The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 December 2023, 10:03 AM   #31
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I have looked at the watches referenced by the OP. Out of these, go with a Lange.

1921 is an interesting watch. 1815 Up/Down is more universal and forgiving if you don't have the wrist size. Finishing and quality is on par between the brands.

While there is no end game here, I'd take a Lange over a comparable Patek model any time.
Old 2 December 2023, 10:43 AM   #32
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
Patek saves costs on movements for example, where all their watches have the same base movement (29-535, 324, 240), whereas Lange has a unique movement for almost every one of their references which costs alot more to make and is more elaborate and interesting.
100%, which is why I have to have both Patek and Lange in my collection. Sigh, it surely gets expensive.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 01:50 AM   #33
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Im generally in agreement, i supoose in principal but I think if you have a RRCC, Dufour and say a vintage patek MR or something, you're pretty much there. Unless your priorities or tastes change drastically, I would say thats close to end game there. You're not finished though ofc as you're probably commissioning a few UPs from the likes of Voutileinen etc at that level but you're close.
I would think that for someone who is fortunate enough to obtain a Dufour or RRCC, the idea of end game piece just don’t apply. I actually have one pair of his/her Voutilainen commissioned but they are no where close to Dufour level of $$$. And I am sure I am no where close to end game.

BTW, what is your next FPJ? I am eagerly waiting for my call for this year.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 02:27 PM   #34
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I think the 1815 Up/Down is a more versatile watch with better finishing, but the 1921 is a lovely and romantic piece. I would look at the 36.5mm version of the latter unless you have very large wrists.

As for independents, there are a few that are better finished than ALS, but the far higher prices reflect that. Other independents are far less well-finished and a lot of them cost considerably more than ALS.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 06:09 PM   #35
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Tough choice, and I’ve actually been considering both for a bit now. Personally, I’d go with the 1921, purely based on its unique look. However, it also depends on the state of your current collection. If you want to play it safe, go with Lange. If you want something quirky and different, go with 1921.
Old 27 January 2024, 07:52 AM   #36
Watchlurker11
"TRF" Member

tbh, i view the 1815 u/d as an entry into lange rather than an end-game type watch--i'd probably go more complicated 'lesser' brand as an end game.

i just don't know that i would advise anyone to get a 1921 unless they absolutely loved the look of it given how different it is. for the money i would hope that you absolutely love the 1815 if you went that route
Watchlurker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 09:46 AM   #37
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
True, but they make the 1921 in a 36 also.
Thanks. I will check it out.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:10 PM   #38
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
Checked them out in person

I was in Chicago this weekend and managed to try on a used 1815 Chrono at the new Burdeens store on E Oak St and all 4 current variants of the 1921 at the Burdeens VC store on Michigan.. as well as a little treat piece :)

Burdeens owned the Lange, IWC and Panerai stores @ the Waldorf, which have now been vacated and consolidated to the Oak St location, aside from Lange, who they've apparently parted ways with. No news on whether Lange will be opening their own boutique in the area.

Although there are more photos of the VC, I'm now leaning a little more towards the 1815 (non-chrono mind you) - as much as I like the VC, the proximity of the crown to the lug, made winding it a little annoying as my thumb would always catch.

Anyway, to the photos - as a point of reference, I have a pretty flat 7 1/4" wrist; no issues wearing 42mm watches normally:

1815 Chrono

36mm WG 1921

40mm RG 1921

Side by side

Something a little special - already sold (not that I could afford). Surprisingly thin and a stunner - I'm not a gold watch person normally but the matte finish totally won me over.

Hope this helped those still trying to decide!
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote