The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2024, 01:02 AM   #1
Jack4444
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Advice

Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong thread.

I registered with both Rolex and a number of dealers back in 2019 to purchase an Oyster Perpetual 36 silver dial.

As I was not expecting to hear back I purchased a 1980s datejust that I am really happy with.

I was contacted this week with the above in stock asking if I was interested in buying the above.

I would be interested in everyone’s thoughts this watch in general, how it holds value, and how turning it down would impact my chances of purchasing future watches in the future?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Jack4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:07 AM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
The watch will depreciate in value. Unless you're buying a highly sought after piece (OP 36MM is not) you will have depreciation. At what rate? Don't know.

If you don't buy the watch you won't have established buying history but that doesn't mean that your chances of buying something in the future will be hurt. You just haven't improved them. Everything in retail goes through cycles. This cycle of unavailable pieces will not last forever and you will eventually have the opportunity to buy at walk-in.

If you're buying this watch because you're concerned about the relationship with your authorized dealer, you are purchasing a watch for all of the wrong reasons in my humble opinion.

If you still want the watch, you feel like it is going to bring pleasure and joy and you can afford it, go buy it! Otherwise, enjoy your Datejust.
Old 29 June 2024, 01:14 AM   #3
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4444 View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong thread.

I registered with both Rolex and a number of dealers back in 2019 to purchase an Oyster Perpetual 36 silver dial.

As I was not expecting to hear back I purchased a 1980s datejust that I am really happy with.

I was contacted this week with the above in stock asking if I was interested in buying the above.

I would be interested in everyone’s thoughts this watch in general, how it holds value, and how turning it down would impact my chances of purchasing future watches in the future?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
If you turn it down, you can probably kiss goodbye to being considered for anything else in the future, not gonna lie to you. It's an entry level piece and generally the sort of thing that an AD would measure your seriousness with. I say this because it's essentially better off assuming it's prevented you getting any further, rather than stringing you along forever.

In terms of value retention, like most stainless steel Rolex, it tends to have fairly strong residual value, however the silver dial is not the most desirable, and if you were to wear it for a while then decide to sell it, you will probably be able to get around what you paid for it, perhaps a touch less. It's never going to jump up wildly in value though, and there is a risk that it could easily reduce if value in time, nothing is certain.

Value retention shouldn't really be your main priority when buying a watch, I know we all take it into consideration, because it's great that some of these things do indeed hold strong values on the open market, but if it's your main thought process behind buying, it's highly unlikely you're going to truly enjoy ownership. Just my 2p.
Old 29 June 2024, 01:17 AM   #4
Jack4444
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
The watch will depreciate in value. Unless you're buying a highly sought after piece (OP 36MM is not) you will have depreciation. At what rate? Don't know.

If you don't buy the watch you won't have established buying history but that doesn't mean that your chances of buying something in the future will be hurt. You just haven't improved them. Everything in retail goes through cycles. This cycle of unavailable pieces will not last forever and you will eventually have the opportunity to buy at walk-in.

If you're buying this watch because you're concerned about the relationship with your authorized dealer, you are purchasing a watch for all of the wrong reasons in my humble opinion.

If you still want the watch, you feel like it is going to bring pleasure and joy and you can afford it, go buy it! Otherwise, enjoy your Datejust.
Thank you, really helpful advice. As I would want to wear it should I purchase it I am leaning towards passing and waiting for future options.
Jack4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:24 AM   #5
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Advice

It’s a stunning piece. I own it and it makes a great 2nd Rolex with my Datejust, also a 36. It was my first purchase at my AD, and now they’ve sold me a second, and I’m waiting on my third, which should be here very soon. If you turn it down, don’t expect to get anything from that AD again. That’s just reality in the current market. People have said it’s getting easier, but we haven’t seen any solid evidence of that. Demand is still much greater than supply, even for an OP. I’d buy it, if I were you, and switch between the two watches. You are asking this question of a bunch of folks who almost all have more than one Rolex and wear them all.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:58 AM   #6
oknice
Banned

2019 OP 36 was discontinued, silver is now a two tone dial, I’d pass
oknice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 02:04 AM   #7
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknice View Post
2019 OP 36 was discontinued, silver is now a two tone dial, I’d pass

The current silver OP is above. It’s ‘s Silver dial with gold hands and indices, not a Two tone, per se, and, as I said, stunning IRL, though the gold accents do not show up well in this pic.

Kat

Old 29 June 2024, 02:16 AM   #8
watchboi316
"TRF" Member

I will preface by saying that I love the OP36 . However It’s not a particularly sought after watch and possible to have it at discount if you look hard enough. Feel free to pass the offer unless you really want the watch
watchboi316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 03:02 AM   #9
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
First off I think it's a really classy watch. If you are trying to build a collection, this would be a good way to establish a relationship with the AD. If you are happy with one or two watches then just by what you want through other channels.

Most modern Rolexes retain their value pretty well. You might lose 10-20% if you wear it and decide to sell it but that is not bad in the luxury product world. You won't make any money if you decide to flip it though.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 03:10 AM   #10
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

We all can tell you all kinds of things. There is no formal policy that says if you buy a watch that you will get offered many more or that if you turn a watch down, that you won’t be offered others. After 5 years, things can change on the consumers end.

With that said, this is a great watch and quite unique. See it in person and decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy it. Compare to any other OP and you should know what you like better. I think that silver dial would look great on brown leather so thst should add some versatility.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 03:21 AM   #11
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I would definitely get it. You will notice the difference in a modern watch compared to what you have.
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 03:57 AM   #12
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post

This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 09:03 AM   #13
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
The cost of Rolex goes up higher than inflation over the long run. Buy it if you like it and wear for 10 years and most likely you would at worst break even.
Old 29 June 2024, 09:11 AM   #14
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Does value retention really matter if that's the watch you've wanted for the last five years?
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:37 AM   #15
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboi316 View Post
I will preface by saying that I love the OP36 . However It’s not a particularly sought after watch and possible to have it at discount if you look hard enough. Feel free to pass the offer unless you really want the watch

None of the newest line of OPs can be had at a discount, if new. If they can, please tell us where.

Kat

Old 29 June 2024, 10:44 AM   #16
KenRose
"TRF" Member

I have the OP Green in 41. I told my salesperson that I wanted the green or the silver. The silver is truly classic and the gold hands looks fantastic. I love my green but I think the silver is probably the better choice. You won't lose money on it. Buy it and wear it until you get whatever your follow up choice is. Then sell it to someone here.

PS This is assuming you are not paying for the watch on credit
KenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 11:15 AM   #17
Subshark1861
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 126710BLNR
I'm going to get the OP36 in either silver or blue. I've tried on the silver, but want to see the blue before I commit. The silver is a really good looking watch.
Subshark1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 11:18 AM   #18
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Honestly, the OP is great and a beautiful watch. However if you can’t keep both, keep the DJ. You said you are really happy with it so why change a winning formula.

I would go and check out the OP first though, no harm in checking it out.
Old 29 June 2024, 11:50 AM   #19
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
If you pass on this, future options may not come. You liked it enough to get on the list in the first place. If you're happy with your 80's DJ, you will almost certainly be happy with a modern OP.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:34 PM   #20
oknice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
If you pass on this, future options may not come. You liked it enough to get on the list in the first place. If you're happy with your 80's DJ, you will almost certainly be happy with a modern OP.
He got on the list for the discontinued silver OP 36, which is now a two tone dial, big downgrade
Old 29 June 2024, 04:44 PM   #21
KatGirl

Quote:
He got on the list for the discontinued silver OP 36, which is now a two tone dial, big downgrade

You are the first person I’ve ever heard say they didn’t like the silver dial OP with gold accents. It is one of the best dials in the whole Rolex catalogue, IMO. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Kat

Old 29 June 2024, 04:51 PM   #22
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You are the first person I’ve ever heard say they didn’t like the silver dial OP with gold accents. It is one of the best dials in the whole Rolex catalogue, IMO. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Kat

Yeah it’s pretty. Subtle but a pop of gold!
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:10 PM   #23
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:

Yeah, depends who you ask. Personally, I’m a fan.

If it was a two-tone case to go along with that dial, I would agree with you. Too much gold for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:19 PM   #24
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Buy it only if you want it and intend to wear it.
It's a great watch but not high demand. It will be easily available in the future if you're not ready yet.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 03:24 AM   #25
oknice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

It’s not what he originally wanted, that was all silver, now it’s a two tone dial, big difference and personally can’t stand it, guaranteed I’m not the only.
Old 30 June 2024, 10:49 AM   #26
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have the 41 in Silver. I was lucky enough to have my choice of dials (except Tiffany) when I purchased it in 2020. I thought then, and continue to think that it is a classic look and the best of what was offered at the time IMHO.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it speaks to you. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4823 (1).jpeg (275.0 KB, 113 views)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote