The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2024, 04:46 PM   #1
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Watch buying in Europe

I have already been turned down twice but in the unlikely event I can find what I want….if I were to buy a Good Day Date 49 here am I calculations correctly that it would be around 5-6k less than in the states due to getting a large portion of the VAT back?
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:30 PM   #2
tzwick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613 Sub
You're right about the VAT refund making a significant difference. When you purchase a watch in Europe, you typically pay the local VAT, which can be quite high. However, as a non-resident, you can often reclaim most of that VAT when you leave the country.

For a high-value purchase like a Day-Date, this could indeed save you a substantial amount. Just make sure to keep all your receipts and get the necessary paperwork done before you leave. Also, check the specific refund rate and process for the country where you're buying the watch, as it can vary.
tzwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:32 PM   #3
chris007
"TRF" Member

Don't forget : you will have to pay the US VAT when you return to the US!
chris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:43 PM   #4
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Good luck finding at msrp
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:56 PM   #5
rlx123
"TRF" Member

I am in Europe now. Went to an AD in Sicily. The SA didn’t even greet me when I walked in. I asked about explorer, they said they don’t have ANY watch in stock and proceeded to ignore me. I asked to try on a day date and she said it’s for display only. No trying on. I know not all AD’s are like this, but this kind of service from some AD’s is not good for image of Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:08 PM   #6
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

VAT is varying across Europe, from 8.1% in Switzerland to 27% in Hungary. The way customs are handling the export documents, are totally different as well. There are countries were you just present the goods at the airport before security to get all stamps on the docs from customs, then there are countries were you present the goods after security check to customs. And there countries (e.g. Germany) where you present your goods to customs, you get all needed stamps, then you have to put your goods into your suitcase/bag and the customs will check in your baggage. And don't forget, you need to contact the customs at the airport or place of your last destination before leaving the EU or non-EU territory. So be careful when buying in a EU-country and leaving from a non-EU country or vice versa. And on top of all, there are organisations who will claim the VAT back for you and the commission for that is actually quite high for that service. But unfortunately almost impossible to do it by yourself, unless you come back to Europe, go to the AD who sold you the Rolex and claim back full VAT right there in the shop.
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:29 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx123 View Post
I am in Europe now. Went to an AD in Sicily. The SA didn’t even greet me when I walked in. I asked about explorer, they said they don’t have ANY watch in stock and proceeded to ignore me. I asked to try on a day date and she said it’s for display only. No trying on. I know not all AD’s are like this, but this kind of service from some AD’s is not good for image of Rolex.
The message seems pretty clear. I got similar treatment from an AD in Cyprus, locals only, don't waste your time in here and we won't waste ours. My AD is the same with non locals although they are more polite about it. It's less about Rolex image than local customs/behaviour. Any kind of refusal offends some people. Polite or dismissive, the outcome is the same.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:18 PM   #8
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
They were much nicer in Capri than Rome even though I could not buy my current grail. I had an appointment at a Rolex dealer but had mild food poisoning so couldn’t go at my time. Just tried now and was told not without an appointment while wearing my DD 40 plat. My wife said it’s become offensive that you are begging to buy a 40k watch and it’s ridiculous. She’s not wrong it is a bit of a turn off at this point. I hate my addiction….
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:27 PM   #9
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Just buy a Panerai in Italy to make your trip memorable.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:21 PM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I’m guessing it will depend on where you are in Europe. I think I’m right in thinking you don’t get your vat back now on leaving uk borders so it will vary from country to country
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:33 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
She’s not wrong it is a bit of a turn off at this point. I hate my addiction….
What other brands has she suggested? Surely she has seen many timepieces at the many stores you visit over the years.

My wife is also into timepieces, so ask your wife what other brands / timepieces she approves of. Surely brands like Cartier, Omega, Tudor, etc. are to be considered. By chance have you / her seen the custom-made watches by Torsti Laine? It was great fun for my wife and i to bond while designing a custom timepiece together.

Look forward to hearing back about the many other timepieces you desire.

PS: Below is my wife's custom timepiece we designed, am curious what your wife thinks about it. Maybe she'd prefer a different color or dial design for you? Many thanks and look forward to hearing back.

Laine_GG3_Wrist_Cashmere.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 12:39 AM   #12
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
I use this website to give me an idea of what the refund will look like.

https://glocalzone.com/vat-refund-calculator

I’ve found that sometimes it’s right on and other times it can be off a few percent. Also, some countries allow the retailer to limit the VAT that’ll be refunded. Make sure you ask how much you’ll be refunded before you buy. Refunds on large purchases typically take place at the airport on departure but occasionally you’ll find some that will do it in store, or maybe that depends on the country requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote