The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2023, 06:54 PM   #1
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

ROC 26715 / Cal. 2385 Flyback?

Dear AP experts,

After receiving some great guidance in this forum, I‘m reasonably hopeful that I’ll be able to acquire an ROC 38mm next year. As much as I’d love to own the 41mm chrono, I just can pull off the bulky dimensions with my rather slender wrist.

I noticed, however, that using the search function on the AP website, that ticking the complication “flyback chronograph” only reveals the 41mm variants, whereas the option “chronograph” only shows the 38mm variant. I was under the impression though that the 2385 caliber is the actual FP 1185, which has the flyback functionality.

Any owners can shed light here whether the 38mm is or is not a flyback?

Thank you very much in advance!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:01 PM   #2
messikens
"TRF" Member

Hi there, own both. The movement in the 26715 is definitely not a flyback
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:53 PM   #3
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Hi there, own both. The movement in the 26715 is definitely not a flyback
Thank you very much - that is a real bummer; are you overall satisfied with the 26715? I was always eying the ROC already back before the new in-house caliber was introduced to the 41mm version, but with prices for the 26715 now at 37k Euros, I start to get a tad hesitant re value for money; we’re talking about a 20yrs plus caliber which is a fine craft, no doubt, and I heard great things about the actuation smoothness and the vertical clutch (I’m quite a nerd when it comes to these things :-)), but without even a flyback, I feel we’re moving to a territory where I may consider more elaborate workings.

Then again, I love the design, finish, and flatness for a chrono.

Greatly appreciate your views!
Old 28 December 2023, 11:16 PM   #4
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Thank you very much - that is a real bummer; are you overall satisfied with the 26715? I was always eying the ROC already back before the new in-house caliber was introduced to the 41mm version, but with prices for the 26715 now at 37k Euros, I start to get a tad hesitant re value for money; we’re talking about a 20yrs plus caliber which is a fine craft, no doubt, and I heard great things about the actuation smoothness and the vertical clutch (I’m quite a nerd when it comes to these things :-)), but without even a flyback, I feel we’re moving to a territory where I may consider more elaborate workings.

Then again, I love the design, finish, and flatness for a chrono.

Greatly appreciate your views!

I may not be the best to ask (too stupid to appreciate all the finer movement nuances). The 26715 belongs to my wife as it's too small for my wrist. That said, it's a lovely watch all around the prices these days are definitely more reasonable in the secondary market than they used to be as well...

I'd say this :

PROS
Proven movement
Silky smooth operation
Seems to have no major issues every from what I could read (read : moving minutes etc)
Very thin compared to more current ones

CONS
No flyback (I never use it anyway so wouldn't care in my ROO)
No clear case back (that one is a bummer)

Can't really go wrong either way. I'm sure it's down to sampling bias but a lot of people had issues with the new movement and minutes wandering etc (including yours truly), so I have been a bit disappointed with the lack of QC for the new movement if that helps...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 12:06 AM   #5
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post

PROS
Proven movement
Silky smooth operation
Seems to have no major issues every from what I could read (read : moving minutes etc)
Very thin compared to more current ones

CONS
No flyback (I never use it anyway so wouldn't care in my ROO)
No clear case back (that one is a bummer)

Can't really go wrong either way. I'm sure it's down to sampling bias but a lot of people had issues with the new movement and minutes wandering etc (including yours truly), so I have been a bit disappointed with the lack of QC for the new movement if that helps...
Thank you very much for sharing these tremendously helpful insights - I very much appreciate your valuable views! Looks like all the right pros in the camp of the 38mm, plus the design and the dial are just out of this world, and it’s one of the very few APs I can pull off size-wise.