The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 June 2024, 08:38 PM   #1
RNZU
"TRF" Member

Can you help me with your opinion on this Datejust 1601

Hi all, I posted previously regarding this watch, but just want your opinion once more since I took some new photos in different lighting.

I’d like your help and opinion to see if the watch has been polished or not. I have taken it to a watchmaker who told me it looked like it was, and I might take it to another one or 2 places for their opinion too, but I’d also like your thoughts as well. The dealer has said it hasn’t been polished and that there’s no service history. The watchmaker said it sounds like it was serviced when he wound it. The watch still has its case back sticker and the bezel looks new (I think it has oxidised properly over this time). The lugs also look sharp and not much of the case is rounded at all to my eye. It was listed as “Like New”. Just thought I’d get your opinions once more since some of you have good experience with this kind of stuff.

Thanks for the help.
RNZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 08:59 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
It's a old watch and if it's been serviced at the recommended service intervals by any RSC, it's been polish as in normal service for a watch of that age, and looks like the hundreds of other polished TT DJs of that age.But it's a good example for a watch of that age and would say any polishing done was by RSC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 09:45 PM   #3
RNZU
"TRF" Member

True. Sorry to ask again, but do you think this watch has been polished judging by these photos? The dealer said he got it from another dealer who got it from the first owner.
RNZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 09:49 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish I could help. The DJ case shape is a lot tougher (for me) as it already has curves from new.

It’s a good looking watch though IMHO
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 11:50 PM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nice-looking vintage DJ with a very good case. That’s all you should really worry about.

But if you’re obsessing over the polished vs. unpolished question (we’ve all been there) I’d say it’s looks as if it’s been lightly polished in the past. The lug holes look a little closer to the case edge than I’ve seen on truly unpolished examples and the holes themselves look slightly bowed in, which usually indicates a polish. Compare the crown-side lug holes. They’re not the same.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks fine, don't overthink it. Apparently you like the watch, so why not get off the fence and make an offer that you're comfortable with. How will gathering opinions about whether it is unpolished or lightly polished make any tangible difference?
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
If you leave the hands in your pockets and focus on some close-ups of the watch, a more concise evaluation would be possible - although it appears to have probably been polished in the past, you'll find that most 50 to 60-year-old Datejusts have seen some polishing/refinishing in the past. It appears to be a nice example whether it has been polished or not.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM   #8
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

It’s 50+ years old. It probably has been polished (like the majority of 50 + year old watches). But, the case looks strong.