The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 July 2022, 12:44 PM   #31
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
If the rumors about a new Tudor Ranger 39mm are true, I will definitely be checking it out.
Moose500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 12:53 PM   #32
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I recently purchased a Longines Spirit, Green dial. I think it makes a excellent field watch. Mine came with a bracelet and strap. Prestige edition. I now have it on a green canvas strap and it is extremely light and comfortable.

Indices are applied, minute hand reaches the outer chapters for detailed reading as does the red tipped second hand.

I think it's a excellent field type watch and one heck of a value.

The watch is 40mm, fully lumed, 100m water resistance with a very nice and easy screw down crown. The movement is the L888.4 Chronometer grade with Si hair spring. It's accurate, Anti-magnetic and has a double domed sapphire crystal with anti reflective coatings. 5 year warranty as well.

Please excuse the smudges, finger prints and stains as I have been wearing this one nonstop for a couple weeks and did not clean it for these photos.
This is such a great value. I've been looking at these, as well as the Spirit Zulu Time. The Prestige edition also seems like a good box set with 2 straps plus stainless bracelet.

Question about the bracelet - I think the standard edition has a hidden clasp style bracelet. Does the Prestige also have this style or is it more sporty like the clasp on the Spirit Zulu Time?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 01:05 PM   #33
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Stowa seems to have some really nice variety and they are very reasonably priced. This German company dates back to 1927 and made watches for the military during WW2. The Flieger series has some pretty cool options. Many of their pieces offer the choice of both hand wind as well as automatic.

Old 9 July 2022, 07:50 PM   #34
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Seiko Alpinist?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 12:53 AM   #35
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
This German company dates back to 1927 and made watches for the military during WW2.
Not to make this thread in any way political, but that would not be a selling point for me.

By the way, this has nothing to do with the war and everything to do with the strong ties between the Luftwaffe and the Nazi party.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 03:11 PM   #36
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Not to make this thread in any way political, but that would not be a selling point for me.

By the way, this has nothing to do with the war and everything to do with the strong ties between the Luftwaffe and the Nazi party.
Not sure what politics has to do with watchmaking. I meant nothing by it and that's not at all what this thread is about. IWC was actually the largest supplier of watches for the Axis, as well as one of the top suppliers to the Allies. In fact, about a dozen very well known Swiss and German watchmakers produced watches and other precision instruments for both sides.

I only meant that the legibility seems really good with these and they are at a great price point. They aren't a new company, so there are many years of QC and manufacturing experience producing their own watches. No, I don't own any but when I studied and then worked in Germany back in the 90s there was a watch store in Duesseldorf that I liked to visit and they had lots of vintage pieces. That's where I first saw these.

Old 10 July 2022, 03:32 PM   #37
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I’m a fan, especially now that it comes in 37, too
Dang, 37mm? I did not know that they made 2 versions. Awesome.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 11:07 PM   #38
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Not sure what politics has to do with watchmaking. I meant nothing by it and that's not at all what this thread is about. IWC was actually the largest supplier of watches for the Axis, as well as one of the top suppliers to the Allies. In fact, about a dozen very well known Swiss and German watchmakers produced watches and other precision instruments for both sides.
Oh, I know you meant nothing by it , I meant political in the sense of veering off into debate about who supplied what, and to whom, during WWII and if that impacts one's views of the company today.

IWC is the perfect example illustrating my feelings on this. It would be hard to wear a BP43, knowing it was a visual revival of a watch specifically designed for the Luftwaffe. But I own a Mk XVI, which traces its roots back to an RAF watch.
Old 10 July 2022, 11:15 PM   #39
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Dang, 37mm? I did not know that they made 2 versions. Awesome.
Actually, I think there are now three: 37, 40, and 42. Plus there's a 42mm GMT version (Spirit Zulu) and a chronograph.

Truth be told, I actually prefer the style of this watch to the comparable Tudor or IWC watches, for substantially less. However they all look like they have very long lugs, which some may find bothersome.
Old 15 July 2022, 08:19 AM   #40
dannyp
Banned

Ok, I think we officially have the lowest possible risk foray into the world of field watches:

https://www.timex.com/mk1-mechanical...=en_US&start=1

$115 if you sign up for the new customer discount. First time I've ordered a Timex since I started ordering things on the internet (kids' first watches notwithstanding).
Old 15 July 2022, 05:22 PM   #41
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Or if you fancy something older/vintage...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.jpg (188.3 KB, 47 views)