The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 March 2024, 07:08 AM   #1
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Modified ETA 6498? Can i do it?

I’ve seen a watch recently and maybe not fell in love but it’s very much striking my fancy, my issue is, it has a very nicely but still a modified ETA 6498 inside, the watch is circa £8,500, love the watch, love the story not so much the movement, never owned anything but an in house movement model and it’s holding me back heavily. Am I being a bit snobby with this issue or is this something a lot of people feel?

Everyone’s going to ask what’s the watch but I think answering will deviate from the core question, would you buy a watch of that value with a modified ETA inside?

Thanks in advance
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 07:28 AM   #2
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Rose Gold Sinn 6110?

Nothing wrong with the movement. ETA even makes a COSC version (6498-2). Can't consider value without knowing what watch it sits inside of.
Old 12 March 2024, 06:24 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
I’ve seen a watch recently and maybe not fell in love but it’s very much striking my fancy, my issue is, it has a very nicely but still a modified ETA 6498 inside, the watch is circa £8,500, love the watch, love the story not so much the movement, never owned anything but an in house movement model and it’s holding me back heavily. Am I being a bit snobby with this issue or is this something a lot of people feel?

Everyone’s going to ask what’s the watch but I think answering will deviate from the core question, would you buy a watch of that value with a modified ETA inside?

Thanks in advance
Nothing wrong with an ETA based watch. ETA designed extremely accurate, reliable and efficient movements, many brands take this base and refine it with amazing finishing. There are several £100k plus watches I can think of running an ETA heart.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 08:43 PM   #4
Easy E

A point or two for consideration is this recent thread
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=939571
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 08:43 PM   #5
Easy E

Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 08:43 PM   #6
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
As others have said, we need more info on the watch to know if it is a smart buy at that price or if you are being “Hublot’d”. I have two watches with ETA movements, both have been great and I would never have a problem with getting an ETA in the future… in fact one of my ETAs is the most accurate mechanical watch that I own and out performs in-house movements that cost me 10x the price.

Ultimately it depends on what you are buying the watch for, if you really like the watch then don’t be put off by the lack of in-house movement. In house movements generally, but not always, show a level of watch making craft that is above brands that buy-in movements… it takes a lot of time, effort and money to deliver a reliable in house movement and therefore some watch collectors appreciate the effort and are prepared to pay a premium… but it’s not because ETAs are worse movements, you pay less because they are everywhere and mass produced… if you like the watch then don’t be put off by what others might say or think, it’s your watch and what you think is all that really matters.
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 09:58 PM   #7
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

I always loved that movement, and would have absolutely no issues with it! One of my watches with this movement is a watch skeletonized by Jochen Benzinger - who does an amazing job with it.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:28 AM   #8
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I think you'll find that the "in-house" movement idea is not something that really fits with how high-end wristwatches were made in their heyday of the early and mid 20th century.

So, enjoy a reliable, easy to service movement that often in its highest quality variant keeps better time than the majority of "in-house" movements...
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:24 AM   #9
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the replies,lots of food for thought in there.

Ok the watch in question is a Garrick S4, having been a fan of the Norfolk their first watch, I’ve always had them on my radar, it’s a bit of a marmite watch but I just like the fact it’s a small independent British watch maker and to me it’s similar in design to the Breguet marine which again is a big favourite of mine although never owned one.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote