The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 June 2024, 07:45 AM   #1
elau1958
"TRF" Member

Sea Gull from China

I know Chinese is not known for watches but I have been fascinated by the Sea Gull brand and decided to pull the trigger on one (as they are so cheap). It is a 1963 Chronograph re-make with an updated ST-1901 manual movement. The ST-1901 movement comes with Swan Neck regulator (there is always argument whether Swan Neck is better or not) which has an exhibition case back. My initial feeling is that the watch is very well built and I am surprised how heavy the watch is (I choose the 38mm instead of the 40mm). I examined the movement using a loupe and every part is polished and no harsh sharp edges. For $200 I got a watch with sapphire crystal front and back, blue screws, blue movement hands, 316L stainless steel, butter soft green leather with quick-change release, green sunburst dial, a stamped tang buckle, tool and polishing cloth, warranty paper and a travel case.

For $200 it is in line for the price of a Seiko 5 dive watch but I get so much more. I also noticed the winding mechanism is extremely smooth and it has been on my wrist all day. It has been keeping time well.

Now, how long it's gonna last will be another topic. I hope it won't let me down and will last for some time to come. Anybody here also owner of a Sea Gull?
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 09:38 AM   #2
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Pictures?
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 09:43 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sea Gull from China

Amazon has them for $175 if I found the right one you described.
https://a.co/d/08NAOq6w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 10:26 PM   #4
llngoc
"TRF" Member

It is indeed amazing value for what you get. One drawback though, when it comes time to service, it may cost more than the watch as it is a chronograph and sending it back to China is not practical.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote