The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2024, 11:19 AM   #1
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Got a call for a Blue Code 11.59...

Let me start with the a little preface.
I began to appreciate mechanical watches about 15 years ago. Started from Tissot and most recently was wearing a Submariner Date, thinking that this is a perfect one watch collection (which it probably is). However over time I realised that I probably need to expand my collection to three watches - one daily (still Sub), one for weekends and one for special occasion. While I was not sure what to do for a weekend watch, I was absolutely set on AP RO 41mm as a special occasion piece. So I decided to introduce myself to my local AP boutique. First impression was great, I was lucky to work with a boutique manager and his attitude is what you would expect from a top 3 watch brand dealerships (night and day to the customer service you would get from a Rolex AD).

When about a months ago I made my first visit to that boutique, manager was very open and honest about how they conduct business at the moment and that they prefer to establish a long lasting relationship with the customer vs one time purchases. He mentioned that typical path to my goal - 41mm RO is through Code 11.59 watches lineup and he should have one for me in about 1-2 month. I was quite impressed by green three hander 11.59 and was considering purchasing it to fill that weekend watch slot. However just 2 weeks after that visit my SA in Rolex that was quiet for some time texted me and said that he got a mint green dial DJ41 on jubilee that I inquired about a year ago. I went to check it out and just couldn't say no. That perfect weekend watch spot was taken...

This week AP boutique manager texted me and said that he got a blue Code 11.59 for me if I want it. I said that I will definitely come in to check it out in person, but not 100% I would buy it as I haven't seen a blue dial Code yet. When I came in and checked out watch it was pretty good, but given my latest DJ41 acquisition I couldn't convince myself that I need it. Kudos to store manager, he wasn't pushing me to make a purchase and agreed that I shouldn't buy a watch I am not 100% sold on. But he also mentioned that it will probably take a miracle to get RO 41mm without prior purchase of other AP watch. I noted that I am interested in silver dial RO, not mega popular blue or green, but still not sure if it is realistic to get even with a longer wait time of 1-2 years...

What do you think guys, should I just go gray (which I don't like and never done before), or wait patiently and hope that miracle would happen?
Sergio_UKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Just bought a great datejust? Just enjoy that for a while
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 11:28 AM   #3
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
I would go grey. No rush to buy with prices trending downward. You can wait and be super picky to get exactly exactly what you want. Congratulations on the Datejust.
Old 3 March 2024, 11:30 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Go grey. You're totally interested in one and done to fill the spot.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=13171083
Old 3 March 2024, 12:45 PM   #5
gptwc
"TRF" Member

Since you have specifically stated that you only want to keep three watches, it's no doubt you should go gray. The 1159 model is nice, but I suggest three different brands in your collection bringing you more joy.
gptwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 01:03 PM   #6
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I would go grey. No rush to buy with prices trending downward. You can wait and be super picky to get exactly exactly what you want. Congratulations on the Datejust.
Thank you! It is great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.jpg (179.8 KB, 448 views)
Sergio_UKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 01:03 PM   #7
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Enjoy the DJ and wait for the AP you really want. Buying something you feel lukewarm about will only lead to regret and possibly a watch difficult to offload later.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 01:28 PM   #8
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

If you just want one RO and nothing else, just go grey. Premium over retail is barely material at this point. No reason to buy anything else if you plan to be one and done
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 01:29 PM   #9
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Avoid the AP journey, go grey.
Old 3 March 2024, 11:18 PM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Since you are currently working towards a 3 watch collection (I know it can be a slippery slope - I'm trying to hold at 5) there's no question that you should go grey and just buy what you want. To reinforce what is being said on the long AP Journey thread, buy what you want and you'll always be happy.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:41 AM   #11
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I would buy it and put a dark grey strap on it.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:44 AM   #12
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think this is a great way to start your AP journey. A quick scan of the forum here and you’ll find that for some the journey is even better than the destination!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 12:47 AM   #13
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The “AP Journey” is endless. I highly recommend passing as others have stated.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 03:41 AM   #14
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I wouldn't buy anything that you aren't completely sure of. Prices in the secondary market keep coming down. Maybe wait for an unworn version of the RO you want at or around retail in the future? In the meantime, enjoying the DJ...
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote