The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2024, 02:29 AM   #1
losteagle
"TRF" Member

Question about buying a second hand Day Date with engraving on back

I’m in the market for a Secondhand vintage all gold day date. I have located one with box and papers in unpolished condition. It looks really nice except the back has been engraved with a dedication from the CEO of a company to one of its top employees. The company is a “household name” and the person who is making the dedication is a national war, although not a household name.

Will this engraving detract from the value of the watch? Could it add to it?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and insight
losteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 02:45 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losteagle View Post
I’m in the market for a Secondhand vintage all gold day date. I have located one with box and papers in unpolished condition. It looks really nice except the back has been engraved with a dedication from the CEO of a company to one of its top employees. The company is a “household name” and the person who is making the dedication is a national war, although not a household name.

Will this engraving detract from the value of the watch? Could it add to it?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and insight
Doubt if it would add any value you could change the case back via Rolex but expensive since it's gold, but expect you get a bit back for you case back in exchange..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 02:48 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Do you like the watch or are you buying against future value?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 03:03 AM   #4
losteagle
"TRF" Member

I just don’t want to find out later that the engraving negatively impacted the value. I am not looking for a value enhancement. Just want to avoid being a sucker.

Point taken about simply getting a new back. But as noted solid gold back aint gonna be cheap. And the engraving seems too deep to polish off, but what do i know…
Old 8 April 2024, 03:06 AM   #5
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Personally the engraving wouldn’t bother me if the price was right although I might use the engraving to my advantage to lower the purchase price by leveraging the cost of a new caseback. Also while I personally think that the engraving is an interesting bit of provenance it doesn’t add to the value of the watch. Because I’m not enamored of display casebacks or caseback engraving in general I might very well just wear the watch as it is. If it’s the right watch for you then buy it.

As a side note I have an old Zippo lighter that my long gone dad said he found on a sidewalk somewhere. It is engraved, “Mr. Wills, Lansing’s Best Salesman.” I love that thing and it’s the engraving that tells the story.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losteagle View Post
I just don’t want to find out later that the engraving negatively impacted the value. I am not looking for a value enhancement. Just want to avoid being a sucker.

Point taken about simply getting a new back. But as noted solid gold back aint gonna be cheap. And the engraving seems too deep to polish off, but what do i know…
Would doubt if this DD would be classed as being collectible, as most of the value is in the precious metal,so if you are happy with the price just buy and wear it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 03:21 AM   #7
losteagle
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the additional responses. All very helpful.

This watch is one that my 23 yr old son is eyeing with his hard-earned money. He likes the nostalgia and wants to wear it and pass it to his son one day. i just want to help steer him. As has been alluded, there are a lot of these DDs out there. But it’s a damn beautiful vintage watch with rich unpolished patina gold. And the size is quite fitting for him.

I like the idea of using the engraving as negotiating leverage - so thanks for that!
Old 8 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you dont like it then you can send the case back to someone to laser weld with gold filler rod and then grind down smooth. It may cost you a grand since its gold, so you may want to figure that into what you are paying for the piece.
Old 8 April 2024, 03:27 AM   #9
losteagle
"TRF" Member

thanks for the additional feedback - all very helpful.

This watch is one that my 23 year old son is eyeing with his hard-earned money. It’s a vintage iconic watch that he really appreciates wants to wear it and pass it in to his son one day. I am just trying to steer him in the right direction. As has been alluded, there are tons of these DDs out there but this particular watch is damn beautiful with its unpolished very well kept rich patina gold.

I like Kevin’s idea to use the engraving as negotiating leverage (ignoring how cool i particularly think it is) - so thanks for that!
Old 8 April 2024, 04:26 AM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If the engraving is not too deep it’s easy to remove. Case backs are plenty thick.
Usually engraved watches are a lot cheaper but since it is an easy fix it shouldn’t be
Old 8 April 2024, 04:53 AM   #11
WhistlerX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Why not leave it? It’s part of the provenance of the DD …
WhistlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 04:55 AM   #12
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I've always viewed engravings as part of the provenance also. Always special when a piece marked an accomplishment in life or a special moment.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 04:58 AM   #13
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I think I know the watch you are talking about. I would leave it alone. The watch looks to be in great shape and that engraving is part of its provenance. Just leave it alone IMHO. You could always buy another case back and save that one.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:18 AM   #14
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I've seen some amazing steel work surely a goldsmith could rub it down and buff it and add gold if required
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:44 AM   #15
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
It wouldn't bother me at all!.
Sounds cool

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:52 AM   #16
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Try to use it to negotiate a good price. It wouldn't bother me to have an engraving if the price is right. The unpolished condition would be more important of a selling point to me.

However, if you buy it, I would leave it alone. If I knew a watch used to have an engraving that was later polished away, I would view that as a negative. not a deal breaker, but not great.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:52 AM   #17
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
I've always viewed engravings as part of the provenance also. Always special when a piece marked an accomplishment in life or a special moment.
Fully agree. If you like the watch, go for it.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:52 AM   #18
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I assume you are getting a good discount or you would simply buy one that isn’t engraved.
Old 8 April 2024, 06:37 AM   #19
Patekfinder
Banned

Buy the watch and send it to LA Watch Works. They can easily remove the engraving without taking off any metal. They will fill in the engraving with welds and then polish it down to be equal with the original caseback. They are miracle workers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:41 AM   #20
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP -
You are almost always paying a premium for box and papers on an older DD36 -
3 Q’S to ask yourself:
Are there other DD36’s for the exact same price without the engraving on 47th street?
Do I have to have this watch or maybe there’s another one for me (walk away power)?
Am I okay with looking at someone else’s message on the watch for the next 10+ years?
Good luck, Sir!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #21
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I don’t think the engraving would add value if anything I’d be looking at getting it cheaper because of it
But for me just buy it and enjoy it
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 07:41 AM   #22
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
I don't know anyone who's specifically looking for "household name" companies engraved on the back of their Day Date, so I'm guessing it won't increase the value. (Unless this household-name company happens to be Tiffany.)

Any household-name engraving would greatly detract from the watch's desirability for me personally.

"Heinz." "Coke." "Philips." "Mars."

Ugh.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 07:51 AM   #23
losteagle
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide thoughts and insights.

I have gotten the gist loud and clear and really appreciate it.