The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 February 2023, 11:25 PM   #1
wwwryan
"TRF" Member

Rolex DateJust Tritium or Radium Lume

I'm considering a purchase of this Rolex DateJust what I believe is a 1601. Serial number puts it around 1969 / 1970.

However, I'm trying to determine the lume type used on the dial. I recall Rolex switched to Tritium in the mid sixties and eventually began using the T Swiss T markings on the dials. But this is Swiss only so wasn't sure if there may have been a transition period before the dial was marked? Or in general any other ways to tell if radium was used?

Any guidance on the lume and overall would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. wwwryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0892 (2).jpeg (192.8 KB, 145 views)
wwwryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 11:44 PM   #2
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Hi,
I would say that is a service dial- so no it's not radium
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:27 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It would be better for you to show the serial number so that we are sure there is no misunderstanding. But assuming you are correct about the year, the watch would have originally had a T SWISS T tritium (or no lume) dial. It would be uncommon for someone to put a radium dial on a 1969 DJ but anything can happen obviously. The fact that the watch has stick hands that match the dial, also suggests that it is not from the radium era. So quite possibly it is luminova service dial as mentioned above. An inspection with UV could help you determine if it is tritium or luminova.
Old 10 February 2023, 07:39 AM   #4
wwwryan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It would be better for you to show the serial number so that we are sure there is no misunderstanding. But assuming you are correct about the year, the watch would have originally had a T SWISS T tritium (or no lume) dial. It would be uncommon for someone to put a radium dial on a 1969 DJ but anything can happen obviously. The fact that the watch has stick hands that match the dial, also suggests that it is not from the radium era. So quite possibly it is luminova service dial as mentioned above. An inspection with UV could help you determine if it is tritium or luminova.

Not my watch at least yet so didn’t want to post the serial number. 7 digit serial starting with 218.

Really appreciate the suggestion that it could be a service dial. Hadn’t thought about that. I know it reduces the value. And while subjective, any thoughts on about how much / range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 February 2023, 06:03 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Service dials (standard batton dial) don't hit 1601/1603 prices like professional pieces perhaps 15-20% tops more about overall condition / Jubillee tbh.

Having said that, this is unusual...it's the old style pinion handset and 'swiss' service dials came in in 1999...and the HR markers look tarnished.

If service, the HR plots should be greeny white Luminova (glow bright green - worth checking) but look a little yellowish and the 7 one especially is not placed centrally.

Date wheel is showing next number slightly and the south west lug has a big gap to end link but might be photo.

Difficult to say but it looks pie pan too - were service dials thus ?
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 12:40 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Service dials (standard batton dial) don't hit 1601/1603 prices like professional pieces perhaps 15-20% tops more about overall condition / Jubillee tbh.

Having said that, this is unusual...it's the old style pinion handset and 'swiss' service dials came in in 1999...and the HR markers look tarnished.

If service, the HR plots should be greeny white Luminova (glow bright green - worth checking) but look a little yellowish and the 7 one especially is not placed centrally.

Date wheel is showing next number slightly and the south west lug has a big gap to end link but might be photo.

Difficult to say but it looks pie pan too - were service dials thus ?
Yes, I've seen many SWISS MADE pie pan luminova/super-luminova service dials (I put a couple of links below). Presumably the SWISS only would be less common because of the short production.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=686943
https://hqmilton.com/products/1968-r...r-service-dial
Old 11 February 2023, 02:37 AM   #7
wwwryan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yes, I've seen many SWISS MADE pie pan luminova/super-luminova service dials (I put a couple of links below). Presumably the SWISS only would be less common because of the short production.

thanks for the links. Haven't seen the pics of the service pie pan dials so the SWISS MADE definitely helps call them out.

Is your thought (best guess) that this watch has a dial from the transition from Radium to Tritium.? So swiss only on the dial, with the 70's hands and tritium lume.

appreciate the forum's help and thanks. wwwryan
Old 11 February 2023, 05:31 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwryan View Post
thanks for the links. Haven't seen the pics of the service pie pan dials so the SWISS MADE definitely helps call them out.

Is your thought (best guess) that this watch has a dial from the transition from Radium to Tritium.? So swiss only on the dial, with the 70's hands and tritium lume.

appreciate the forum's help and thanks. wwwryan
Please read the comments already posted in the thread. My best guess from the information provided is that it is much later, from the transition from tritium to luminova in the late 90s.
Old 11 February 2023, 11:33 PM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Simple test OP to see if a service swiss - get the watch under a UV light or even a strong shop LED light and quickly stick it up your jumper ! If it's a post 99 service dial the lume plots will be strong bright green for a good 30 secs plus.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote