The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 March 2011, 03:54 AM   #1
Oxnard
"TRF" Member

Thoughts about vintage "5500" Explorers

Hello Rolex Forums members, I am currently in the process of trying to get my first Rolex, which will most likely be vintage, and in particular I would love to get an Explorer. Now, I keep seeing these model 5500 Explorers popping up for reasonable prices on both Ebay, other watch forums, and second hand sites. I've tried to do some research on this model, and it seems that many in the Rolex community believe that a majority of these 5500 model Explorers are fakes. Apparently one of the distinguishing characteristics of the 5500 is that it says "Precision" instead of the superlative chronometer bit on the lower end of the dial. Even though so many believe these to be fakes, which ranges from redialed frankenwatches to outright counterfeits, they still pop up from seemingly legitimate sources. I have searched through this site hoping to find a concrete answer, but my search so far has been in vein, so I was hoping to get some help from the members here. So my main question is:

-Are there any real Rolex Explorer 5500s? And if so, are they so rare that I should just assume that most of the ones I see are fake?

Many thanks to anyone who can give me some insight into this.

Here is an image of a random one that I pulled off of google:
Oxnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 04:19 AM   #2
cronin
"TRF" Member

There are "real" 5500 explorers but they are not nearly as common as a re-dialed airking 5500. I would be careful when buying off of ebay as nearly every 5500 explorer I have seen there has been a re-dialed airking.
cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Oxnard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronin View Post
There are "real" 5500 explorers but they are not nearly as common as a re-dialed airking 5500. I would be careful when buying off of ebay as nearly every 5500 explorer I have seen there has been a re-dialed airking.
Many thanks for the insight! Is there anyway to distinguish a redialed Air-King 5500 from a real 5500 Explorer? I imagine you'd have to open it up to find out.
Old 19 March 2011, 05:58 AM   #4
cronin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxnard View Post
Many thanks for the insight! Is there anyway to distinguish a redialed Air-King 5500 from a real 5500 Explorer? I imagine you'd have to open it up to find out.
nope, the dial will be the only item which has been changed, there are tell tail signs. One of the experts will be along shortly. There have been numerous 5500 threads just do a quick search and you should be able to find them.
cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Paul
"TRF" Member

5500 Explorers are very cool but be careful .....

Real ones do exist - as seen in the Dowling and Hess book. Sadly though .... there's heaps of redialled AirKings out there.

I'm confident that my 2 examples are AOK genuine but who knows eh ?. My white-faced example at least is genuinely horrible but I love it LOL.
I for one though have never seen a 5500 Explorer with bonafide papers.

If I was shopping for a 5500 Explorer I'd consider examples from the early 60's but would be wary of anything from much later.
Just my opinion and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I also understand that 5500's were never chronometer rated so for me, it's PRECISION or SUPER PRECISION only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB1.JPG (129.9 KB, 789 views)
File Type: jpg pb4.JPG (127.1 KB, 788 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
its a real nice watch. i have always wanted one myself. i think its (the 5500) is smaller than a 1016, so i suppose you are getting less watch for less money. you may be better off just buying an AK 5500 and getting the repro dial and putting together your own illigitimate 5500 explorer. you would be crossing over to the dark side, but i think this is fine so long as you never resell as a legit one. this way you will know that you got what you paid for. harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 09:22 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
No Frankenwatches!!! The 5500 is a great vintage example and you can find a nice one if you want--you need the right hunter on your team. Try Andrew Shear of Sheartime in NY or Eric Ku in Cali-of 10Pastten.com. Both are 100% solid and trusted guys who always are able to hunt down the very best examples out there. Avoid settling on another model and definitely avoid the Frankenwatch approach--that to me kills the integrity of vintage Rolex history--preserve at all cost!!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
I've been researching 5500 Explorers for over a year now and know for certain that there are 100% genuine examples in existence - I've owned one from new and still have all the original paperwork. They are 34mm in diam. (2mm smaller than a 1016) and as far as I can tell all GENUINE ones were made between about 1961 and 1968, I firmly believe that those which purport to date from the late 70's are fakes ( but if anybody knows otherwise I would be pleased to hear). At some point you will come across the old myth that 5500 Explorers were sold exclusively to the British military - not true. I know of three examples sold through high street ADs and I suspect that the majority were ordinary civilian watches. They came in two varieties: precision and super precision. I'm fairly confident (about 95%) that the "Precisions" had the 1520 movement and the "Super Precision" had the 1530. If you want a really scarce original try for the "Super Precision" with the underlne dial and the double "T<25" overprint. I also believe that they were originally equipped with the 6635 19mm expanding bracelet, but you probably won't find one with the original bracelet now. However, beware there are many many fkes produced by using a contemporary Air King and redialling this with an Explorer dial thus putting up the selling price by a factor of about three (here in the U.K. anyway). Hope that this helps.
Gugnunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Ross Povey
"TRF" Member

They are lovely watches.....

that were marketed primarily to the English market. I have heard that the Exp dial and merc hands could be requested as an upgrade from ADs on 5500 Air Kings, but not sure and have no evidence of this practice.

Good luck in your hunt!

Ross
Ross Povey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 01:01 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

i think you would be better off spending your money on a sub or waiting for a 1016. too many risks w a 5500 explorer. you would really need to be a pro to ensure you dont get taken. harry
Old 25 March 2011, 01:44 AM   #11
hondauk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date Tridor
550 genuine or fake?

Quote:
Refering to your comment above, from a photo on ebay how do you tell the watches are "real" 5500's or re-dialed Air kings ?

I have a 5500 explorer and had had it for over 40 years, Rolex have had it twice for servicing and have not made any comment whether it is genuine or not. So how do I tell?

All I have is a case number (5500) and a serial number.

Would Rolex be able to tell me if it is a genuine explorer.

Maybe I should put it on ebay and you'll be able to tell me!
hondauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

hondauk,
I guess if Rolex have had your watch and made no comment then the serial number and model tie-in with their records. I know that Rolex U.K. won't reply directly to a serial no. query but you could try writing to them saying that you have a 5500 Explorer Precision serial no. xxxxxx and you would like to (e.g.) confirm that this model had a 1520 movement. With any luck you will get a reply from them headed "Rolex 5500 Explorer no. xxxxxx" - to my mind that would mean that they have checked their archives for the authenticity of your watch and found the correct match - worth a try.
Old 26 March 2011, 01:42 AM   #13
hondauk
"TRF" Member

Dear Philip,
I telephoned Rolex this morning and two very helpful ladies after consulting others both in the UK and Geneva phoned back to say that records for watches of this age were not available. They did try!!
Old 26 March 2011, 01:44 AM   #14
hondauk
"TRF" Member

Looking at my last service document it only states the case number and serial number not the movement number. I'll have to remove the back to confirm the exact movement number.
Old 26 March 2011, 06:06 AM   #15
Paul
"TRF" Member

5500 Explorer's - genuine or otherwise

Rather than a specific factory run, I think the 3-6-9 Explorer dial was simply an option for a 5500 buyer back in the day.
Just like a fellow buying a new GMT1675 could opt for the oyster bracelet to be swapped for a jubilee.

Perhaps one day someone will identify a batch of 5500's serial numbers with one dial and another batch with a different dial.
Until then - I guess it's just a case of treading carefully.

Hondauk's 40 year ownership history is impressive but should be verified - a pic of you (and the 5500) with a bad haircut and flares, gazing wistfully at a Bay City Rollers album will clinch it for us !
Old 27 March 2011, 02:56 AM   #16
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Paul,
I cannot confirm nor refute your suggestion that an Explorer dial was merely an option for a 5500 model back in the sixties; however, the AD from whom my example was purchased did not offer me any options - the 5500 Explorer simply came straight out of the shop window.
The 1964 catalogue shows an Explorer and this is clearly a 5500 although this was running in parallel with the 1016 at that time. My feeling is that the 5500 Air King and the 5500 Explorer have always been distinct models and this thread is the first time that I have ever come across this "mix and match" theory. There are so many myths and misconceptions surrounding this watch - not that I am suggesting your theory is either of these.
I only know the serial nos. of two 5500 Explorers (both in the hands of original owners) and these are both 979xxx. Be good to get a few more where the provenance is certain.
Old 27 March 2011, 06:01 AM   #17
Oxnard
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I had previously searched through the forums here but I got some great new info in this thread! I am definitely going to steer clear of the Explorer 5500s altogether. I have yet to see many good 1016s that were south of $6000 so I think I might set my sites on a 36mm 14270, which appear to be in ready supply. It is scary to think of how similar the 5500 Explorers and 5500 Air Kings are, I know buying off the internet can be risky in general but with that model it seems like the odds of getting a fake/frankenwatch are astronomical.
Old 27 March 2011, 06:08 AM   #18
Paul
"TRF" Member

Yes - theories abound .......

Even identifying a batch of 5500 serial numbers as 'factory-Explorer' dial or 'factory-AirKing' dial would reduce, but not eliminate risk for buyers.
Variants pop up everywhere within Rolex production runs - different dials here and there and even odd case references within a batch.

Such a pity that the AirKing connection casts a slur on the Explorer 5500. Each are fine watches in their own right and deserve their place in Rolex history.

In my book, any Rolex is a good Rolex but with 5500 Explorer's, it's examples like Gugnunc's original-owner watch or Hondauk's long-owned watch that I'd pay the good money for.

Are you fellas gonna post a pic of your old Explorer 5500's ?
Old 27 March 2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Paul and Oxnard,
Yes I agree, sad but true that the 5500 Explorer will always be looked at in the light of "is it or isn't it the real deal?" The only way to be 100% certain that you are buying a real 5500 Explorer is if it comes with all the original paperwork which gives the serial no. and the word "Explorer". Anybody fussy enough to have kept this amount of detail for all that time will almost certainly have kept the original box too.
I've made very sure that when I shuffle off this mortal coil (something I'm not planning to do for several decades!) my watch is advertised in a very specific way - leaving no doubt that it is exactly what it purports to be.

Last edited by Gugnunc; 27 March 2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: More information
Old 28 March 2011, 04:06 AM   #20
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I think I might set my sites on a 36mm 14270, which appear to be in ready supply. It is scary to think of how similar the 5500 Explorers and 5500 Air Kings are, I know buying off the internet can be risky in general but with that model it seems like the odds of getting a fake/frankenwatch are astronomical.

good decision. the 14270 is a beauty and a good value. there was one on Timezone just north of $2k a while back. you cant go wrong when a new no-date sub costs in the $6k range(IIRC). harry
Old 28 March 2011, 04:08 AM   #21
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Exactly what I was going to say. Beware of refinished/re-dialed dials.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 01:41 AM   #22
jerseybean
"TRF" Member

Looking at a 5500 explorer right now, any idea on who made the dials during that time period. The one Im looking at has a singer engraving on the back of the dial, which I always see on reprints from Vietnam
jerseybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 01:49 AM   #23
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Holy 11 year bump Batman!
Old 25 July 2022, 03:22 AM   #24
jerseybean
"TRF" Member

Good threads never die. At least I did a search before asking!
jerseybean is offline   Reply With Quote