The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 March 2024, 07:59 PM   #1
mstoobs
"TRF" Member

Advice on buying 16600

Hey,

Looking to purchase a 16600. Really like the tritium dial ones. ..

The 4k feet waterproof rating. Is that still valid on the neovintage rolex'? Do people who service these have the capacity to check this or is that quite rare?

Reason I ask is that impressive engineering is one of the main reasons I want this watch. If only rolex can guarantee this then I may as well get a no holes NOS version and send it for official servicing.

Thoughts?
mstoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 10:03 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoobs View Post
Hey,

Looking to purchase a 16600. Really like the tritium dial ones. ..

The 4k feet waterproof rating. Is that still valid on the neovintage rolex'? Do people who service these have the capacity to check this or is that quite rare?

Reason I ask is that impressive engineering is one of the main reasons I want this watch. If only rolex can guarantee this then I may as well get a no holes NOS version and send it for official servicing.

Thoughts?
Would hardly call any 16600 SD vintage my own 16600 SD from around 1999 has done well over 600 hours underwater.And now almost 25 years old but has had regular service and pressure checks in its hard life.So with any 16600 SD or any other Rolex watch no matter its age.If its been regularly serviced by RSC and passed all checks then it's just the same as any new Rolex watch .And as long as any dive type watch passes a simple dry or wet pressure check to 200-300m its perfectly safe for all water sports including scuba.Although the SD has a much greater depth rating it will never be used by man or even superman in water to its max depth rating.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 02:45 AM   #3
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

With a proper service the 16600 is a great watch and could easily spend time underwater. The main failure point is the helium escape valve. Those I think are replaced when rolex does the service. With an unknown service history I'd have an RSC service done and enjoy it for a long time. One of my favorites in the Rolex lineup.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:16 AM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
No idea about the depth - I got a really searing headache at 15mtrs, even before I became somewhat decrepit !!

But tritium lug holes is the way I'd go.... nice browning patina of dial, hands and pip!

And (for now at least) the cheapest option.... won't be in a decade though !
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:23 AM   #5
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

16600 is an amazing watch (my favorite neovintage reference, possibly favorite overall). I'd get one with holes and nice patina as Turo says. They're a steal right now for 8.5k naked <10k full set!
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 05:46 AM   #6
mstoobs
"TRF" Member

Thanks! ��
mstoobs is offline   Reply With Quote