The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2024, 05:49 PM   #1
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Icon19 “The great anti-hype watch”

Panerai has gone from obscurity…to overwhelming hype…to inevitable backlash…to being overlooked…..

Quite the roller coaster!! But never boring.

What’s left is an authentic and unique style that some wear because they like it. That’s good enough for me.

And it’s why I found Wei’s recent article to be worth a read:

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-grea...al-of-panerai/
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 06:52 PM   #2
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I think they get knocked because they have something others don’t. The Luminor case design is as iconic as anything in our world.
They have made mistakes but that happens when you move from being a reclusive brand to one looking for mass appeal. I remember when ADs may only get about 20 watches a year to sell. Bought a PAM 24 at that time. I accepted though that the brand wanted to grow, the Panaristi never did and are now the second band of detractors.

Decent article from Wei, agree with lots even if it’s a little self indulgent !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 06:52 PM   #3
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Oh and thanks for sharing

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 07:02 PM   #4
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post

Wouldn’t be a Wei article if it wasn’t self-indulgent!

Quote:
Oh and thanks for sharing
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 07:50 PM   #5
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
"No one on the planet is wearing a Panerai to impress someone else. They are simply wearing it because they love it, and that to me is the very essence of true watch collecting."

That seems very true from my experience. I remember someone saying something along the line..

"You own a Rolex for others, but a Pam for yourself“
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 08:02 PM   #6
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I think they get knocked because they have something others don’t. The Luminor case design is as iconic as anything in our world.
They have made mistakes but that happens when you move from being a reclusive brand to one looking for mass appeal. I remember when ADs may only get about 20 watches a year to sell. Bought a PAM 24 at that time. I accepted though that the brand wanted to grow, the Panaristi never did and are now the second band of detractors.

Interesting read and to be fair he mentioned Panerai.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 08:42 PM   #7
tzwick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613 Sub
Totally agree! Panerai's journey has been quite the adventure, but its unique style still stands out. Wei's article is a great read for anyone who appreciates this iconic brand. Thanks for sharing!
tzwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 10:13 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great read my friend

I know for me much of what he says rings true. I’d like to think that all of my watch purchases have been for “me” and not what others think. What’s irksome, is to think that someone else might think they aren’t … if you catch my drift
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 10:17 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thanks for sharing the article and I was almost able to read the whole thing but faded somewhere in the middle. Modern Panerai, to me, is a train wreck of a company that embodies a lot of the negatives about the watch industry. Made up company and history that was brought back as a money grab with a false or misleading narrative repeated by the company and media. That is not my opinion that is a documented fact, look it up. It is well document by a TRF member. With that said, I still like some of the watches and own a 233, 317, 992 and just yesterday I picked up a 389. So I make these statements and still own and buy the watches. Yes, because I like them. The wear, the appearance and I do like the strap game. I came to peace with Panerai a while back when my SA at the local AD, a collector himself, said just enjoy the watches for what they are, not what they are not, or something close to that. He is right and I do. Skipping all the noise about history, etc. Going forward it does not make sense to me to buy new when pre-owned prices are so much better and the watches, to me, are more interesting than new releases. Such are my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 10:52 PM   #10
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the sharing !
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 03:43 AM   #11
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

It's certainly a new Panerai now...I remember a long time boutique employee telling me last year how happy he was that Paneristi's were mostly gone. Happy to sell Due to the masses. No drama. No BS, just collect the watch and off they go.

I do like a few of their current watches (Radiomir Bronze) but I don't see myself paying retail for any of them.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 03:50 AM   #12
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Thanks for sharing, interesting read and most of us could relate.
Old 8 July 2024, 03:50 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I’ve been wearing my luminor marina a ton lately after almost 5 or 6 years of barely wearing it at all!
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 05:07 AM   #14
1sjz
"TRF" Member

Thank you for posting that, I really enjoyed it.
1sjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 05:37 AM   #15
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's certainly a new Panerai now...I remember a long time boutique employee telling me last year how happy he was that Paneristi's were mostly gone. Happy to sell Due to the masses. No drama. No BS, just collect the watch and off they go.

I do like a few of their current watches (Radiomir Bronze) but I don't see myself paying retail for any of them.
The steampunk look and feel of Panerai bronzo models is unrivaled in the watch industry, that's why they are so successful compared to other brands using the same material.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #16
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Stunning! thanks for sharing
Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 12:25 PM   #17
funkright
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs. All of them!
Icon10 Well..

It's one of those IYKYK type of things
funkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:15 PM   #18
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Agreed ! Panerai watches are for the person who's attracted to the design and uniqueness . We can have a discussion about the history, movements and size. I'm attracted to the look and simpleness of the dial and case. Good post ! Thank you!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 03:27 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The Panerai design is something you either get or you don’t. If you love the design then you are hooked. It’s a non apologetic bold simple look that needs no explanation. You can get into the woods about other superior horological movements that are handbuilt in the Swiss mountains with extreme attention to detail but if you don’t like it’s case design and it doesn’t stir any passion then it’s guts are meaningless.

Panerai is a beautiful design to my eye like a minimalistic piece of fine art.

FYI: In my experience with the Panerai brand, it is true that Panerai owners tend to be the nicest you will ever strike up a conversation with in the wild.
Old 10 July 2024, 06:32 PM   #20
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

FYI: In my experience with the Panerai brand, it is true that Panerai owners tend to be the nicest you will ever strike up a conversation with in the wild.

I wonder why this is? Said so many times in various watch literature.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:50 PM   #21
StanCho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The Panerai design is something you either get or you don’t. If you love the design then you are hooked. It’s a non apologetic bold simple look that needs no explanation. You can get into the woods about other superior horological movements that are handbuilt in the Swiss mountains with extreme attention to detail but if you don’t like it’s case design and it doesn’t stir any passion then it’s guts are meaningless.

Panerai is a beautiful design to my eye like a minimalistic piece of fine art.

Fully agree with everything above. I was hooked on the design many years ago but was afraid I cannot wear it.

One day I had time to kill, walked to the AD to try different models, quaranta, due, etc. and came to the conclusion that 44mm (bettarini case) can be worn by most wrists, including mine (6.25" & flat). Shortly after that I got one (ref. 914).

Key thing was to see how it wears from 2m away, not straight down as many people do. I do not care much about the movement or history, fake or not, the design just works for me.

And again, less is more, hand wound, sandwich dial, no seconds or date in my book... :)
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 02:19 AM   #22
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Thanks for sharing the article and I was almost able to read the whole thing but faded somewhere in the middle. Modern Panerai, to me, is a train wreck of a company that embodies a lot of the negatives about the watch industry. Made up company and history that was brought back as a money grab with a false or misleading narrative repeated by the company and media. That is not my opinion that is a documented fact, look it up. It is well document by a TRF member. With that said, I still like some of the watches and own a 233, 317, 992 and just yesterday I picked up a 389. So I make these statements and still own and buy the watches. Yes, because I like them. The wear, the appearance and I do like the strap game. I came to peace with Panerai a while back when my SA at the local AD, a collector himself, said just enjoy the watches for what they are, not what they are not, or something close to that. He is right and I do. Skipping all the noise about history, etc. Going forward it does not make sense to me to buy new when pre-owned prices are so much better and the watches, to me, are more interesting than new releases. Such are my thoughts.
I completely agree with this. There is nothing, nothing, in the current catalog that is worth buying.

All of the iconic models (233/372/127/690) were discontinued 2011-2019 and the all new models look like they were designed by chatgpt. No soul. Who wants a Panerai in PM?

When I got back into watches in 2020 after a long layoff, all I owned was a Tank, a Calatrava and a DayDate 36. I wanted a bigger watch, but no one sold Panerai in my part of the country. Doing only internet research, I found the 233 GMT had all the hallmarks of classic Panerai. So I bought it pre-owned (as it had just been discountined) without trying it on beforehand, and was stunned at how massive the 44mm case was. While I enjoy this watch, I don't think I can pull off wearing any of the 47mm models.

That being said, I love the 233 and wear it especially when traveling internationally (great GMT). Panerai watches are meant to be worn!

If I were to give Panerai advice on how to regain market share, they should remake the 372/127/690 in 44mm or even 42mm cases.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 03:50 AM   #23
duc888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
they should remake the 372/127/690 in 44mm or even 42mm cases
And then we can hear the voices that say Panerai has no new ideas

BTW What is wrong with PM Panerais?
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 09:44 AM   #24
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That P.9010 is an outstanding movement, especially one of the original ones that had a hacking second. Mine has been rock solid accurate with a power reserve of 80 hours and 15 minutes on my last test.

Old 11 July 2024, 11:32 AM   #25
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyfon View Post
"No one on the planet is wearing a Panerai to impress someone else. They are simply wearing it because they love it, and that to me is the very essence of true watch collecting."

That seems very true from my experience. I remember someone saying something along the line..

"You own a Rolex for others, but a Pam for yourself“
I do agree with that mostly.
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 02:39 PM   #26
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Gotta say my 233 dot is my most worn watch BY FAR in my collection and I think it’s the best PAM ever (obviously my humble opinion). Only mistake I made was taking so long to purchase one lol

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 09:08 PM   #27
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I completely agree with this. There is nothing, nothing, in the current catalog that is worth buying.

All of the iconic models (233/372/127/690) were discontinued 2011-2019 and the all new models look like they were designed by chatgpt. No soul. Who wants a Panerai in PM?

When I got back into watches in 2020 after a long layoff, all I owned was a Tank, a Calatrava and a DayDate 36. I wanted a bigger watch, but no one sold Panerai in my part of the country. Doing only internet research, I found the 233 GMT had all the hallmarks of classic Panerai. So I bought it pre-owned (as it had just been discountined) without trying it on beforehand, and was stunned at how massive the 44mm case was. While I enjoy this watch, I don't think I can pull off wearing any of the 47mm models.

That being said, I love the 233 and wear it especially when traveling internationally (great GMT). Panerai watches are meant to be worn!

If I were to give Panerai advice on how to regain market share, they should remake the 372/127/690 in 44mm or even 42mm cases.

What the heck is wrong with a PM Panerai????

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 10:40 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
What the heck is wrong with a PM Panerai????

The problem with a PM Panerai is I don’t own one yet.
Old 12 July 2024, 08:36 PM   #29
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The problem with a PM Panerai is I don’t own one yet.
LOL, the rose gold they use, or oro rosso they say, in real life is truly pretty. This one I have is the 233 version which I love to death, but in oro rosso. Best of both worlds.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 10:27 PM   #30
Andy0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyfon View Post
Yep. I've got enough "nicer" watches, but I don't look down on PAM's at all. They're a unique style, wear quite well for their size, can easily change personality with different straps, and they're definitely "tool watches" that you don't need to fear wearing. Bottom line for me; they have character.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote