The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2024, 10:32 PM   #31
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
So to everyone saying they wouldn’t allow a copy of their I.D. …

Let’s say for sake of argument the AD offers you the watch you want (let’s go whole Hogg and say the Le Mans Daytona) … would you still refuse to allow them to photo your drivers license?
I would ask for a manager over concern of someone using their personal cell phone to take the photo of my ID.
Old 8 July 2024, 10:33 PM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I would ask for a manager over concern of someone using their personal cell phone to take the photo of my ID.

And of the manager said that’s our store policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:36 PM   #33
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And of the manager said that’s our store policy?

I am sure they would at that point take the info in a different way, not their personal phone. But I guess in that case to get the watch at that point, as long as they were an official AD, I would purchase. But definitely not early in the conversation to check for availability like what happened to the OP.
Old 8 July 2024, 10:38 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I am sure they would at that point take the info in a different way, not their personal phone. But I guess in that case to get the watch at that point, as long as they were an official AD, I would purchase. But definitely not early in the conversation to check for availability like what happened to the OP.
Just curious where we all draw the line
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:40 PM   #35
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VP-26 View Post
I have had requests to photo my drivers license but would never do that, because once you walk away they will have that photo forever. No Thanks

So what if they do? What information is on that DL that can’t be looked up online? What’s someone going to do with your DL#? Look up your driving record?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:42 PM   #36
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So to everyone saying they wouldn’t allow a copy of their I.D. …

Let’s say for sake of argument the AD offers you the watch you want (let’s go whole Hogg and say the Le Mans Daytona) … would you still refuse to allow them to photo your drivers license?
I still would not let them photo my license. (Now maybe if they offered me the watch free I would have to think about it)
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:45 PM   #37
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
So what if they do? What information is on that DL that can’t be looked up online? What’s someone going to do with your DL#? Look up your driving record?
Don’t you think it is weird to have some random SA with your photo and address on their phone? Maybe I am too old school but makes no sense to me.
Old 8 July 2024, 10:46 PM   #38
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Once you let anyone photo your license you have no idea in the world where it will end up.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 11:01 PM   #39
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

I signed up at a AD for a "requested timepiece list" (could add 3 models) just a few weeks ago to a U.S. AD and they brought out a form and then asked me for my I.D. (Govt issued Drivers License) and confirmed who I was and my address. This was in Florida btw. I did not see them take a copy of it though.

This was with the supervisor of the store also. I had heard prior to going in that they (the Rolex AD) were more inclined to sell to local buyers, so I figured they were just confirming I was local.

So I'm seeing here that this is NOT the norm?
Ferrari-F430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 11:04 PM   #40
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I signed up at a AD for a "requested timepiece list" (could add 3 models) just a few weeks ago to a U.S. AD and they brought out a form and then asked me for my I.D. (Govt issued Drivers License) and confirmed who I was and my address. This was in Florida btw. I did not see them take a copy of it though.

This was with the supervisor of the store also. I had heard prior to going in that they (the Rolex AD) were more inclined to sell to local buyers, so I figured they were just confirming I was local.

So I'm seeing here that this is NOT the norm?
I think the not the norm part is a SA very early in the conversation to even determine availability tried to use their own personal phone to take a photo of it. Your situation is completely understandable.
Old 8 July 2024, 11:51 PM   #41
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Report this to the management. doesn't sound like it's a store policy but a sneaky SA tries to "steal" your personal info.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 12:03 AM   #42
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Overthinking much?
Old 9 July 2024, 12:32 AM   #43
R8TDRRR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
When I purchased my first watch my AD asked to see a copy of my DL to confirm it matched the name on my CC. No picture taken though although I can understand it. It did make me laugh on the inside considering my SA knew I was on the job.
Old 9 July 2024, 12:35 AM   #44
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

Overthinking much?
In some cases, overthinking is called situational awareness.
In this case, not a single watch has been offered and a salesperson is using a personal cell to photograph your license.
Perhaps overthinking but perhaps not a victim either.
If a security measure, I would have no problem with them taking my license, placing it on the other side of the counter and holding it while the watch was brought out.
Huge difference between the two. If that’s overthinking, I’ll just keep right on doing it. Has worked for 65 years so far.
Old 9 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #45
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This
People are so paranoid about trivial stuff.

I get it, it's great to be aware of what's going on around you, but your SA isn't taking your details and selling them to criminals.

It's really the stuff you don't know about that will freak you out the most...

If you're worried about your photograph/image being shared... don't bother going to the shopping mall at all, or anywhere in town for that matter. Oh, and that iPhone in your pocket, I'd throw that away too...
I dread to think what you'd think of the facial recognition systems in place that know who you are, where you are, where you've been pretty much all times, on top of what you have bought, what you will buy and why you will buy it.

Giving some SA your DL to take a copy of and keep with their records to prove you are who you say you are is nothing.
Old 9 July 2024, 01:42 AM   #46
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This

I get it, it's great to be aware of what's going on around you, but your SA isn't taking your details and selling them to criminals.

If you're worried about your photograph/image being shared... don't bother going to the shopping mall at all, or anywhere in town for that matter. Oh, and that iPhone in your pocket, I'd throw that away too...
I dread to think what you'd think of the facial recognition systems in place that know who you are, where you are, where you've been pretty much all times, on top of what you have bought, what you will buy and why you will buy it.

Giving some SA your DL to take a copy of and keep with their records to prove you are who you say you are is nothing.
……and per a previous comment of yours, you think because it’s illegal in UK to share your information it means it won’t be shared.
A tad naive.
I spent many, many years running a fraud in investigation operation for one of the largest insurers in the US. I bet I can share stories you’ll never believe.
That’s why there will always be fraud victims.
Old 9 July 2024, 01:44 AM   #47
metallic
"TRF" Member

I also would not allow a photo of my ID to just check inventory. Wouldn’t allow it in Mexico or in the US. If I am purchasing, then fine, I understand. Checking inventory… no way.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 01:46 AM   #48
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This

Yeah, people concerned with a store having a copy of your driver’s license is nothing compared to simply walking around with a smartphone. The amount of data you share with a retailer by simply walking in with a connected device is astounding. People here should probably never look into that.
Old 9 July 2024, 01:47 AM   #49
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic View Post
I also would not allow a photo of my ID to just check inventory. Wouldn’t allow it in Mexico or in the US. If I am purchasing, then fine, I understand. Checking inventory… no way.

Why not, especially if they have had people run off with the watch?

Old 9 July 2024, 01:56 AM   #50
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Primarily because anyone that would "run off with the watch" would just give a fake ID. So the AD is not preventing a crime by asking everyone who looks at a watch to provide a DL or equivalent.

Of course, the AD can do anything they wish on their private premises as long as it isn't outlawed by statutes/ordinances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 01:58 AM   #51
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Primarily because anyone that would "run off with the watch" would just give a fake ID. So the AD is not preventing a crime by asking everyone who looks at a watch to provide a DL or equivalent.

Exactly!
Thank you.
I was patiently waiting to see if anyone mentioned this.
Old 9 July 2024, 01:59 AM   #52
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
you think because it’s illegal in UK to share your information it means it won’t be shared.
Nope, I'm well trained and versed in GDPR stuff. I know that just because it is illegal does not mean it won't. There have been plenty of breaches in the past for this stuff. It does mean that if it does, the fines are absolutely MASSIVE for GDPR breaches in the UK, that's why, for big firms, it's extraordinarily rare.
But also, I don't share things I'm not comfortable sharing.

Sharing my name and address on a photo ID to a massive chain store (that has most of that anyway from my internet searches) is not really a big deal to me because it pales in comparison to the information that everything else has on me anyway.

Just because you don't share your DL with a store doesn't mean they don't have your information in one way, shape or form, same goes for everything else with your digital footprint - which is HUGE btw. Like I said, if everyone saw what their actual digital footprint was like their toes would curl.

I should add - I know everyone is free to choose whether to give out whatever they want, it's not for me to say what they should or shouldn't. I just think personally some people overthink it and are blissfully unaware of what companies really know about them without even knowing it.
Old 9 July 2024, 02:05 AM   #53
77T

Quote:
I should add - I know everyone is free to choose whether to give out whatever they want, it's not for me to say what they should or shouldn't.
Untrue

Only 20% live in countries with full civil rights. The rest live in "partly free" (42%) or "not free" (38%) countries.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 02:07 AM   #54
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Untrue

Only 20% live in countries with full civil rights. The rest live in "partly free" (42%) or "not free" (38%) countries.

Are we really getting this pedantic now?

For the purposes of this conversation, every single person who ever gets asked in a Rolex Authorised Dealer to hand over their driving licence has the right to choose not to.
Old 9 July 2024, 02:10 AM   #55
911cv
"TRF" Member

-

There is a security guard with an automatic rifle standing in front of the store.

Also, the photo of the drivers license was only to check the inventory. He let me try on the exhibition watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Could be a security procedure they have in place in case you just ran out of store with the watch. There might be cameras in the ceiling that would capture this but the photo with phone is interesting. Unless they use a business only phone for that.
911cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 02:10 AM   #56
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope, I'm well trained and versed in GDPR stuff. I know that just because it is illegal does not mean it won't. There have been plenty of breaches in the past for this stuff. It does mean that if it does, the fines are absolutely MASSIVE for GDPR breaches in the UK, that's why, for big firms, it's extraordinarily rare.
But also, I don't share things I'm not comfortable sharing.

Sharing my name and address on a photo ID to a massive chain store (that has most of that anyway from my internet searches) is not really a big deal to me because it pales in comparison to the information that everything else has on me anyway.

Just because you don't share your DL with a store doesn't mean they don't have your information in one way, shape or form, same goes for everything else with your digital footprint - which is HUGE btw. Like I said, if everyone saw what their actual digital footprint was like their toes would curl.

I should add - I know everyone is free to choose whether to give out whatever they want, it's not for me to say what they should or shouldn't. I just think personally some people overthink it and are blissfully unaware of what companies really know about them without even knowing it.
I get what you are saying.
But the criminal hat I have had to wear for many years to think like a criminal to catch them tells me that if all is as OP stated (that’s what we have to go on) something smells rotten.
What the end game is, I have not given enough thought to. But, to take someone’s license without even offering a watch, pull out a personal phone to photograph it, when all you had to do is simply hold it while the watch was being brought out just stinks to high Heaven.
No way that’s overthinking. More like critical thinking.
Old 9 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #57
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Also, who knows. Maybe they have had folks try to bolt with the watch while trying it on. So they get ID ahead of time.
This makes the most sense to me.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 02:18 AM   #58
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course, the AD can do anything they wish on their private premises as long as it isn't outlawed by statutes/ordinances.

So because someone may give a fake ID, you just shouldn’t bother with even the mildest of precautions?

People can obviously do what they want. I’m just pointing out that making a copy of one’s drivers license isn’t nearly the invasion of privacy people think it is.
There’s really nothing someone can do with a copy of a drivers license, despite what people think here. The real thing? Maybe? A copy? No

Old 9 July 2024, 02:26 AM   #59
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So because someone may give a fake ID, you just shouldn’t bother with even the mildest of precautions?

People can obviously do what they want. I’m just pointing out that making a copy of one’s drivers license isn’t nearly the invasion of privacy people think it is.
There’s really nothing someone can do with a copy of a drivers license, despite what people think here. The real thing? Maybe? A copy? No

A simple search will yield quite a few fraudulent things that can be done with the information contained on a driver’s license.

Aside from that, I guess the armed guard at the door per OP is useless?
Old 9 July 2024, 02:55 AM   #60
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anecdotally, this happened very recently at my AD, to my SA.

Young lad came in, tried on a Skydweller, ended up bolting out of the store, (no doors on the store, it's wide open) and threw the watch down to the guys on the next level below. The fumbled the catch, Skydweller smashed on the marble tiles and the two guys got collared before they could exit the mall. Good going guys