The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 July 2024, 04:29 AM   #1
Peej
"TRF" Member

Porsche Design/IWC collectors

Hey TRF, was wondering if anyone was interested in the Porsche Design/IWC watches from the 80s/90s. I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on either the ocean 2000/500, titan, or maybe a compass.

I find these pieces to be slightly underrated/under the radar. I also feel like I’d be able to travel with them too, unlike my Rolex watches.

Would love to start a convo on the brand from those who own some pieces from this time period!
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 07:16 AM   #2
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

991 series 911 Turbo S, GT2 Club Sport and 992 C2S owner here -
The old stuff from Orfina and IWC are overpriced and are non-chronometers for the most part. I’ve got a few old mid 80’s-90’s pieces but they’re not going to give you any “wow factor”.
If you had to buy one, your best bet is the Ocean 2000 or the Eterna divers watch - I think they at least have an ETA Chronometer 2824 or 2892 inside so they’ll keep good time.
PS
Titanium is very dull so these oldies do look old and dated….
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 07:21 AM   #3
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

One more thing - my grandkids got me a Black titanium Porsche Design with PVD coating - it’s a sharp watch, very modern, but keeps so so time. PD was sold to VW and they used Sellitta movements that are not chronometer grade - yet their list price is like $6000 and you can find them all day long on EBay and Chrono24 for $750-1500……
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:58 PM   #4
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej View Post
Hey TRF, was wondering if anyone was interested in the Porsche Design/IWC watches from the 80s/90s. I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on either the ocean 2000/500, titan, or maybe a compass.

I find these pieces to be slightly underrated/under the radar. I also feel like I’d be able to travel with them too, unlike my Rolex watches.

Would love to start a convo on the brand from those who own some pieces from this time period!
I've never owned one but I've tried them many times back when they were new, and I really like the old IWC ones. They were creative, and one of the pioneers of using Titanium for watches. Most people don't know what they are and so yes they fly under the radar.

The Ocean 2000 wears pretty large compared to my 216570 Explorer II, but it's definitely unique. I think a lot of people overlooked them when they were new because they were very expensive. A Sea-Dweller had an MSRP of about $3500 in the mid 90's while an Ocean 2000 was about $6K. I have one of their old catalogs. Granted both could be purchased with big discounts back then, but the PD/IWC would still have cost a lot more money.

The the Compass watch also wears pretty large. The Titan Chronograph wears like a normal watch and is quite handsome.

Personally, I like the old PD made by IWC far more than any of the subsequent Eterna products, or current products that just try to sell the watches based on their ties to the car company. The only modern ones I've liked were actually their re-issues of the products made by IWC. Wishing you lots of luck and fun shopping for a vintage PD/IWC.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #5
Peej
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. I’m actually looking at some quartz variants because I know the automatic movements aren’t the best. I don’t mind a quartz piece if it’s the right quartz.
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote