The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2024, 09:11 AM   #1
erling
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and TT DJ
Rolex 16610 overhaul

I have a Rolex Submariner 16610, 1992 model. I bought it used in 2003.
I took it to my AD for overhaul.
I have been told not to restore Rolex watches too much. Keep them in their original condition. Don´t restore too much of it. (to keep the walue of the watch)
The lume of my watch is exhausted (doesn´t work).But anyway I´ve been super happy with it for the last years,.
Now is the time for overhaul of the watch: I brought it to my AD for overhaul. He gave me inscription of necessary overhaul for the watch:
The case is scratched from many inflicted shocks.Needs to be polished. (I didn't want it to be polished)
The internal movement is described as in average condition.
Watch back is scratched. The crown is very worn and severely scratched.
The glass is scratched. (new glass $172)
New bracelet is recommended ($1663) (I reclined a new bracelet)
New dial: ($513) (I accepted)
The aluminum bezel is scratched, the watches´ hands are scratched, and the lume on the hand (aluminum) is cracked) New hands: $117 (also accepted)
The movement is dirty and dry,and the date reel is scratched.
All in all, the repairment will cost $ 2200.-
My question is:
Am I ruining my watch´s vintage condition by adding new parts?
My AD informed me that the lume on the hands were cracking, and particle of the lume could travel from the dial to the movement through the date window, and thus damaging the movement.
What are your thoughts on this?
Old 5 July 2024, 09:21 AM   #2
physicist
"TRF" Member

If you replace the dial and hands, ensure that the original items are returned to you. Same goes for the bezel insert and winding crown, in my opinion. I would replace the crystal if it is scratched. That’s not an issue. I would not do much polishing, but others enjoy a full polish.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 09:22 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your watch isn't vintage yet, but it could be one day.

Any time that the lume is beginning to crack, it's a good time to either stabilize the lume or replace the hands. New hands do restore lume, but only to the hands, you need a dial to see that too.

Like anything, some folks like to keep everything as-is, and others like to keep it in good, functional condition. There is not a right or wrong, only a difference of opinion.

As to value, unless you have a significantly rare example then keeping the watch in good condition will not affect its market value; it only changes your pool of interest, excluding the few purists that there will always be.

Crystals, inserts, crowns and tubes are all expendables and should be replaced when worn unless the watch is intended to be only shown and not worn.
Old 5 July 2024, 09:23 AM   #4
erling
"TRF" Member

Old 5 July 2024, 09:26 AM   #5
erling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicist View Post
If you replace the dial and hands, ensure that the original items are returned to you. Same goes for the bezel insert and winding crown, in my opinion. I would replace the crystal if it is scratched. That’s not an issue. I would not do much polishing, but others enjoy a full polish.
The AD told me that original items are not returned. (I will not get my old hands or the crown, they will be raplaced) )This is to prevent resale of
the items.
Old 5 July 2024, 10:25 AM   #6
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
While all our Rolexes are special to us, especially the ones that have been with us a long time, the 16610 is a pretty common model and unlikely to command "vintage" prices for many years. Some people prefer vintage (read: old and worn out) lume but if it's breaking down it has to be stabilized or replaced. Plenty of people prefer working lume too. Rolex won't stabilize lume either. I'd get a new bezel too, they are cheap and designed to be replaced.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:22 AM   #7
physicist
"TRF" Member

If you’re playing the long game, just get the movement serviced, and the crystal and winding crown replaced.
Old 5 July 2024, 11:30 AM   #8
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Well I'll pop in here to offer some sacrilege with a dose of blasphemy.....

I have a 1990 Rolex 16700 GMT Master....old Tritium dial, faded nicely, absolutely no lume though. Tech said original hands as well, but being parts came from different factories then, dial was nicely faded but the hands were much whiter. Wasn't a fan of the look. The tech said as well, the lume plots were starting to "mushroom", and if they crumble into the movement, welp, your into a full service anyhow.

The 16610 Sub and my GMT are not rare collectible pieces, very common, so I had no issues fully restoring. One member here did the same with an old Submariner 5513 if I recall correctly.

I wanted a functional watch, brought completely up to spec, with functioning lume, so I had a complete overhaul.

I did cyrstal, dial, hands, clasp on bracelet and one link needed replacing, as well as the crown. I asked for no polish.

In terms of the bracelet, the Jubilee definitely had some stretch, so sent it off to Rolliworks to restore, they did a spectacular job at renewing it. I'd recommend looking into Rolliworks for the bracelet.

Love the results, came back like a brand new watch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_GMT_chair.jpg (266.3 KB, 455 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:32 AM   #9
physicist
"TRF" Member

My thought is if you want a new watch, just buy a new watch.
Old 5 July 2024, 11:34 AM   #10
Phrank

Quote:
My thought is if you want a new watch, just buy a new watch.
Not a fan of 6 digits. Puts a hamper on that....
Old 5 July 2024, 12:30 PM   #11
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Overhaul it. Will come back like new

Would do the same without hesitation
Old 5 July 2024, 05:57 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Your watch isn't vintage yet, but it could be one day.

Any time that the lume is beginning to crack, it's a good time to either stabilize the lume or replace the hands. New hands do restore lume, but only to the hands, you need a dial to see that too.

Like anything, some folks like to keep everything as-is, and others like to keep it in good, functional condition. There is not a right or wrong, only a difference of opinion.

As to value, unless you have a significantly rare example then keeping the watch in good condition will not affect its market value; it only changes your pool of interest, excluding the few purists that there will always be.

Crystals, inserts, crowns and tubes are all expendables and should be replaced when worn unless the watch is intended to be only shown and not worn.
Have to agree with Larry and in future doubtful if any 16610 will be very collectible millions of them around.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 06:03 PM   #13
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16610 overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by erling View Post
I have a Rolex Submariner 16610, 1992 model. I bought it used in 2003. I took it to my AD for overhaul. …
What are your thoughts on this?
Give it to a RSC (not AD) for service, wait for their offer and proposed changes, then decide. Communicate everything in writing, explicitely what RSC must NOT do.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 07:23 PM   #14
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Give it to a RSC (not AD) for service, wait for their offer and proposed changes, then decide. Communicate everything in writing, explicitely what RSC must NOT do.
Thing is RSC has been known to not listen to those directions.

OP is definitely ruining his watch, not because I believe that mass produced Rolexes are works of art, but because RSC (direct or through AD) approaches everything with a sledgehammer.

If he goes through an independent, he can get everything stabilised even with lume restored and so on.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 10:04 PM   #15
yter37
"TRF" Member

While it's true that keeping a watch in its original condition can help maintain its value, it's also important to ensure the watch remains functional and wearable.

In the end, it's a balance between preserving the watch's originality and ensuring its proper functioning. Since you plan on keeping the watch and have been happy with it for many years, it's important to address any issues that could impact its longevity. And remember, keeping the documentation of the service and replaced parts can help in maintaining the value and history of your Rolex.
yter37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:06 PM   #16
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Thing is RSC has been known to not listen to those directions.

OP is definitely ruining his watch, not because I believe that mass produced Rolexes are works of art, but because RSC (direct or through AD) approaches everything with a sledgehammer.

If he goes through an independent, he can get everything stabilised even with lume restored and so on.
I don't agree with anything in your answer.

Old 5 July 2024, 11:56 PM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Whenever you hand in a Rolex for service they always describe it as a totally ruined watch even if it looks pristine.

Personally I would not change the dial and hands but on a 16610 it doesn’t matter.
As mentioned it is unlikely that this will ever be a collectible vintage piece.

Since you seem to be a fan of scratches and dings perhaps don’t buy the new bezel insert and save some. New insert on a scratched watch doesn’t look good.

Changing the crown is pretty standard and usually Rolex always upsells me a new crystal even if it is bullocks to change it.

All in all nothing strange on the quotation imho
Old 5 July 2024, 11:59 PM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post

I have a 1990 Rolex 16700 GMT Master....old Tritium dial, faded nicely, absolutely no lume though. Tech said original hands as well, but being parts came from different factories then, dial was nicely faded but the hands were much whiter. Wasn't a fan of the look. The tech said as well, the lume plots were starting to "mushroom", and if they crumble into the movement, welp, your into a full service anyhow.

The 16610 Sub and my GMT are not rare collectible pieces, very common, so I had no issues fully restoring. One member here did the same with an old Submariner 5513 if I recall correctly.

I wanted a functional watch, brought completely up to spec, with functioning lume, so I had a complete overhaul.

I did cyrstal, dial, hands, clasp on bracelet and one link needed replacing, as well as the crown. I asked for no polish.

In terms of the bracelet, the Jubilee definitely had some stretch, so sent it off to Rolliworks to restore, they did a spectacular job at renewing it. I'd recommend looking into Rolliworks for the bracelet.

That came out great…
Old 6 July 2024, 12:08 AM   #19
77T

If you change the dial then change the hands.

Polishing the watch is up to you but if you do the above work, then you may as well go for the whole enchilada.

I do agree with having RSC look at it and quote before letting a local AD watchmaker tackle it. Not saying AD is inadequate, just that a 2nd opinion before spending 2200 is a reasonable step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 01:26 AM   #20
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I don't agree with anything in your answer.

I don’t agree that the OP is ruining his watch. Only he will be able to decide later whether or not that happened. But I will say that I wouldn’t look at a tritium 16610 that did not have the original dial, bezel, and hands available to be sold with the watch.
Old 6 July 2024, 01:59 AM   #21
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Rolex 16610 overhaul

I would do everything they suggested and have Rolliworks redo the bracelet, as I imagine it will be cheaper than a new one. You will love the results. Be sure to show us before and after pics, when done.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 03:00 AM   #22
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Agree with Kat ^

Send it over to Rolliworks. Give some thought to keeping your original dial and hands. They can’t be in that bad shape.
Old 6 July 2024, 04:25 AM   #23
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by yter37 View Post
While it's true that keeping a watch in its original condition can help maintain its value, it's also important to ensure the watch remains functional and wearable.

In the end, it's a balance between preserving the watch's originality and ensuring its proper functioning. Since you plan on keeping the watch and have been happy with it for many years, it's important to address any issues that could impact its longevity. And remember, keeping the documentation of the service and replaced parts can help in maintaining the value and history of your Rolex.
“Maintaining value”

lol it’s a 5 digit tool watch meant to be worn and take a beating. It’s not a 401k or investment that will make someone rich one day. These things were mass produced for years and years. They aren’t rare minerals mined from the middle of the earth.
Old 6 July 2024, 05:34 AM   #24
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t agree that the OP is ruining his watch. Only he will be able to decide later whether or not that happened. But I will say that I wouldn’t look at a tritium 16610 that did not have the original dial, bezel, and hands available to be sold with the watch.
Did you read post #14? Scholar said "OP is definitely ruining his watch"

In my post #16 I replied to him "I don't agree with anything in your answer."

In simple language … I disagree with his claim!

Do you understand this?
Old 6 July 2024, 06:30 AM   #25
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
How do hands and dial get scratched when it’s covered inside the crystal?
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 06:34 AM   #26
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Overhaul it. Will come back like new

Would do the same without hesitation
Old 6 July 2024, 06:43 AM   #27
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
How do hands and dial get scratched when it’s covered inside the crystal?
Previous service by a careless watchmaker?
Old 6 July 2024, 06:52 AM   #28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post

That looks good. I personally don’t see a reason not to restore watches that are this common.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 07:00 AM   #29
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
That looks good. I personally don’t see a reason not to restore watches that are this common.
Thank-you, I think it turned out spiffy, and in honour of a certain Reddit sub, I was "chuffed" when I saw it upon completion.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_GMT_9.jpg (276.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 6 July 2024, 07:18 AM   #30
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Go for the full job at a RSC. All the talk on original scratched, dented, unpolished is only a minor group of people. The vast majority loves a beautifull watch and not an old “cow”.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote