The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2022, 11:10 PM   #31
PhilippeD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Not just Dutch people, there are ‘Professional Shoppers’ whose full time job it is to fly around and buy ‘wanted’ models of everything, including Chanel, LV, Rolex, Hermes etc. they each have a backpack, credit card and phone with pictures of what they should buy.

It seems to be an entire ‘community’ as i saw a group cluster together in front of the Schiphol Rolex store, showing each-other what they’d scored and pictures of what they were looking for. Some seemed to know each other, some not.

They seem to travel between EU and UK airports snapping up anything and everything that’s available and ever so slightly ‘in demand’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is bizarre.
PhilippeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 02:36 AM   #32
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkoktokyoseoul View Post
I know of someone who works offshore and travels via Schipol every 4 weeks. He managed to get a SS Daytona about a year ago.

I was very lucky. I'll be passing through again in June and my flight lands at 7.15am so I'll be able to pop in and try for another.
Hard knock life…
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:01 PM   #33
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Just for those interested I managed to pick up an Exp II Polar at Schiphol at 6.30pm last night.

No previous relationship/purchase history or any type of communication.

Asked for it and they had it. Will post a pic in due course.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:06 PM   #34
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
Just for those interested I managed to pick up an Exp II Polar at Schiphol at 6.30pm last night.

No previous relationship/purchase history or any type of communication.

Asked for it and they had it. Will post a pic in due course.
Was there anything else available? Just curious… I fly through there sometimes

Last edited by MrMikee; 27 March 2022 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Missed last part of sentence
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:16 PM   #35
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikee View Post
Was there anything else available? Just curious…
All exhibition professional. A lot of OP and DJ exhibition. OP in turquoise (hype every time I see it, for me only good as a summer watch by the pool on vacation)

Many people milling around, 3 people in front of me asked what’s available and were told nothing at all and when I specifically asked for the Exp II, he said hypothetically what’s your favourite dial colour, i said white (black was on display) I was told yes. Lucky day I guess.

I tried many times to find out any other stock availability and was told there is absolutely nothing. He did say he sold a Daytona TT black dial earlier.
Old 27 March 2022, 07:19 PM   #36
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All exhibition professional. A lot of OP and DJ exhibition. OP in turquoise (hype every time I see it, for me only good as a summer watch by the pool on vacation)

Many people milling around, 3 people in front of me asked what’s available and were told nothing at all and when I specifically asked for the Exp II, he said hypothetically what’s your favourite dial colour, i said white (black was on display) I was told yes. Lucky day I guess.

I tried many times to find out any other stock availability and was told there is absolutely nothing. He did say he sold a Daytona TT black dial earlier.
Wow. I guess if you go in there and ask for something specific and they like you.. you might get lucky. I imagine they’re selling to people they know as well.. wouldn’t be surprised.

Next time I go through Amsterdam, I’ll try my luck!
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:30 PM   #37
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Sometimes I feel this is quite fair, at least not only favour to the big spenders. Congrats again
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:31 PM   #38
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeD View Post
Gassan Schiphol is probably your best bet to find a popular model. They sell them first come first serve, but you'd have to be one of the campers waiting in front of the store
This is the problem with a Rolex AD just selling to the first person who walks in the shop, rather than based on purchase history. Whilst good money can be made flipping Rolex, they would just be snapped up by professional flippers, and/or you could see the scenes we saw of people fighting outside the Swatch boutiques in London yesterday, to get their hands on a plastic watch they think they can make a few quid on. They can make more than a few quid flipping Rolex so I dread to think what it would be like.

Strange times indeed in the watch world.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 08:13 PM   #39
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Posted on an incoming thread but thought I’d add a pic too.

The AD did question me, glance at me wearing my 6 year old DJ II, I guess a quick analysis of being a potential flipper.

They have chancers in there all the time, it’s up to them to make a judgement call.

He said I’m hoping you enjoy the watch and don’t decide to sell. He can’t follow my life, they’re just doing what they’ve been recommended by Rolex and their head office. It is what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2DFBA26F-7862-4622-83A7-AD19B4899AC8.jpeg (137.1 KB, 565 views)
Old 27 March 2022, 08:52 PM   #40
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

I am fortunate to have purchased a Datejust 41 and a Two tone CHNR from the AD at Schiphol Airport.
Dr.Mehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 07:01 PM   #41
MalibuDriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofromthebay View Post
I may find myself in Amsterdam in the very near future. Has anyone visited the ADs there? Worth a visit for fun?

I went last summer and they had just put a rose gold Yachtmaster in the window. It was mine if I wanted it, but I decided not to.
MalibuDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 07:04 PM   #42
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

They supposedly get in watches everyday,..
Must be the most important AD in the world.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 07:05 PM   #43
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Has anyone visited the ADs there?
The Dutch .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 10:55 PM   #44
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
To Amsterdam.
Old 4 April 2022, 04:40 PM   #45
KurtD
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea

I visited the AD in Shippol a couple weeks ago after landing at about 8am. There were about 3 or 4 people asking ahead of me who were all told they had nothing to sell. I asked and she said no and I engaged her further by saying you’ve got the worst job having to tell everyone no. I then asked if they ever do get watches and told her I’d asked in every Rolex AD we’d seen. She then said what are you looking for, and I told her I’d consider a few watches, I showed her 5-6 models in the catalog. I told her I was looking for my first Rolex and I had my nephew with me and I think those two things were key.

She said they get watches in almost everyday and said I should stop back in an hour or two. I did and she was careful to motion me to the back of the stare and waited until no one was in the store. She opened the catalog and told me she wasn’t sure but maybe she had a deep sea, and she’d still have to check. I said I’d def be interested and she told me to come back in 30 min or so. I then just went and sat out in front of the store and after about 20 min she signaled me in.

She had me go to the back and sit down and then retrieved it from a compartment in the wall, it a plastic bank drive thru tube. And she let me see it and try it on. She was so careful to not let anyone see what was happening and she’d stop if someone walked into the store. She did sell it to me, and I was ecstatic. I don’t believe any of the “checking to see”, or “wait to see if one arrives in todays mail” was true. She told me they are encouraged to sell them to new Rolex owners and they try very hard not to sell them to people who may resell them. The whole thing felt like a spy operation but it makes for a good story!
KurtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 06:41 PM   #46
PhilippeD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is exactly how they work there. If you walk in and ask for ANY Rolex, they know immediately you're a flipper and they won't sell you anything.

If you're genuinely interested in a few specific (maybe not the hottest) models, there's a good chance there's one in their vault waiting for you.
PhilippeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 06:41 PM   #47
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtD View Post
I visited the AD in Shippol a couple weeks ago after landing at about 8am. There were about 3 or 4 people asking ahead of me who were all told they had nothing to sell. I asked and she said no and I engaged her further by saying you’ve got the worst job having to tell everyone no. I then asked if they ever do get watches and told her I’d asked in every Rolex AD we’d seen. She then said what are you looking for, and I told her I’d consider a few watches, I showed her 5-6 models in the catalog. I told her I was looking for my first Rolex and I had my nephew with me and I think those two things were key.

She said they get watches in almost everyday and said I should stop back in an hour or two. I did and she was careful to motion me to the back of the stare and waited until no one was in the store. She opened the catalog and told me she wasn’t sure but maybe she had a deep sea, and she’d still have to check. I said I’d def be interested and she told me to come back in 30 min or so. I then just went and sat out in front of the store and after about 20 min she signaled me in.

She had me go to the back and sit down and then retrieved it from a compartment in the wall, it a plastic bank drive thru tube. And she let me see it and try it on. She was so careful to not let anyone see what was happening and she’d stop if someone walked into the store. She did sell it to me, and I was ecstatic. I don’t believe any of the “checking to see”, or “wait to see if one arrives in todays mail” was true. She told me they are encouraged to sell them to new Rolex owners and they try very hard not to sell them to people who may resell them. The whole thing felt like a spy operation but it makes for a good story!
Good story and congrats. I think you got lucky, but who cares, you got a nice watch.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 07:29 PM   #48
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
I may find myself in Amsterdam in the very near future. Has anyone visited the ADs there? Worth a visit for fun?

Don't eat the mushrooms.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 02:15 AM   #49
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:

did you miss your flight with all this secretive "come back in a few hours" instructions?
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:34 PM   #50
KurtD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSoul View Post
did you miss your flight with all this secretive "come back in a few hours" instructions?
I didn’t mis the flight. We had about a 4-5 hour layover. She originally said come back this afternoon, but I said I’ve got an 11:30 flight and she said that’s fine, come back after 9. I think she knew what she had all along and was testing to see if I was real and not a flipper.

I think there were at least 25-30 people who asked during the 3 times I was in the store and she told every single one that she didn’t have any watched to sell.
KurtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 03:08 PM   #51
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
I didn’t mis the flight. We had about a 4-5 hour layover. She originally said come back this afternoon, but I said I’ve got an 11:30 flight and she said that’s fine, come back after 9. I think she knew what she had all along and was testing to see if I was real and not a flipper.

I think there were at least 25-30 people who asked during the 3 times I was in the store and she told every single one that she didn’t have any watched to sell.
Was the sales lady middle aged and looks like someones aunt? If so, shes been working there for a long time and usually comes across fair and knows who is a real customer. Glad it worked out for you.

The last time I was there, 2019, she was selling a YM40 Rose Gold on Oysterflex to a guy whos bank card was getting declined. A few days later on the way home I asked what happened to the guy and she laughed and said "after a few frantic calls to the bank card helpline, he was able to buy the watch".
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 03:37 PM   #52
ccc75
"TRF" Member

Similar story to others at Schiphol. Got a Bluesy back in late 2019. Flight was leaving around 11am.

Popped in the store and engaged the SA in some casual conversation. Didn't really push hard at all. We were talking about subs and she asked if I was interested in a TT. Said she had one black and one blue. Brought them out and I was immediately taken a back by the blue one. It went home with me. Couldn't believe my luck, it was my first Rolex.
ccc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 07:29 PM   #53
bangkoktokyoseoul
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is pretty much what happened to me in January with my 124060 Sub No Date.

I was wearing a rareish SS Rolex and openly discussed watches using model code as opposed to nicknames.

We discussed what my 'grail' Rolex was and I was told to come back in 30 mins.

SUCCESS!!
bangkoktokyoseoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 08:21 PM   #54
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not just Dutch people, there are ‘Professional Shoppers’ whose full time job it is to fly around and buy ‘wanted’ models of everything, including Chanel, LV, Rolex, Hermes etc. they each have a backpack, credit card and phone with pictures of what they should buy.

It seems to be an entire ‘community’ as i saw a group cluster together in front of the Schiphol Rolex store, showing each-other what they’d scored and pictures of what they were looking for. Some seemed to know each other, some not.

They seem to travel between EU and UK airports snapping up anything and everything that’s available and ever so slightly ‘in demand’.

Pathetic that people do this. I wish this was a joke.

They need to simply ban these people.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 08:44 PM   #55
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Pathetic that people do this. I wish this was a joke.

They need to simply ban these people.

Actually it’s syndicates that pay these people to do this. The people hanging around the airports are not the end-customers…

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 08:56 PM   #56
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

True but not just flying around !
I was at a grey dealer last year waiting for my watch to be photographed for a consignment sale. The appointment after me waiting was one of those guys kind proudly telling about his job. He had a shopping bag full of Rolex boxes besides him. Driving around between European AD’s and just simply getting what he could, nothing more nothing less.

On topic : at Amsterdam (airport) they do get watches sometimes every day but definitely not from HQ. More because they are part of quit a large company with numerous shops on both the airport as well as Amsterdam city centre. Stock travels quit a lot for various reasons.
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:24 AM   #57
praha335ci
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C;TT Daytona
Will be in Schipol on a transfer flight from Bordeaux to Venezia in May hopefully they have a TT blue submariner for sale.
praha335ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 01:36 PM   #58
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by praha335ci View Post
Will be in Schipol on a transfer flight from Bordeaux to Venezia in May hopefully they have a TT blue submariner for sale.
Winning the jackpot or get struck by lighting has better odds from someone who passes there very frequent