The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2024, 04:35 AM   #1
ottawa1979
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service Issues

Hello,

I recently inherited my fathers Rolex Explorer 2, model 16570.

Since it was not working, I brought it into the only Rolex dealer in my city which done there servicing on site.

After 10 weeks, I received the watch back with some issues.

The cyclops eye was slightly cockeyed and one of the bracelet end links was not flush with the lugs. They were able to fix those issues on a subsequent visit but I also pointed out two weird distortions in the crystal which they had replaced.

On closer inspection, they pointed out to me that the crystal was fine but the dial itself had two small dents.

I made it clear that I have been admiring this watch for over 2 years and I knew for a fact those were not there before.

The reply that I received was that it was because... it is an old watch.

I was not sure how to react so I left without making further issue.

It has now been over a month and this bothers me a lot.

Should I accept this?
ottawa1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 06:18 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it bothers you, have a new dial put in.

However, expect to pay for it or work a reasonable price exchange. It is unlikely that either of you will be able to prove your point, as has been said, its an old watch.
Old 15 January 2024, 06:27 AM   #3
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Would you be able to post a picture of the dents?
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 11:55 AM   #4
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Others might disagree, but I would never trust a no-name "rolex certified" person in the back of some shop to do this kind of work.

There are a few reputable companies to work with if you don't want to go through the RSC. Rolliworks for example is terrific.

I'm sorry you had this experience. My advice: stop throwing good money after bad. Take the watch someplace else!

Just like Rolex is not the same as Rolex.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 12:26 PM   #5
Roberto Kupferschein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Bad things happened everywhere. I got my new Panda Daytona from a Rolex AD, the ceramic bezel was crooked and the large chronograph hand was damage, so I took it to the AD, they send the watch to Rolex and it came back with both hands scratched ��
I told then to sended it back again and they did.
My concern with
Your case is that you used a non AD repair, how sure you are they didn't swap your watch??
Roberto Kupferschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 12:51 PM   #6
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

If you are able to post a photo, there is a type of denting I am interested in looking for. There is a very specific dent that can happen when removing hands on the GMT and Explorer II. The denting can't be undone, but maybe the explanation would be helpful for you in some small way.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 09:36 PM   #7
1st amg
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I would send this watch to the actual Rolex Service Center in Toronto where there is the headquarters. I have had numerous Rolex sent directly there. Howards is a sham. I do not trust them, they are rude and condescending. I would have one more chat with them about this and insist that you will escalate this to Rolex Headquarters in Toronto.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 02:17 AM   #8
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
Others might disagree, but I would never trust a no-name "rolex certified" person in the back of some shop to do this kind of work.

There are a few reputable companies to work with if you don't want to go through the RSC. Rolliworks for example is terrific.

I'm sorry you had this experience. My advice: stop throwing good money after bad. Take the watch someplace else!

Just like Rolex is not the same as Rolex.
Did i not understand OP but the way i read it is that he used his AD, which can be marked as a RSC on the rolex website, for the work. I would assume that if Rolex certifies a watchmaker that he is capable of doing basic servicing? And every person, even watchmakers with tens of years of experience, can have an offday. In my perspective, everyone makes mistakes and that’s ok. What matters is how you handle your mistakes and that says everything about a person and separates the good from the bad.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 04:02 AM   #9
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I would love to see a few photos.
Old 19 January 2024, 05:14 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Kupferschein View Post
Your case is that you used a non AD repair, how sure you are they didn't swap your watch??
Let’s not put intrusive thoughts in his head. No one swapped his watch

I hope you took before photos.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 05:31 AM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Welcome to the forum.
Without supporting pics it's going to be hard to gain some traction.
Perhaps you could write a nice handwritten letter to the mothership(Rolex themselves) asking for some guidance in how to have the situation rectified.
A letter along the lines of what you have posted here on the forum will yield results.
Rolex is the type of organisation that appreciates going about things in this manner.
The outcome may not necessarily be what you hope for and I suspect they may offer you the opportunity for the watch to be returned directly to them via the dealer for them to look into it.
I would expect a follow up of them to make you an offer for a replacement dial in some fashion.
They will make you the offer, but you will have to give them something in return which may well be some money.
Their response will be worded in a non-committal way but leave no doubt about the outcome should you choose.

Tools has given a very good indication of what to expect
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 12:09 AM   #12
ottawa1979
"TRF" Member

I have have tried to take a picture of the dents but it needs to be a certain angle and lighting for the eye to see it.

The watchmaker at my AD said I have a watchmakers eye to have noticed it, which does not say much about him since no one made mention of it or offered a solution. They just returned the watch hoping I would not notice.
Old 20 January 2024, 12:11 AM   #13
ottawa1979
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I would send this watch to the actual Rolex Service Center in Toronto where there is the headquarters. I have had numerous Rolex sent directly there. Howards is a sham. I do not trust them, they are rude and condescending. I would have one more chat with them about this and insist that you will escalate this to Rolex Headquarters in Toronto.
I agree with you. I am also having issues with my partners heirloom diamond ring we had worked on by them. I am going in today.
Old 20 January 2024, 12:31 AM   #14
ottawa1979
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
If you are able to post a photo, there is a type of denting I am interested in looking for. There is a very specific dent that can happen when removing hands on the GMT and Explorer II. The denting can't be undone, but maybe the explanation would be helpful for you in some small way.
A camera will not detect the dents. The is a large dent to the left of the center wheel which I suspect occurred during the removal of the hands and another smaller dent near the 7 o'clock lume, which most likely from the tweezers to remove the dial.
Old 15 February 2024, 01:42 PM   #15
Quaze
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, I actually share a similar experience at an authorized dealer/service centre. I've had many watches (from other brands) brought to RdV in Toronto in the past but theyve all been sent to Switzerland for service. All came back perfect. But I had just brought my 114060 for service for the first time. I had known RdV will service Rolex in house but I didn't think much of it. But when I got the watch back, the polishing job was extremely haphazard. There were lines veering to the right and left. Also, the etched crown on the crystal was not aligned at 6 o'clock.

I was very disappointed with the result, but was afraid to
bring it back to RdV to rectify the situation, thinking that they could make it worse. Therefore I brought the watch directly to RSC Toronto. They had rotated the crystal to more or less the correct position (the etched crown is still slightly off if you look at it under a loupe) and had tried to help me repolish the bracelet quickly but the pattern left by the RdV service was too deep so they were still visible albeit less so. I had then sent the bracelet to Michael Young in Hong Kong and he brought the bracelet back to its original finish.

I just wanted to share my last service experience, which was less than satisfactory. I hope everyone here had better experiences and never have to go through the same ordeal I went through
Quaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:45 PM   #16
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

In Canada the Rolex service centre in Toronto is pretty terrible, they messed up a submariner I sent to them last year, pretty badly. Ashton Tracy is a great local choice but if you want case refinishing and/or laser welding, send it stateside. I strongly recommend Zimmerman Watch Repair.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 11:07 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa1979 View Post
I agree with you. I am also having issues with my partners heirloom diamond ring we had worked on by them. I am going in today.
Let us know how it goes.

Unlike the previous poster I have only had excellent service at RSC Toronto.

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:54 AM   #18
Quaze
"TRF" Member

I do want to clarify that it was RdV (an authorized service scented/dealer) that performed the service, not RSC. RSC was just trying to rectify some of the issues that were caused by RdV without redoing the entire service. It's now past the warranty period so I am planning to bring the watch to RSC to do an overhaul. If those sloppiness are what I can see on the outside, who knows how it looks on the inside?

Everyone makes mistakes. And it's important to train future generation of watchmakers. But the result that we see should be universal across all authorized service centres and should be on par with RSC. But I'm afraid that's not always the case
Quaze is offline   Reply With Quote