The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 May 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
swlamedic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black SS Sub
Why does Rolex not pursue replica companies, manufacturers, website, and the such?

Beofre anyone tells me this thread is already started, I just want you to know, I searched, and read and did not find it. If I had, then guess what...I would not be writting this one. With that said, here is my question.

Why does Rolex not pursue replica companies, manufacturers, website, and the such? I mean, they have registered trademark, and copy right laws. I do not understand why large companies allow these, no offence, third world crap companies to make a dime by riding their high end coat tails. It is not only Rolex in which I am perplexed. I saw some Coach purses the other day. Now, I am no woman, nor am I fashionable enough to know what a purse looks like, but these things were fake. I mean fake enough that the fonts changed from word to word, and the quality of these things were unbelievably bad.

Nothing pisses me off more than to be sitting in a fine cigar lounge, puffing away at my stogie, sipping a fine scotch and to over hear a conversation of some moron who just bought a $125 Rolex. I mean, to each his own. If I can’t afford a Ferrari, I would drive a Corvette. You know? I would not buy a Miata and put Ferrari emblems on it. It just screams tasteless bastard. There is nothing wrong with a $1,500 Tag or even a Kenneth Cole or Fossil. Yeah, I said it. If that is all you can afford, then that is all you can afford. I would never knock anyone who likes fine watches to buy the best they can afford. By the way, I have a Kenneth Cole.

I am very fond of Automatic watches no matter what the brand, as long as it keeps half decent time. I mean really, you have to reset the watch every other month anyway, for the ones that have dates, so you might as well update the time while you are there.

So, what am I rambling on about, because I did go off on a tangent, didn’t I? I would like to see these fake/replica places get shut down. I would like to see them get pursued in international courts, if there are any, and I would like people who wear them to get fined. I would love even more that if you brought a fake one in for repair, they would confiscate it, or call you in when it was “fixed” to be greeted by the police.

Seriously, they were arresting kids five years ago for downloading music from the internet, saying they were stealing. What about all of these fakers? No, that is not misspelled. I would just like to see some companies get shut down. They advertise very bluntly, in your face, on their websites. It would not be hard to find them, I would think.

Maybe when these guys start getting shut down, and people are unable to purchase these fake pieces of crap, I can rest easy. Ok, I am done ranting. You may reply now.
swlamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
Wow. You're awfully hostile for someone who's posting for the first time here. I posted a rather long explanation of this over on the the other thread, but since you can't seem to find it I'll sum it up for you. If they are selling you a replica Rolex,and they tell you that the watch is in fact a fake Rolex, they are not violating any law. The fast majority of companies that manufacture them and/or sell them are not in the US, or in places that are in jurisdictions with trademarked or copy-written law that would apply to them. Since it is highly improbable that the movement inside the fake watch resembles that of a genuine Rolex, one cannot make the case of theft on intellectual property either.
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
I personally hope this guy sticks around... fiesty.

I had an Ebay auction ended by Rolexes lawyers because they assumed (wrongly) that the dial was aftermarket. They said that it was trademark infringement. I'd love to see these companies shut down as well, and for some of the same reasons. I don't care for someone anyone posing. There was a thread on here the other day where a member was approached by someone with a fake and basically told that him, the member with a real Rolex, he had overpaid. One of them definitely overpaid.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I think that Rolex (along with other brands) has started going after such companies.
In some countries, if one is caught (at customs) with a fake Rolex, they may be subject to paying 10 times (maybe more) the MSRP of the same original watch.
Going after a physical company (let alone a couple) is easier said than done especially when companies are located/registered in Asia...
My on this matter
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Many fakes, replicas, knockoffs, whatever you want to call them (and not just watches either) are produced in countries such as China and Vietnam.

Try to name five major brands that are Chinese in origin (goods we buy in the U.S.) and five major brands that are of Vietnamese origin.

You have Kia, Hyundai, Samsung, Sony (all household names) that are produced in Korea and Japan. But none that come immediatley to mind from China or Vietnam.

It's hard because there are not a lot of brands that these two countries (and others who similarly produce fakes) produce.

China, for example is a MAJOR manufacturer, but they produce goods mainly for other companies with origins in other countries.

It is very difficult to leverage against the Chinese government and the Vietnamese goverment for many reasons.

One, however, is what are Western companies/governments going to do? Are they going to threaten, "Shut down all counterfeiting in your country or we're going to let our countries counterfeit your goods!"

The countries would say fine, because few major companies are trademarked in China. They, in essence, only produce, not create.

This is one of MANY, MANY, MANY factors that plays into problems with counterfeit goods--not limiting the discussion to simply Rolex but also L.V handbags and the like.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSovereign View Post
Wow. You're awfully hostile for someone who's posting for the first time here. I posted a rather long explanation of this over on the the other thread, but since you can't seem to find it I'll sum it up for you. If they are selling you a replica Rolex,and they tell you that the watch is in fact a fake Rolex, they are not violating any law. The fast majority of companies that manufacture them and/or sell them are not in the US, or in places that are in jurisdictions with trademarked or copy-written law that would apply to them. Since it is highly improbable that the movement inside the fake watch resembles that of a genuine Rolex, one cannot make the case of theft on intellectual property either.
Is that true? I don't think saying it's fake makes it ok...
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
AIKO
"TRF" Member

I think they try. However for every one shut down, ten open. China is the issue, 99% of fakes are made there. Good luck getting anything done there.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 12:20 PM   #8
Jeff in Florida

Watch: Sub LV M series
It is never ok to sell a fake Rolex, whether you disclose it or not, its infringement of the trademark
Jeff in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 12:49 PM   #9
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
Is that true? I don't think saying it's fake makes it ok...
No.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 01:33 PM   #10
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlamedic View Post
Beofre anyone tells me this thread is already started, I just want you to know, I searched, and read and did not find it. If I had, then guess what...I would not be writting this one. With that said, here is my question.

Why does Rolex not pursue replica companies, manufacturers, website, and the such? I mean, they have registered trademark, and copy right laws. I do not understand why large companies allow these, no offence, third world crap companies to make a dime by riding their high end coat tails. It is not only Rolex in which I am perplexed. I saw some Coach purses the other day. Now, I am no woman, nor am I fashionable enough to know what a purse looks like, but these things were fake. I mean fake enough that the fonts changed from word to word, and the quality of these things were unbelievably bad.

Nothing pisses me off more than to be sitting in a fine cigar lounge, puffing away at my stogie, sipping a fine scotch and to over hear a conversation of some moron who just bought a $125 Rolex. I mean, to each his own. If I can’t afford a Ferrari, I would drive a Corvette. You know? I would not buy a Miata and put Ferrari emblems on it. It just screams tasteless bastard. There is nothing wrong with a $1,500 Tag or even a Kenneth Cole or Fossil. Yeah, I said it. If that is all you can afford, then that is all you can afford. I would never knock anyone who likes fine watches to buy the best they can afford. By the way, I have a Kenneth Cole.

I am very fond of Automatic watches no matter what the brand, as long as it keeps half decent time. I mean really, you have to reset the watch every other month anyway, for the ones that have dates, so you might as well update the time while you are there.

So, what am I rambling on about, because I did go off on a tangent, didn’t I? I would like to see these fake/replica places get shut down. I would like to see them get pursued in international courts, if there are any, and I would like people who wear them to get fined. I would love even more that if you brought a fake one in for repair, they would confiscate it, or call you in when it was “fixed” to be greeted by the police.

Seriously, they were arresting kids five years ago for downloading music from the internet, saying they were stealing. What about all of these fakers? No, that is not misspelled. I would just like to see some companies get shut down. They advertise very bluntly, in your face, on their websites. It would not be hard to find them, I would think.

Maybe when these guys start getting shut down, and people are unable to purchase these fake pieces of crap, I can rest easy. Ok, I am done ranting. You may reply now.
What makes you think that Rolex doesn't pursue replica companies, manufacturers, website, and the such? They do and are well aware of most of the websites and counterfeits and, in fact, they do a pretty good job at it, but there are thousands of them out there, and when one is shut down, another one surfaces somewhere else.

Rolex is in business to sell new watches, not pre-owned or vintage/antique watches or parts. Their primary concern is selling new watches and protecting their brand name and trademarks. Rolex does not lose a dime on fake watches, it is the consumer or willing buyer that makes the choice to purchase a counterfeit Rolex. Then you have the unknowing buyers who purchase counterfeit watches that, not unlike many other types of consumer goods, get stuck in the end. Usually they are bargain hunters that are looking for a deal, and have made a conscious decision not to buy from a reputable seller or authorized Rolex dealer.

It is a jungle out there, as we all well know. Cheers!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
mfer
"TRF" Member

It is called gov't. If a gov't doesn't respect the patent laws of another company what can you do?!?! It is up to the gov't that allows imports and that puts a heavy burden on them. I agree is sucks and I like you bold intro to TRF. Hope you stick around.

welcome!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Imtiaz
Banned

Watch: Daytona, Sub, DS,
Patents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
It is called gov't. If a gov't doesn't respect the patent laws of another company what can you do?!?! It is up to the gov't that allows imports and that puts a heavy burden on them. I agree is sucks and I like you bold intro to TRF. Hope you stick around.

welcome!

Yes this is a govt. problem indeed. China does not give a Rat's tail for patents and people are encouraged to export and earn hard currency for the country.

The fake watch industry in China is as big as the real watch industry is in Swiss.

Most of the fakes make their way to HongKong, Indonesia and Thailand.

Not to Singapore as these are very seriously policed. (And you get lashed too).

Japan has numerous laws, yet there are blatent ads for "Copy Watches" on the web. In fact Japan too has an industry making fakes, the very high end of course.
Imtiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 11:48 AM   #13
DHLChief

Watch: Savings Vaporize
Jen is right. Simply saying an item is a counterfeit does not mean it is legal to manufacture, sell or possess. Many counterfeits, whether it is watches, handbags, clothing are confiscated each year and destroyed. The problem is the market. As long as there is a market for these, they will be around. Look at the drug trade. It would dry up tomorrow if there was no market for drugs (especially in the USA).

Stick around... I like your outrage at this issue and the rest of us, I am sure, agree that more needs to be done.
DHLChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 07:33 PM   #14
LuvMyRolex

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSovereign View Post
Wow. You're awfully hostile for someone who's posting for the first time here. I posted a rather long explanation of this over on the the other thread, but since you can't seem to find it I'll sum it up for you.
Hostile? Only towards the fakers. Seemed pretty humorous in other places. Welcome to the forum Stick around, OK?
LuvMyRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 01:30 PM   #15
myrolex
"TRF" Member

i think rolex company do not care the repxxxx company because more replica more powerful for rolex!
myrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 03:02 PM   #16
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Best way to stop the counterfeit market

is to STOP BUYING THE DARN THINGS. It's supply and demand.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrolex View Post
i think rolex company do not care the repxxxx company because more replica more powerful for rolex!
That is brilliant!!!!!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Why does Rolex not pursue replica companies, manufacturers, website, and the such?
Where's your proof that they don't?

I would suggest that it is not quite as simple as it might appear.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 07:12 PM   #19
snapster
"TRF" Member

Let's approach this counterfeit problem from a buyer's perspective...

* you are looking for a genuine rolex.
* you don't want to get ripped off with a fake.

What do you do? You go to the AD to buy it.

Now consider the flip side of this concept. Imagine you are in Rolex Corporate's shoes...

* you KNOW there are a lot of fake Rolex watches out there.
* you also know that anyone who is willing to pay several thousand dollars will DEFINITELY WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY BOUGHT A LEGIT PIECE...

So what does this do? It drives people to their local AD!!

The fact that there are so many fake Rolex watches out there (good fakes and bad fakes) is actually a motivating factor for people to go to their local AD to buy the REAL thing with ZERO chance of getting a fake.

That being said... if you are in Rolex Corporate's shoes... maybe it's not so bad to have those fake rolex watches out there... ;)
snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 07:39 PM   #20
blackmsport
Banned

the out-number of fake rolex outhere could work in Rolex Favour.... FREE WORD OF MOUTH advertising

as they know those people who wear fake rolex and rolex admirers and would never afford to buy one.... putting Rolex brand on their hands equal free advertising for Rolex in the mass market

If I were Rolex CEO I would leave it as it is rather than spending mil $ trying to shut down the IMPOSSISBLE

Those fake rolex out there create a huge brand awareness
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 08:17 PM   #21
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
First off I like your style. The Fakers suck I agree. I am not sitting on the rolex board of directors so that said I have no idea what is going on or how they feel about fakers. As for how I feel I think it sucks. I have a work buddy who bought one at one time. Not only did the thing break after 3 months (the movement) and stopped working but the metal started to change or turn. He stopped wearing it. So at the end of the day he spent $150.00 for 3 months of feeling like he had a Rolex and me for example spent well thousands on watches that will (with service of course) last many lifetimes.

Try getting a fake rolex serviced? ha ha
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote