The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 October 2022, 11:15 AM   #1
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

1680 Mk6 Red Sub Legit?

I'm close to acquiring a 1680 Red Sub but want to double-check everything first since I know how commonly faked they are. The serial is 3.8 million and dial looks correct, watch is in fair condition missing lume pip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RED1.jpg (140.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg RED2.jpg (125.6 KB, 328 views)
TheBrimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 01:28 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

do you want to take a crack at giving your assessment, i.e. what mark dial is it? original crown? original bezel insert? original crystal, etc?

Some things I really like about the watch but keen to get your take first. Part of the process and welcome to the forum.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 01:52 PM   #3
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
do you want to take a crack at giving your assessment, i.e. what mark dial is it? original crown? original bezel insert? original crystal, etc?

Some things I really like about the watch but keen to get your take first. Part of the process and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to handle the watch before buying. I'm operating under the assumption that it's all original. It's coming from the first owner and has never been serviced (they claim). I am hopeful the experts on this forum can lend me a hand.

They had sent it to Rolex and we're told service would mean replacing a ton of parts (I have the paper work from this exchange) they didn't want to go through with it.

It runs but has some mechanical issues and will need work done.
Old 20 October 2022, 02:00 PM   #4
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrimic View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not able to handle the watch before buying. I'm operating under the assumption that it's all original. It's coming from the first owner and has never been serviced (they claim). I am hopeful the experts on this forum can lend me a hand.

They had sent it to Rolex and we're told service would mean replacing a ton of parts (I have the paper work from this exchange) they didn't want to go through with it.

It runs but has some mechanical issues and will need work done.
You need to look up the red submariner dial variation. There are plenty of free resources online that breaks down the types for you if you just google. Here's one

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/red-sub/redsub.html

If you spend just 30 mins and you will be able to differentiate what you have. I highly suggest you do that in the first instance.
Old 20 October 2022, 02:07 PM   #5
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

I've gone through DRSD page and others, to me it seems legit. I'm just looking for input from members of the forum who for sure have a better eye than I do.

The serial and bracelet both seem to match up with the MK 6 dial.
Old 20 October 2022, 02:25 PM   #6
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Watch looks legit to me. How about the original owner? He probably would be in his 70s or 80s if he bought it new.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 02:29 PM   #7
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Watch looks legit to me. How about the original owner? He probably would be in his 70s or 80s if he bought it new.
The original owner is selling it with his grandson who I have been dealing with. Yes, he's 70s/80s not sure exactly but it all lines up.
Old 20 October 2022, 03:37 PM   #8
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've gone through DRSD page and others, to me it seems legit. I'm just looking for input from members of the forum who for sure have a better eye than I do.

The serial and bracelet both seem to match up with the MK 6 dial.
As you say, it looks like a VI to me as well and it falls within the serial range which is good.

The crown, bezel, crystal all look good to me as well. What is his asking price, roughly?
Old 20 October 2022, 05:30 PM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The original owner is selling it with his grandson who I have been dealing with. Yes, he's 70s/80s not sure exactly but it all lines up.
Should be 1970s, so that would be about right if he bought it when he was, say, 30.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 05:59 PM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Orig 9315/380, white datewheel, crown and soft-edge plexi (with some nibbles and deformities/crazing - noted by optics of 6 HR marker). The plexi would clean up but don't go swimming in it my advice. Nice honest piece.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 07:05 PM   #11
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
1680 Mk6 Red Sub Legit?

This watch was literally just listed in the for sale section. FS: Rolex 1680 Red Submariner (∼1973)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sketchy story and photos in the FS listing and then this thread popping up, just seems fishy to me.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 07:50 PM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Good catch Mr G - TheBrimic - Are you Vergexo seller - or otherwise, it seems someone is attempting to sell same watch.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 08:34 PM   #13
Greglaw
Banned

Hmm coincidence it was listed right after receiving positive feedback in this thread...on this very same forum...these “people” are about to do a deal and in the middle it is suddenly listed for sale...and “seller” can see that there watch is subject to this thread...another grandpappy post with the store staff going wild upon seeing a vintage sub...

Yeah. Ok. Given his age, they probably did the wave like they used to do at football games. “You go grandpappy”! They were heard cheering as they all handled the vintage red submariner!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 01:10 AM   #14
Nova1
"TRF" Member

If you really want it I would recommend flying out to view it in person. “Some mechanical issues” to me sounds like a pass. That’s just me though.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 01:15 AM   #15
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Good catch Mr G - TheBrimic - Are you Vergexo seller - or otherwise, it seems someone is attempting to sell same watch.
No, I saw the watch on Reddit. Had no idea it was listed here.
Old 21 October 2022, 01:30 AM   #16
vergexo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Submariner
Hi!

Just saw this post and thought - that picture looks familiar!

Didn't mean to cause any suspicion - I was waiting for my pledge account to be validated before posting here. TheBrimic reached out with a nice offer via Reddit on the first day of posting and I let him know I'd continue to take offers for a few days before wrapping up the process. I mention that reddit post in the posting on TRF.

Reading the thoughts on my grandpa's piece was fun in a voyeuristic way. Also, you folks were right on the money, he's 82.
vergexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 05:29 AM   #17
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Orig 9315/380, white datewheel, crown and soft-edge plexi (with some nibbles and deformities/crazing - noted by optics of 6 HR marker). The plexi would clean up but don't go swimming in it my advice. Nice honest piece.
I thought these all came with silver date wheels? If the watch was supposedly never serviced, that doesn't make sense.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 07:33 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
I thought these all came with silver date wheels? If the watch was supposedly never serviced, that doesn't make sense.
No, some of the earlier 1680s came with white date wheels. The brushed silver/metal kind came in the mid-'70s.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 09:27 AM   #19
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
Early Sub date wheels were off-white. Later ones were brushed silver. No, they all were not all silver. That is an internet legend.

Edit - I see swish beat me to the punch!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 11:36 AM   #20
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
got it - thanks

MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 04:23 AM   #21
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Just to tie a bow on this thread .... Watch and backstory were legit, and it sold at $22.5K, I was told.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote