The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 June 2024, 02:06 AM   #1
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Demagnetizer?

My Baltic diver was conistently running a few secords/day slow.

I had been told that the first thing to do from a trouble shooting perspective is to run it thru a demagnetizer.

I have one of those small blue boxes with the red button (which I had never used). After using it on the Baltic, the watch is not running 5 minutes/day.

What have I done/What should I do?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 07:22 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
My Baltic diver was conistently running a few secords/day slow.

I had been told that the first thing to do from a trouble shooting perspective is to run it thru a demagnetizer.

I have one of those small blue boxes with the red button (which I had never used). After using it on the Baltic, the watch is not running 5 minutes/day.

What have I done/What should I do?
Ironically, a demagnetizer used incorrectly will magnetize the watch instead. Your watch wasn't magnetized before, but it is now.

I recommend researching the proper use (youtube) and then repeating the demagnetizing procedure. This should get you back to the small handful of seconds per day slow. From there I recommend having a watchmaker regulate your watch.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 12:06 PM   #3
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Ironically, a demagnetizer used incorrectly will magnetize the watch instead. Your watch wasn't magnetized before, but it is now.

I recommend researching the proper use (youtube) and then repeating the demagnetizing procedure. This should get you back to the small handful of seconds per day slow. From there I recommend having a watchmaker regulate your watch.
Thank you. Its amazing what following directions can do.

My Baltic is back to being a little slow, and I may have it regulated if I can find a watchmaker nearby. How much should one expect to pay for a routine regulation?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 12:54 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I wouldn’t adjust a watch running -2 seconds/day.

I would find an overnight position where it runs +.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:20 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
...How much should one expect to pay for a routine regulation?
Oh, man, all of the watchmakers where I live are dead and gone. I'm down to one watchmaker in town, but I've never asked him to regulate anything for me. If I have a watch that ought to be regulated I just suffer with it until routine maintenance is needed. Maybe other members will chime in.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
For future reference, buy a compass in as little housing as possible. Set it on a table until it is perfectly still. Hover the watch close to it from all angles. If the needle does not move at all, the watch is not magnetized.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote