The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2024, 05:35 PM   #31
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
Funny that my thread was revived. I actually moved my DJ and bought a DD40 instead. Always intrigued by the SkyD though.
My next move too. From DJ41 silver fluted jubilee to DD40 white with blue ombré dial.
I just don’t wear the DJ41 anymore. Have sporty models like Daytona OF, BLNR, 126500 Daytona white. Just no desire to wear the DJ41 anymore. It is sparkly though! I wish it was a little smaller: DJ40? Actually just past the DJ phase and ready for full PM
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 08:40 PM   #32
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Funny that my thread was revived. I actually moved my DJ and bought a DD40 instead. Always intrigued by the SkyD though.
Which DD40 did you get? Picture?
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 09:28 PM   #33
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Sky-Dweller fan and also like the DJ models. To me it comes down to wrist size and the complications you want. I have a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist and the Sky-Dweller wears like a larger DJ to me. I feel the same way with my SD43 and the Submariner Date. I like the blue but if I had to go with just one it would be the white Sky-Dweller followed by the black and then the blue. Just me. I have those three models in SS and now all on jubilee. Need to update my picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200818_113343 (002).jpg (207.7 KB, 65 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 10:40 PM   #34
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Bought the new YG silver dials with baton hour markers. The classic DD look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RenderedContent-92B51FAC-E53F-472B-8973-9341339AA64D.jpeg (209.1 KB, 59 views)
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 10:41 PM   #35
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a huge Sky-Dweller fan and also like the DJ models. To me it comes down to wrist size and the complications you want. I have a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist and the Sky-Dweller wears like a larger DJ to me. I feel the same way with my SD43 and the Submariner Date. I like the blue but if I had to go with just one it would be the white Sky-Dweller followed by the black and then the blue. Just me. I have those three models in SS and now all on jubilee. Need to update my picture.
Nice collection of SkyD's!
Old 14 June 2024, 10:45 PM   #36
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
My next move too. From DJ41 silver fluted jubilee to DD40 white with blue ombré dial.
I just don’t wear the DJ41 anymore. Have sporty models like Daytona OF, BLNR, 126500 Daytona white. Just no desire to wear the DJ41 anymore. It is sparkly though! I wish it was a little smaller: DJ40? Actually just past the DJ phase and ready for full PM
I felt the DJ wore very flat on the wrist similar to the Exp II. And at 41 it looked off on my wrist just like the Exp II both of which I no longer own. I totally agree that the DJ should be a 40. The DD wears perfect on my wrist except that the fit is not quite perfect so I am in the process of acquiring a 1/2 Link or the 1.25 link to give me the one finger gap.
Old 14 June 2024, 11:16 PM   #37
samson66

Quote:
I felt the DJ wore very flat on the wrist similar to the Exp II. And at 41 it looked off on my wrist just like the Exp II both of which I no longer own. I totally agree that the DJ should be a 40. The DD wears perfect on my wrist except that the fit is not quite perfect so I am in the process of acquiring a 1/2 Link or the 1.25 link to give me the one finger gap.
I know I sound like a broken record on this but every time I hear someone say "I wish the DJ41 was a 40 mm" it makes me cringe a little. The Datejust 41 is a 39.5mm watch. The Day Date 40 is a 38.5mm watch. So the DJ is already a 40, in fact it's smaller than that. To me it's perfect in size, as is the DD40. I wouldn't change the dimensions of either one of them. Love them both.
Old 14 June 2024, 11:22 PM   #38
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have those three models in SS and now all on jubilee. Need to update my picture.
My third Sky Dweller came on Jubilee. I ordered a Jubilee for my second one the day after I got my third. My first (SS black) Sky Dweller is still on its original Oyster and I'm surprised how different it looks. Makes a nice change and wears comfortably, but I prefer the Jubilee overall.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #39
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I know I sound like a broken record on this but every time I hear someone say "I wish the DJ41 was a 40 mm" it makes me cringe a little. The Datejust 41 is a 39.5mm watch. The Day Date 40 is a 38.5mm watch. So the DJ is already a 40, in fact it's smaller than that. To me it's perfect in size, as is the DD40. I wouldn't change the dimensions of either one of them. Love them both.
Yes, I know that true measure of the DJ is less than 40 but I feel for that watch 38 mm is probably ideal and it does wear much larger than it's actual size in my opinion. The DD is also 39 mm if I am not mistaken. The DD40 sits higher on the wrist then the DJ on my wrist.
Old 14 June 2024, 11:41 PM   #40
samson66

Quote:
Yes, I know that true measure of the DJ is less than 40 but I feel for that watch 38 mm is probably ideal and it does wear much larger than it's actual size in my opinion. The DD is also 39 mm if I am not mistaken. The DD40 sits higher on the wrist then the DJ on my wrist.
Well everyone's version of perfect size is different. I think Rolex wouldn't want to market a "Datejust 38" because it would be too close in size to the existing Datejust 36. They wanted to market a Datejust for folks with larger wrists or simply those that found the 36 to be too small for their liking. The decided marketing the 38.5 DD as a DD40 and the 39.6 DJ as a DJ41 worked best for their sales. They do the same thing with several other watches.

I tried on a YG DD40 with white dial and romans it is a SUPERB watch. I think making it slightly smaller than the DJ41 makes sense since it seems to wear a little larger than the numbers might suggest. As you point out maybe it sits a little higher? Maybe the gold draws the eyes more? Not sure but I think they nailed the dimensions of both. Again my vantage point is a 7.5" wrist. YMMV

Your DD looks great. They are amazing watches for sure. I hope to join you one day...
Old 14 June 2024, 11:48 PM   #41
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

the added bulk and busy dial isn't for me
spellmanski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 12:53 AM   #42
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Well everyone's version of perfect size is different. I think Rolex wouldn't want to market a "Datejust 38" because it would be too close in size to the existing Datejust 36. They wanted to market a Datejust for folks with larger wrists or simply those that found the 36 to be too small for their liking. The decided marketing the 38.5 DD as a DD40 and the 39.6 DJ as a DJ41 worked best for their sales. They do the same thing with several other watches.

I tried on a YG DD40 with white dial and romans it is a SUPERB watch. I think making it slightly smaller than the DJ41 makes sense since it seems to wear a little larger than the numbers might suggest. As you point out maybe it sits a little higher? Maybe the gold draws the eyes more? Not sure but I think they nailed the dimensions of both. Again my vantage point is a 7.5" wrist. YMMV

Your DD looks great. They are amazing watches for sure. I hope to join you one day...
I knew about the true dimensions too. I just feel that dd40 fits me better and is more exciting to wear. Of course if Rolex made a “DJ40” it would be just that much smaller then than thr current model and fit me better. DJ41 is very comfortable though. For your wrists; you do have enough real estate to wear the DJ41 perfectly!
Do you think the DD40 size wears better on you than a DJ41 or would you like a bigger DD41?
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:06 AM   #43
samson66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
I knew about the true dimensions too. I just feel that dd40 fits me better and is more exciting to wear. Of course if Rolex made a “DJ40” it would be just that much smaller then than thr current model and fit me better. DJ41 is very comfortable though. For your wrists; you do have enough real estate to wear the DJ41 perfectly!
Do you think the DD40 size wears better on you than a DJ41 or would you like a bigger DD41?
I'm not sure if you were directing this question to me or the OP (or maybe both)?

If asking me, I think both the DD40 and DJ41 are perfect as they are. The DD40 is a more upscale more dressy watch than the DJ41 so it makes sense to me that it's slightly (~1mm) smaller. I don't own a DD but I've tried them on a couple times and was very happy with how it wore. The DJ41 is perfection on my wrist. I used to own the DJII which was a true 41mm watch. Wore fine on me but I think the smaller diameter and thickness, along with the wider jubilee bracelet took a good watch and made it great (for my wrist anyway).
Old 15 June 2024, 01:48 AM   #44
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if you were directing this question to me or the OP (or maybe both)?

If asking me, I think both the DD40 and DJ41 are perfect as they are. The DD40 is a more upscale more dressy watch than the DJ41 so it makes sense to me that it's slightly (~1mm) smaller. I don't own a DD but I've tried them on a couple times and was very happy with how it wore. The DJ41 is perfection on my wrist. I used to own the DJII which was a true 41mm watch. Wore fine on me but I think the smaller diameter and thickness, along with the wider jubilee bracelet took a good watch and made it great (for my wrist anyway).
I too liked the DJ bracelet being wider. My wrist is 7.25 and I wear the SD43 and DSSD JC without issues but I also like that they sit up higher. My main issue with the DJ is that it sits much more flat. I have had 16 and a 116 DJ in the past and they sat higher on the wrist more me. Also owned the DJII which I liked but boy was the fluted bezel large.