The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 February 2024, 09:15 PM   #1
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Chopard’s allocation process

Considering that I’m on a list for Chopard LUC 1860, I thought it’d be useful for others to know about Chopard’s allocation process.

Unlike other brands, especially PP, AP or Rolex, where allocation of hot references is an opaque process where bundling, “relationship” building and other ridiculous practices are required, Chopard simply asks for a 25% down payment and a guarantee of delivery within a year. Personally, I really appreciate the transparency and a straight forward nature of the transaction. If other brands did the same, we wouldn’t be in the same mess that we are in now.
Old 7 February 2024, 09:34 PM   #2
corky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Considering that I’m on a list for Chopard LUC 1860, I thought it’d be useful for others to know about Chopard’s allocation process.

Unlike other brands, especially PP, AP or Rolex, where allocation of hot references is an opaque process where bundling, “relationship” building and other ridiculous practices are required, Chopard simply asks for a 25% down payment and a guarantee of delivery within a year. Personally, I really appreciate the transparency and a straight forward nature of the transaction. If other brands did the same, we wouldn’t be in the same mess that we are in now.
Agreed….as it should be.

Not sure I like the word allocation though, always seems like a brand is doing you a favour….
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:09 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting way to handle things. I like the brand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:17 PM   #4
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Experienced this first hand last October in NYC. I like Chopard and the way they handle things.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:43 PM   #5
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I know the owners of the company, very nice and straightforward people.
Old 8 February 2024, 01:32 AM   #6
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting way to handle things. I like the brand.
It’s a good way to filter out uncommitted customers who would otherwise clog up the waiting list.
Old 8 February 2024, 03:01 AM   #7
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I used to do this with my Rolex AD. I would inquire, come to terms, pay a deposit, and weeks or months later had the watch. You should be rewarded for putting skin in the game.

Covid changed this. Easy free money saw everyone and their mother chasing these things. I think we are returning to 2019 behavior quickly however.
Old 8 February 2024, 03:58 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

This is the way it should be done! Only downside is that it also assumes demand won’t exceed supply.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:00 AM   #9
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Thanks for this - beautiful watch by the way! Real stunner especially the detailed dial and flawless finishing. Look forward to the pictures when it lands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:45 AM   #10
Tachycardia
"TRF" Member

Is the LUC 1860 salmon dial steel available only in boutiques or available at authorized dealers too? I have yet to see one in the metal but have been curious.
Tachycardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:53 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
This is the way it should be done! Only downside is that it also assumes demand won’t exceed supply.

Great point… let’s say demand triples or quadruples 6 months from now- will people still put down 25% for a guarantee in 3 or 4 years? Maybe… but then I suppose you may also start seeing some ADs get greedy and replicate what’s happened w some other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #12
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
Thanks for this - beautiful watch by the way! Real stunner especially the detailed dial and flawless finishing. Look forward to the pictures when it lands!

I’ll post back in December
Old 8 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #13
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post
Is the LUC 1860 salmon dial steel available only in boutiques or available at authorized dealers too? I have yet to see one in the metal but have been curious.
It’s a boutique only reference.
Old 8 February 2024, 07:42 AM   #14
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll post back in December
Such a beautiful piece. Is it still hard to get one of these?
Haven't seen one in the wild.

Read somewhere that they will be "pumping" up the numbers starting in 2024, with only handful in 2023.

Just curious as I would like to get one myself as well.
hangukman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:08 AM   #15
Emery
"TRF" Member

Easy to do when you have 10 watches to sell but only 3 buyers.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:28 AM   #16
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Were it not for greed and opportunism, it would be equally easy to do when you have 10 watches to sell and 25 buyers.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:29 AM   #17
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Exactly, this brand is available because demand does not exceed supply and sales can be conducted in an orderly open manner. Patek simply doesn't have to the supply to sell watches this way.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:45 AM   #18
rockysw
"TRF" Member

even in cases where demand exceed supply, allocation could be done in some sort of transparent manner. The opaquness of the process is due to greed otherwise I dont think developing a transparent process is a problem.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:59 AM   #19
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Should have to write an essay of why you are deserving....jk
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 10:42 AM   #20
c0ll3ct0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chopard simply asks for a 25% down payment and a guarantee of delivery within a year.
It works the same with ALS (but the wait may be longer). I like brands that treats customers this way better than what Rolex and AP do.
c0ll3ct0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:56 PM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Easy to do when you have 10 watches to sell but only 3 buyers.

lol that’s what I thought reading thru this thread

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:41 PM   #22
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

As I mentioned above, asking for 25% upfront for a watch that will be delivered in 12 months will filter out a lot of buyers who are either too impatient, looking for a quick buy & flip etc. The same transparent approach can be implemented by other brands, irrespective of supply/demand dynamics. For example; the “hotter” the piece the bigger upfront payment (e.g. 50% instead of 25% for a 12-18 month wait).
Old 8 February 2024, 06:46 PM   #23
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

This is not new, AP did that for a buddy of mine who paid the full amount upfront, was guaranteed delivery in 12 months, reached 14 months and still no trace of the watch. He cancelled his order and requested a refund.

And that's an AP boutique - they don't sell anything else.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:54 PM   #24
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
This is not new, AP did that for a buddy of mine who paid the full amount upfront, was guaranteed delivery in 12 months, reached 14 months and still no trace of the watch. He cancelled his order and requested a refund.

And that's an AP boutique - they don't sell anything else.
In that case, it’s a shitty practice by AP. I know two people so far who received the Chopard reference in question as agreed with the boutique, within 12 months of putting a deposit down.
Old 8 February 2024, 08:43 PM   #25
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I mentioned above, asking for 25% upfront for a watch that will be delivered in 12 months will filter out a lot of buyers who are either too impatient, looking for a quick buy & flip etc. The same transparent approach can be implemented by other brands, irrespective of supply/demand dynamics. For example; the “hotter” the piece the bigger upfront payment (e.g. 50% instead of 25% for a 12-18 month wait).
Chopard's transparency is appreciated and the LUC 1860 is drop dead gorgeous. Not a fan of the down payment though. Primarily it helps Chopard to manage the wait list and plan their production numbers according to demand. They could provide the same transparency w/o down payment. If there were some drop outs the real guys would only get the watch faster, so no harm done from a customer perspective. However, Chopard would run a higher risk of overproducing. I am happy to pay a down payment / in line with progress for a made to order watch from a small independent. But I find it a little aggressive for a company such as Chopard to ask their customers to provide financing (which is what they do) and adopt insolvency risk (a none issue until it is not, been there...) in order to help them with production planning and risk management.

So not a fan of the down payment but the LUC 1860 is to die for and I hope you'll get it sooner than later.

PS When I looked for a 5711 two ADs said no and one AD said around 3 years. No firm commitment but an understanding I could be hopeful. The issue of a deposit never came up. I kept in touch and after a little more than 2.5 years I got the watch. Full transparency all along which is how it should be.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote