The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2024, 11:42 AM   #1
CJ4189
"TRF" Member

First time purchaser

Good evening all,
I am only going to be in my current location for six months and wanting to get an Explorer II from an AD. Is this possible? If so, any help in establishing a relationship to ensure my success? Thank you.
CJ4189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 12:58 PM   #2
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Maybe ask the question with your local AD as they might give you an indication of your chances of getting one in your timeframe if not go grey that way you get what you want now.
Whichever way you go good luck with the chase
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 01:10 PM   #3
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Witness protection program? Go grey. Faster, more discrete.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 08:27 PM   #4
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Could tell him if he doesn’t sell it to you in that time frame you’ll rob the store .. that should sway it …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 09:44 PM   #5
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

OP, don't overthink this. Visit any AD and nicely tell them you want an Exp II. Mine took 2 months to get.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 09:47 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Walk in, explain you are new to the area and what you are hoping to get. Be genuine and see what they say. Good luck. It's doable but there's no secret to making it happen.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 10:27 PM   #7
CJ4189
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
OP, don't overthink this. Visit any AD and nicely tell them you want an Exp II. Mine took 2 months to get.
Did you have prior purchase history? When did you get yours? Thanks for the response.
Old 7 April 2024, 10:38 PM   #8
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You may not feel comfortable with this but stop in to see who ever is in charge of the allocation of the Rolex watches. I recently landed a piece, had met many times with one of the very pleasant sales people but found out that one of the owners controls the allocation of the Rolex watches so find out who that is and pop in regularly, don’t make a pest of yourself. If you call or email, you may never get a response and you have to keep your name/face in his/her memory bank by stopping in.

OP, when speaking to the right person, don’t always talk about watches, find out any interesting things about that person. Maybe they are a baseball fan, a tennis fan and when you go back in you can discuss those hot buttons. Tip: Keep away from politics. I would also shy away from telling the AD you are there for a short period of time. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 10:44 PM   #9
CJ4189
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
You may not feel comfortable with this but stop in to see who ever is in charge of the allocation of the Rolex watches. I recently landed a piece, had met many times with one of the very pleasant sales people but found out that one of the owners controls the allocation of the Rolex watches so find out who that is and pop in regularly, don’t make a pest of yourself. If you call or email, you may never get a response and you have to keep your name/face in his/her memory bank by stopping in.

OP, when speaking to the right person, don’t always talk about watches, find out any interesting things about that person. Maybe they are a baseball fan, a tennis fan and when you go back in you can discuss those hot buttons. Tip: Keep away from politics.
Thank you for the advice.
Old 7 April 2024, 11:28 PM   #10
CJ4189
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post

OP, when speaking to the right person, don’t always talk about watches, find out any interesting things about that person. Maybe they are a baseball fan, a tennis fan and when you go back in you can discuss those hot buttons. Tip: Keep away from politics. I would also shy away from telling the AD you are there for a short period of time. Good luck.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
Old 7 April 2024, 11:33 PM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4189 View Post
Good evening all,
I am only going to be in my current location for six months and wanting to get an Explorer II from an AD. Is this possible? If so, any help in establishing a relationship to ensure my success? Thank you.
Of course it’s possible. There’s no secret hidden plan or crystal ball. Go to the store, be friendly and kind, be the person they want to sell a watch to. Be sincere and remember there are no guarantees regarding timelines or results. And look at the bright side, if you fail to achieve your goal in six months you can try it again at a new AD.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 12:10 AM   #12
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4189 View Post
Did you have prior purchase history? When did you get yours? Thanks for the response.
I did not have any purchase history with this AD. Several years ago, while visiting family in the AD's area, I inquired about removing some troublesome tarnish on a gold GMT. They quickly solved the tarnish issue at no cost!
Fast forward to last Feb, I was in the AD's area again, and inquired about a new EXP II. I received their call for the Exp II last April. Good luck to you!
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 01:17 AM   #13
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Walk in, explain you are new to the area and what you are hoping to get. Be genuine and see what they say. Good luck. It's doable but there's no secret to making it happen.
Not sure if you should tell them you’re leaving in 6months though. That doesn’t make you sound like a repeat customer. Repeat customers, those that are likely to be, get allocations. Part of the reason few seem to have success buying anything on vacation.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 01:23 AM   #14
bkay001
2024 Pledge Member

Building a good relationship with an AD can definitely help. One tip is to visit the AD in person, chat with the staff, show genuine interest, and maybe even share your love for watches. Good luck with your Explorer II hunt!
bkay001 is offline   Reply With Quote