The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 February 2022, 07:07 AM   #1
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Greubel Forsey Sports Watches

So a lot of independents these days are getting hyped up and releasing sports watches of their own, but I don’t see much being talked about yet of Greubel Forsey. Perhaps it’s the price point but I always admired the level of attention to detail that you got with these watches, but was always deterred by the wearability as I have smaller wrists.

I’m curious to know if anyone here has owned or at least handled any of the brand’s sports watches like the Balencier and the Balencier S2. On paper the size is massive but from what I’ve seen in pics/videos it might be more wearable than the dress pieces due to the lightness and the short lug to lug?

Anyways, what do you all think about their sports watches in general? Worth considering or are there still better options at that price point?
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 09:05 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I've tried them on. Personally, I wouldn't wear one. The style is actively repellent for me, legibility isn't the best. The finishing is great, of course, and the horology is great as well. If given the choice between GF and RM, it's GF 100/100, since GF are actually finished. Obviously, I'm not an RM fan, but would recommend GF if you like the look and the fit as they are clearly high quality watches.

The watches will not work with small wrists. No GF will really work with small wrists, in my opinion. I think it's thickness as well as diameter. That's my take, I have about 19cm wrists and GF/RM fit well, but I mean, do you want a watch to look too big for you?

You should try them on. Then you get a real sense of it.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:59 PM   #3
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I love their designs, finishing is off the charts, and they fit great but they are asking all the money and more for it. For me just too many other great options for a fraction of the price.

The new LF Sport Auto or Romain Gauthier Continuum are maybe $50k? Sports watch from Voutilainen or De Bethune around $90k give or take. The finishing may well be far superior to all of these less expensive options so that's a consideration but with most of that not being visible given the architecture, I'm not sure how much that matters, certainly not $100k especially in a sports watch. The only 3 hand no complication non pm non jeweled sports watches I can think of in this price range are RMs and I think that's a red flag. While this might be a good deal compared to an RM, that's about it. Just like RM, great watches but pricing is based on exclusivity more than content and as far as exclusivity, I have no doubt GF will also release other colors, metals, etc producing far more of these than the initial 152 until they are exhausted and introduce the s3.

Finally, the $40k price tag for the bracelet just makes a mockery of the entire pricing model. The watches are amazing with some of the best finishing in the industry but I can't see how this bracelet isn't anything other than a money grab and it casts doubt on the value / pricing of the watches. Don't even get me started on the service prices, $8k for a simple time only watch is crazy.

Again, I love these, I want one, but I'm not a buyer at this price, too many other great watches at a fraction of the price I'd rather try first.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 02:08 PM   #4
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I really liked them when I tried them on before. Like above, the bracelet pricing killed any respect for the brand for me
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 02:24 PM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The way it works with Gruebel - if you are concerned about the price, its probably not for you.

Gruebel is amazing, however diminishing returns to get the last 4-5% percent of top finishing, design, and countless hours over minute details.

I generally find them a tad big, wish they were a little slimmer/smaller. Outside of that, blown away.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 03:16 PM   #6
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have two GF pieces -- 24 seconds tourbillon asymetrique platinum and. the balancier sport and I have a 6.5 inch wrist. The former is on the large size but balances well. The later is one of the most comfortable watches I own. I have posted on both here in the past
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote