The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #1
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Technical differences between Rolex 32xx and Tudor MT?

Putting aside the question of whether the MT is really "manufacture" and the negligibly wider accuracy tolerance, what are the real technical differences?

Genuine question from someone who doesn't understand watchmaking all that well, nor is able to differentiate which Rolex-invented terminology ("Chronergy," "Syloxi," etc.) constitute technical differentiators vs marketing.

They both seem to be similar sizes (Oyster Perpetual 36 and Black Bay 36 are same size/thickness/water resistance), the power reserve is supposedly the same at 70, accuracy is better-than-COSC, and production can be automated (these aren't artisan-level movements like Blancpain).

Yet it sounds like the Rolex movement has some serious issues that the Tudor does not. So there are obviously some serious technical differences. Just not sure what they are exactly.

Did Rolex somehow try and be too clever somewhere while Tudor went a more traditional route?

Again, this isn't a "which is better" thread, but rather curiosity about how two movement families that originated (in one way or another) within the same house and share such similar performance specs could have such different reliability outcomes in the wild.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:32 AM   #2
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Every time you read something about Tudor not being true in-house it’s from someone that doesn’t know kinessi was started by Tudor and is headed up by a Tudor man.

Tudor was first to go to 70 hours and their silicon technology is licensed to them from Rolex. Generally people report Tudor as tracking better accuracy than Rolex.

Interestingly now that Tudor is moving to the Master Chronometer standard, they are doing this with no change other than branding to the calibre. If you value the standard then it’s a clear advantage over Rolex. Tactically, it was a smart move from Tudor and tricky one for Rolex. In many ways this was a no win move for Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 09:23 AM   #3
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Only thing tricky about Tudor movements is they’re not serviced. Tudor throws in a manufactured movement and remanufactures your movement for someone else. Repairs will be essentially non-existent at 3rd party repair places.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:18 AM   #4
Patto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Only thing tricky about Tudor movements is they’re not serviced. Tudor throws in a manufactured movement and remanufactures your movement for someone else. Repairs will be essentially non-existent at 3rd party repair places.
This is correct. Although I'm sure servicing is possible at 3rd party places, parts availability will be a major issue.

The most significant difference between the two movements is simply quality of manufacture. Compare the motion works (under the dial) of the two. The Tudor resembles a lowish grade Seiko (nothing against Seiko at all btw), whilst the Rolex is made to a much higher standard, as one would expect with the price difference.

The difference is quality is quite evident when looking at the individual components under magnification.
Patto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:14 AM   #5
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patto View Post
This is correct. Although I'm sure servicing is possible at 3rd party places, parts availability will be a major issue.

The most significant difference between the two movements is simply quality of manufacture. Compare the motion works (under the dial) of the two. The Tudor resembles a lowish grade Seiko (nothing against Seiko at all btw), whilst the Rolex is made to a much higher standard, as one would expect with the price difference.

The difference is quality is quite evident when looking at the individual components under magnification.
That's an interesting observation, what do you mean exactly?

Is it just a question of being very "simple" (like the Rolex 3100 series was known to be)? Quality/finishing of materials (more low-grade metals, plastics, etc)? Actual assembly quality control?
Old 10 July 2024, 06:18 AM   #6
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patto View Post
The most significant difference between the two movements is simply quality of manufacture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
I am curious too as to what is meant here - I am guessing form/finishing rather than function/performance?
GradeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:57 AM   #7
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradeV View Post
I am curious too as to what is meant here - I am guessing form/finishing rather than function/performance?
I figured as much, based on the specs (accuracy, PR). But wasn't sure what aspect of that.

For this type of watch, I wouldn't expect anything overly pretty, or serious technical innovation. I'd love to find out that it's basically on par w/a Rolex 3100 series (rather than learn it's little more than a better-regulated version of something like the PRX Powermatic).
Old 10 July 2024, 06:59 PM   #8
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As am I considering everything done to a Rolex is by a machine. From most forums available online, Tudor takes the better accuracy cudos.

Old 10 July 2024, 07:02 PM   #9
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I figured as much, based on the specs (accuracy, PR). But wasn't sure what aspect of that.

For this type of watch, I wouldn't expect anything overly pretty, or serious technical innovation. I'd love to find out that it's basically on par w/a Rolex 3100 series (rather than learn it's little more than a better-regulated version of something like the PRX Powermatic).

Everything I've ever read about MT calibres would pit them at a higher technical and performance level than 31xx calibres. 32xx... I don't know, but there's lots of posts about issues with the 32xx and none really with any of the MT calibres.

Old 10 July 2024, 11:12 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:

Is it just a question of being very "simple" (like the Rolex 3100 series was known to be)? Quality/finishing of materials (more low-grade metals, plastics, etc)? Actual assembly quality control?
Quote:
Quote:

There are no low grade metals on certified Swiss chronometer or META movements. Neither Rolex or Tudor movements are much to look at, they are all about the performance.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 06:44 AM   #11
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
There are no low grade metals on certified Swiss chronometer or META movements. Neither Rolex or Tudor movements are much to look at, they are all about the performance.
dP
Thanks.

I guess we should try to pull this thread back to the original topic of technical differences between the movements.

The most in-depth article that I have read on the subject is the one by SJX.
Old 11 July 2024, 08:22 AM   #12
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I guess we should try to pull this thread back to the original topic of technical differences between the movements.

The most in-depth article that I have read on the subject is the one by SJX.

Had a brief look for that but unsussessful. Can you reference?

Old 11 July 2024, 10:58 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Technical differences between Rolex 32xx and Tudor MT?

3235 vs MT5612

Both have ≈ 70 hour power reserve, free sprung balance, but different technology hairsprings and shock absorption systems.

Silicon hairpring in the 5612 vs Parachrom Blue in the 3235.

Rolex is using the Paraflex shock absorber, and Tudor is using Incabloc.

Now the 5612 movement has a larger diameter. Neither will win a beauty prize.

5612:
Diameter: 31.8mm
Vibrations Per Hour: 28,800 bph (4 Hz)
Power Reserve: 70 hours
Jewels: 26
Shock System: Incabloc
Hairspring: Silicon, non-magnetic
Oscillator: Variable inertia balance, micro-adjustment by screw

3235:
Diameter: 28.5mm
Jewels: 31
Power Reserve: 70 hours
Vibrations Per Hour: 28,800 bph (4Hz)
Balance: Paramagnetic Oscillator
Escapement: Chronergy (with thinner pallet stones and double escape wheel teeth)
Shock System: Paraflex
Hairspring: Parachrom Blue

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 05:59 PM   #14
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [emoji[emoji[emoji638
Rolex is using the Paraflex shock absorber, and Tudor is using Incabloc.

Now the. . .movement has a larger diameter. Neither will win a beauty prize.

Shock System: Incabloc
Hairspring: Silicon, non-magnetic
Oscillator: Variable inertia balance, micro-adjustment by screw

Balance: Paramagnetic Oscillator
Escapement: Chronergy (with thinner pallet stones and double escape wheel teeth)
Shock System: Paraflex
Hairspring: Parachrom Blue

I thought that Tudor used kif rather than incabloc?

Last edited by Tools; 12 July 2024 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: quote modified for clarity
Old 12 July 2024, 03:55 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Every time you read something about Tudor not being true in-house it’s from someone that doesn’t know kinessi was started by Tudor and is headed up by a Tudor man.

Tudor was first to go to 70 hours and their silicon technology is licensed to them from Rolex. Generally people report Tudor as tracking better accuracy than Rolex.

. . .
Tudor developed and owns Kenissi and manufacturers them in the same Tudor building. You can't get any more "in-house" than that. Make no mistake, the engineers and designers of Tudor movements are from the same stable as Rolex uses - they are the same company.

Brietling, Tag, and Cartier, as well as a few others now use Kenissi, with Cartier investing 20% in Kenissi (with Tudor/Rolex) to ensure future availability.

Here is a release from Tudor/Kenissi.

“In 2010 the Tudor watch brand launched an ambitious project to develop its industrial production capacity for mechanical movements. To this end, the brand brought together a group of experts and presented an initial caliber manufactured by Tudor at Baselworld in 2015, in variations to equip two different watches.

The following year the Genevan watch brand created the Kenissi company to oversee the development and production of its movements and, in parallel, offer its technical expertise in the field of movements to third-party brands. The first industrial partnership was then forged with Breitling. As its business developed, in 2018 Kenissi then formed an industrial alliance with Chanel, supplying the caliber for its new J12.

Today Kenissi offers a wide range of self-winding movements derived from the TUDOR Manufacture calibers. These customizable, high-performance, highly robust movements are entirely developed and produced in Switzerland.

Founded in 2016, based in Le Locle. ‘Kenissi’ comes from the ancient Greek Kinesis meaning in movement, a reference to its activity and ambitions.

Kenissi’s product range comprises two families of customizable, high-performance self-winding movements – large and medium-size – which can incorporate numerous functions such as a calendar, power reserve indicator, or GMT function.”
Old 12 July 2024, 06:30 AM   #16
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had a brief look for that but unsussessful. Can you reference?

https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/05/rol...-analysis.html
Old 12 July 2024, 06:31 AM   #17
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Tudor developed and owns Kenissi and manufacturers them in the same Tudor building. You can't get any more "in-house" than that. Make no mistake, the engineers and designers of Tudor movements are from the same stable as Rolex uses - they are the same company.
I thought Rolex used Aegler before buying them and bringing them in house in 2004? The 32XX series are the first movements produced after this process I think?

Last edited by GradeV; 12 July 2024 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Tidied up quoted section; added detail
Old 12 July 2024, 07:32 AM   #18
Tools

Quote:
I thought Rolex used Aegler before buying them and bringing them in house in 2004? The 32XX series are the first movements produced after this process I think?
In 1919 Aegler became a board member on Rolex Board of Directors. Aegler made movements for Gruen and Rolex for years, then, in 1936 agreed to make movements exclusively for Rolex while still owned by the Borne/Aegler families. The name was changed at this 1936 agreement to Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA

When the Borer family bowed out in 2004, Rolex absorbed it in its entirety. Rolex recently also (bought) Bucherer Company when the old man retired to keep that relationship intact too.

To say that a movement company that only provided movements to Rolex, at Rolex facilities using Rolex engineers, while simultaneously being a member of the Rolex Board and company and being named Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA, was not "in-house" until 2004 ignores the true situation.
Old 12 July 2024, 07:53 AM   #19
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
To say that a movement company that only provided movements to Rolex, at Rolex facilities using Rolex engineers, while simultaneously being a member of the Rolex Board and company and being named Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA, was not "in-house" until 2004 ignores the true situation.

I would be keen to know what actually happened in 2004 - were there redundancies, changes in leadership, changes in the engineering / design teams? How much did Aegler change in that moment, and does it have any bearing on the way in which the 32XX was developed (and how it diverged from previous movements)?

The thing is, bringing “in-house” proper would have brought Aegler under complete and total control with no outside voices.
Old 12 July 2024, 09:23 AM   #20
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nope - see photos

Incabloc (has a lyre shape)

KIF (3 contact points)

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 10:35 AM   #21
Tools

Quote:

Rolex stopped using KIF back 2005 when they developed their own Paraflex.

Tudor historically used ETA w/Incabloc, ETA used this in their high-end movement ebauches. Tudor continues with Incabloc SA, an independent manufacturer, for now.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:28 AM   #22
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would be keen to know what actually happened in 2004 - were there redundancies, changes in leadership, changes in the engineering / design teams? How much did Aegler change in that moment, and does it have any bearing on the way in which the 32XX was developed (and how it diverged from previous movements)?

The thing is, bringing “in-house” proper would have brought Aegler under complete and total control with no outside voices.
I doubt much changed in the moment. There's always a lag with post-acquisition changes. Was the 32xx the first movement family whose initial development (i.e. all the R&D) began post-2004?
Old 12 July 2024, 03:04 PM   #23
GradeV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I doubt much changed in the moment. There's always a lag with post-acquisition changes. Was the 32xx the first movement family whose initial development (i.e. all the R&D) began post-2004?

I don’t know how long it takes to develop a new movement. It has been argued that the pressure to move to 70hr power reserve arose after other manufactures began to routinely have increased power reserves in their standard mass produced movements.

There are some differences in the 32XX (eg thinner-walled and less serviceable mainspring barrel, steps take to reduce mass of certain components) that are quite different from what went previously and to me raise the possibility of a change in philosophy away from the robustness, reliability and serviceability I associate with Rolex.

But I just don’t know.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #24
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t know how long it takes to develop a new movement. It has been argued that the pressure to move to 70hr power reserve arose after other manufactures began to routinely have increased power reserves in their standard mass produced movements.

There are some differences in the 32XX (eg thinner-walled and less serviceable mainspring barrel, steps take to reduce mass of certain components) that are quite different from what went previously and to me raise the possibility of a change in philosophy away from the robustness, reliability and serviceability I associate with Rolex.

But I just don’t know.
My opinion is that little changes in the manufacturing of current product lines when such integrations/absorptions happen. However, it's when R&D begins on something new that changes in philosophy become apparent.

The analogy that seems most relevant is cars. When I think of car companies that have changed hands many times, the changes always happen with the next new generation. Land Rover. Volvo. Jaguar. Each iteration is most characteristic of the previous owner.