The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2024, 02:25 PM   #1
philster
"TRF" Member

AP recommendations

My wife is looking into getting me an AP for our upcoming 20th anniversary. I haven’t been keeping up with watches for a while so wanted to get thoughts and opinions on which model you would get if it was up to you and why? She has a dealer that is working with her.

Which model is the best value now ? (E.g. retail vs grey)
Hardest to obtain? (E.g. limited edition?)
Future classic? (15202 -> 16202)

I am also thinking of getting her an AP as well so we can his/hers.

Thanks in advance.
philster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 07:20 PM   #2
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

well if you are talking retaining value its the Jumbo

but imo I never liked the jumbo even though its the original design. pretty hard to get as well as a first watch from AP.

for AP I think the talks of value does not really work because there is no reason why certain models all of a sudden shoot up in value on the grey market imo. less people are buying AP compared to Rolex. I would assume anything you get will not be a value retention and purchase based on true desire to own the piece.

with all that said I would recommend the 43 Offshore. the 42 Diver, or the 41 chrono. these are all attainable via AP boutique without too much hassle and . If you go grey they are all around retail so you do not get dinged with crazy markups. all of the limited piece are for sale but with pretty large markups via grey. the ceramic perpetual, openworks, etc....

what price range are we talking here for your gift? if you are saying around 50k then the limited pieces are way out of budget.

If you go his and hers. and you want to splurge? only choice imo is 2 ceramic models on full ceramic bracelet. black for the male and white for the female. or reverse it. someone here has that. amazing combo.

as far as the Jumbo most will roast me for this but AP to me is the Lamborghini or McClaren of watch brands. The jumbo is like a old 80s Contach. nice... yeah. But you really want the Huracan.
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 07:42 PM   #3
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappvctrinity View Post
but imo I never liked the jumbo even though its the original design. pretty hard to get as well as a first watch from AP.

for AP I think the talks of value does not really work because there is no reason why certain models all of a sudden shoot up in value on the grey market imo. less people are buying AP compared to Rolex. I would assume anything you get will not be a value retention and purchase based on true desire to own the piece.

with all that said I would recommend the 43 Offshore. the 42 Diver, or the 41 chrono. these are all attainable via AP boutique without too much hassle and . If you go grey they are all around retail so you do not get dinged with crazy markups. all of the limited piece are for sale but with pretty large markups via grey. the ceramic perpetual, openworks, etc....

what price range are we talking here for your gift? if you are saying around 50k then the limited pieces are way out of budget.

If you go his and hers. and you want to splurge? only choice imo is 2 ceramic models on full ceramic bracelet. black for the male and white for the female. or reverse it. someone here has that. amazing combo.

as far as the Jumbo most will roast me for this but AP to me is the Lamborghini or McClaren of watch brands. The jumbo is like a old 80s Contach. nice... yeah. But you really want the Huracan.
Nooooo you really want a Mclaren. Lambo single clutch is a neck breaker and loud as F in the cockpit.

I’ve had Ferraris and Mclarens and they have tried to sell me Lambos just test drove one. 🤢.

It’s gonna be a Lot easier to get the ladies than the larger mens versions .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2D87E9AB-4C69-4E0F-8497-AD25AE9B49CF.jpeg (265.4 KB, 182 views)
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 08:53 PM   #4
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

OK don't hate me even more than me saying I do not like the Jumbo... I am not a car guy. lol.

I drive a Tesla Plaid S and a Plaid X. I compare them to an Iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Nooooo you really want a Mclaren. Lambo single clutch is a neck breaker and loud as F in the cockpit.

I’ve had Ferraris and Mclarens and they have tried to sell me Lambos just test drove one. 🤢.

It’s gonna be a Lot easier to get the ladies than the larger mens versions .
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote