner of a 2007 submariner and I wear it every single day and despite it being one of my valuable possessions I don’t treat it with kit gloves.
I have to stress that I know very little about watches so in 2019 when I started to feel the watch vibrating a little when my arm was moving I had to get it serviced. I took it to a very well established jewellers and watch merchant here in the centre of Dublin and they serviced it in June 2019 for €450.
Less that 2.5 years later the watch started losing time and is now vibrating and stopping altogether. I went back to the jewellers and told them I was disappointed to have to get it serviced again so quickly. I was then told that they need to be serviced every 2 or 3 years and they laughed at me expected 5 - 10 years from a service. I didn’t have the receipt with me at the time so was unsure of the exact date of service. They took the watch from me and said they will be able to check against their records when they open the watch.
They called me 15 minutes later to say that they had no record of servicing my watch.
I returned to the shop adamant that they had serviced my watch. Again they were dismissive of me and said that they keep a record of every watch they open and put some kind of stamp or marker on a watch they have serviced and mine had none. Upon me not backing down they agreed to check the watch again. This time they said that the watch was serviced in 2019 but not by them as the stamp or marker was not one of theirs and in any case since it had been over 2 years I would have to pay for another service anyhow (now €650).

I took my watch, went home, searched the place and found my receipt for that jewellers in 2019. So now I would really appreciate your perspectives on the following before I get back in contact with them.
A) should I be upset about needing a service so soon after June 2019?
B) should I be upset that they didn’t log the service properly?
C) should I be concerned that some staff member did this off the books or something (I did pay by card)
D) should I be upset that their is a marker they don’t recognise in my watch?
E) how would you react to a situation like this?

I am new to this forum and while I have read some existing topics I am under the impression that nobody devices watches this regularly and certainly I would struggle to afford it.

There were more expensive servicing options but also some cheaper ones. I thought that I was going to a very well regarded old school Dublin jeweller but their dismissive attitude to me and the lack of care when it came to logging my service has me concerned about what they did to my watch.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated
CobraVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 08:17 PM   #2
CobraVengeance
"TRF" Member

Have I been had?

Hi guys, has anyone any thoughts on my situation. I have to get back to the jeweller I was dealing with and I know he is going to try and spoof his way out of this so any guidance is greatly appreciated
Old 23 February 2022, 09:21 PM   #3
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I've had my 16800 that I bought in 1985 serviced twice. It runs perfectly. Send your watch to a Rolex Service Center.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 09:28 PM   #4
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
If I was you I would send it back to an official RSC. Not sure what your options are like over there in Ireland but even if it meant posting it over the water to the UK, at least you know you will be getting a proper service and refinish (if that’s what you want) and the work comes with a full 2 year warranty. I would imagine the costs to yourself won’t be too far from the 650 euro you have already been quoted, but worth it for the quality of work and peace of mind.

Regarding your issue with the local jewellers, I'd take the receipt back and ask them what they are playing at as you don’t feel any confidence that the watch was serviced at all by them given what they've told you, and it cost you 450 euros!
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 10:07 PM   #5
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I've had my 16800 that I bought in 1985 serviced twice. It runs perfectly. Send your watch to a Rolex Service Center.
Same here, just had my 3rd service done since 85
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 10:09 PM   #6
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Frankly, I am wondering why you are dealing with this place at all. Just bring it to a Rolex Service Center and let them do what they do. I assume a big city like Dublin will have an RSC. Don't bring it to a jeweler or an authorized dealer, especially if you cannot trust them. If he fooled you once because he did not do a good job the first time, then shame on him. But bringing it back there again and being fooled again then thats your fault.

If you bring it to an RSC you will notice how much softer your pillow will be when you sleep at night.

Old 23 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on a great watch. Sorry you are having issues but the good thing is they can be rectified. There are may view points on servicing watches but in my experience of thirty plus years you get what you pay for. So many times we are locked into AD's and they act as middle men between the manufacturer and the owner. Sometimes they use inhouse techs and do not reveal that they did and charge RSC prices. It sounds like the AD you are dealing with should be written off and the watch should be sent to RSC and done properly. You will pay but it will be right. I would waste no more time with the AD and I would contact the RSC and begin the process of submitting the watch directly. The good thing is they will communicate directly with you with no middle man. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 11:18 PM   #8
stevestil
"TRF" Member

RSC immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 11:45 PM   #9
CobraVengeance
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

He rang me this morning to say that he found a record of the service. He said he was away at the time and his technician brought the watch home to work on it and put his own marker on the watch and that’s why he didn’t recognise it!
He is adamant that watches made in 2007 unlike the more recent ceramic models need servicing every 2 or 3 years and Rolex advocate this.

He won’t be getting my watch back
Old 24 February 2022, 12:05 AM   #10
legacy404
"TRF" Member

It is possible that the new issue isn't their fault and that perhaps the watch took a hard hit at some point during that 2-3 year span. However, I'd be wary of bringing the watch back to them, judging by their initial reaction and less than professional handling of the issue, it doesn't reflect well on the quality of service they would provide.
legacy404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 12:09 AM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

I’d only ever use RSC to service my Rolex. You should get many years of trouble free use and peace of mind.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 12:11 AM   #12
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
i would bring the receipt and watch back to the jeweler, slap the receipt to their face and ask for an explanation of what they said before, ask for a free service this time and never return again.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 12:17 AM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'm going with option (F):

Don't go near those cowboys again, forget what you paid them and put it down to a valuable lesson learned the hard way. Take or send it to a RSC. When you get it back, abide by the service intervals they advise.

As well as giving you a warranty and authentic paperwork, the RSC won't hammer a stamp into it. Your watch will be grateful.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:04 AM   #14
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
yes. yes. yes. yes. never return.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:10 AM   #15
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Give them the chance to make it right after you produce the receipt. They will need to do spotless service this time, or you’ll wring them a new one with a bad review or the equivalent to the BBB if you have one over there.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:13 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Welcome.

Forget the investigation as much time has passed and start fresh at RSC.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:15 AM   #17
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVengeance View Post
Hola amigos,

I’m the owner of a 2007 submariner and I wear it every single day and despite it being one of my valuable possessions I don’t treat it with kit gloves.
I have to stress that I know very little about watches so in 2019 when I started to feel the watch vibrating a little when my arm was moving I had to get it serviced. I took it to a very well established jewellers and watch merchant here in the centre of Dublin and they serviced it in June 2019 for €450.
Less that 2.5 years later the watch started losing time and is now vibrating and stopping altogether. I went back to the jewellers and told them I was disappointed to have to get it serviced again so quickly. I was then told that they need to be serviced every 2 or 3 years and they laughed at me expected 5 - 10 years from a service. I didn’t have the receipt with me at the time so was unsure of the exact date of service. They took the watch from me and said they will be able to check against their records when they open the watch.
They called me 15 minutes later to say that they had no record of servicing my watch.
I returned to the shop adamant that they had serviced my watch. Again they were dismissive of me and said that they keep a record of every watch they open and put some kind of stamp or marker on a watch they have serviced and mine had none. Upon me not backing down they agreed to check the watch again. This time they said that the watch was serviced in 2019 but not by them as the stamp or marker was not one of theirs and in any case since it had been over 2 years I would have to pay for another service anyhow (now €650).

I took my watch, went home, searched the place and found my receipt for that jewellers in 2019. So now I would really appreciate your perspectives on the following before I get back in contact with them.
A) should I be upset about needing a service so soon after June 2019?
B) should I be upset that they didn’t log the service properly?
C) should I be concerned that some staff member did this off the books or something (I did pay by card)
D) should I be upset that their is a marker they don’t recognise in my watch?
E) how would you react to a situation like this?

I am new to this forum and while I have read some existing topics I am under the impression that nobody devices watches this regularly and certainly I would struggle to afford it.

There were more expensive servicing options but also some cheaper ones. I thought that I was going to a very well regarded old school Dublin jeweller but their dismissive attitude to me and the lack of care when it came to logging my service has me concerned about what they did to my watch.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated
A) No - it happens sometimes
B) No - life is too short
C) Not now - see B above
D) Only if Rolex is concerned - see F below
E) By taking your watch to an authorised Rolex Service Centre (RSC) - See F below
F) https://www.rolex.com/watch-care-and...nd/dublin.html There's no RSC but the Rolex AD in Dublin will arrange to have it sent to the RSC in London.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:18 AM   #18
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
They probably just lubed it first time if anything and are blagging the fee.
I wouldn't give them the time of day " no pun intended "
Just do it properly and pay the price and the proper history goes with your watch and not have nagging doubts.
They've stiffed you once don't go back for seconds.
Old 24 February 2022, 01:27 AM   #19
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
Find another service center or go to RSC.

I have a variety of watches to include several Rolex models. I've worn a few in every climb and place, and in my humble opinion, servicing should last longer than 2 or 3 yrs.

-For example,
I brutalized my Pam, to the point that in 2006, Hong Kong boutique thought it was fake when they first saw it. They serviced it and it went back into brutal service. It lasted 6 yrs before i needed another service. I had it serviced again in Bangkok in 2013, at which point, it left brutal service to a normal rotational wear, and has yet to give me any problems. Its been 9 yrs, no issues yet.
My Sub and Date just have each been serviced only once after 8 yrs.

2 to 3 yrs sounds strange to me, however i think other more knowledgeable members will have more technical expertise in this matter.
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:32 AM   #20
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hi guys, has anyone any thoughts on my situation. I have to get back to the jeweller I was dealing with and I know he is going to try and spoof his way out of this so any guidance is greatly appreciated
My gold Daytona from 2000 is at RSC currently for its first service since 2000. Admittedly it is not a daily wearer but certainly I have worn it multiple times per month since 2000. Warranty on my watch or yours is no longer applicable but in your case the jeweler who serviced it might feel somewhat obligated to give you a discount on fixing it?! Good luck mate!
Old 24 February 2022, 01:44 AM   #21
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum

I’d only ever use RSC to service my Rolex. You should get many years of trouble free use and peace of mind.
Like many large concerns, RSCs vary from place to place and time to time. In the UK at the end of the 1980s I wouldn't touch them, so bad had the service been from 1967 to 1989 on my 1675 GMT. On a number of of occasions the watch had to be returned to them for remedial work and it was obvious that they were not even close to delivering a quality, personalised service - and they were charging around £500 per service! I have never used them since.

The technicians at RSC aren't some sort of superhuman beings, they are merely people trained as watch technicians. There are in most cities many very good, skilled independent watchmakers, some ex-Rolex, who provide a technically-competent, more personalised service than RSC - it's just a case of finding one near you.

On the subject of servicing frequency, I've always aimed for every 5-7 years, although it's not critical. The 'every 2-3 years' advice is laughable.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:47 AM   #22
scubadiver1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,Omega SMP
Just got mine back a few weeks ago from RSC, £630 money well spent watch comes back like new with a 2 year warranty and a lovely green rolex case
scubadiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 04:34 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
A Rolex should not need to be serviced unless it needs it, or, on average, every 5 to 10 years as you believe.

I'm not sure what you expect this shop to do though. Almost no shop, or even Rolex, warrants a service for more than 2 years. Even at that, the warranty covers their work, not normal wear or if it breaks something outside of their actual work when servicing.

I'm not sure that I would deal with this shop further.
Old 24 February 2022, 04:46 AM   #24
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A Rolex should not need to be serviced unless it needs it, or, on average, every 5 to 10 years as you believe.

I'm not sure what you expect this shop to do though. Almost no shop, or even Rolex, warrants a service for more than 2 years. Even at that, the warranty covers their work, not normal wear or if it breaks something outside of their actual work when servicing.

Yep - there’s nothing more to say really other than send it to RSC.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 05:04 AM   #25
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

He rang me this morning to say that he found a record of the service. He said he was away at the time and his technician brought the watch home to work on it and put his own marker on the watch and that’s why he didn’t recognise it!
He is adamant that watches made in 2007 unlike the more recent ceramic models need servicing every 2 or 3 years and Rolex advocate this.

He won’t be getting my watch back
Better than nothing...... I agree with friends here
send it to RSC.
2 years ??? no.....two years if you were a Comex diver for normal use 5 / 6
Congrats for your Sub
Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 07:21 AM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Certainly time to move along, especially given their assertion of the 2-3 year service intervals. That was generally applicable in the early 20th century when the oils were different.
One should get at least 5 years between services for a hard worn watch with Rolex indicating an average service interval of 10 years and I've even met one person who was up around 20 years before he sent his watch in for its first service
Time to send it into Rolex for a proper service that's backed up with a 2 year International Service Warranty.
When it comes to a service, Rolex is hard to beat(generally)
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 07:24 AM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Agreed 100%
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 09:02 AM   #28
Maharishi
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Coke
RSC always.
Both my GMT and Sub have been serviced 10yrs ago and continue to run great. Actually whichever one I’m wearing on a given day will be the one going surfing with me.
Maharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 09:09 AM   #29
GMT Aviator

I certainly wouldn’t be letting them open up the watch again, simply from the way they handled you and denied their work in the first instance when you took it back.

I suspect they gave the watch a basic lube and not much else. Did they really strip it down to its component parts, clean, lube, replace where necessary and rebuild the watch? I doubt it.

Just go into your nearest AD and have them send it to RSC for service. You’ve saved nothing using your local jewellers. Then consider leaving the jewellers you dealt with a review on Google.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote