The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2024, 11:41 AM   #1
Jay9Suited
"TRF" Member

Where to try on AP Royal Oak?

Been on the sidelines for awhile doing research on buying my first watch. Looking for an heirloom piece to pass down to my son. Ideally would like to see my options in person so was curious how I could go about comparing things such as - 41mm vs 37mm .. jumbo extra thin vs regular .. color options etc ..

My nearest AP dealer isn't that close and who knows what they would have for me to see. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Jay9Suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 12:39 PM   #2
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Large preowned dealer like DavidSW or Tourneau (Las Vegas or Costa Mesa maybe) is probably your best bet. Or can maybe try an AP House in a big city like NY but would call first and see if they have the pieces you want to try on.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:24 PM   #3
messikens
"TRF" Member

I guess stating where you're from or where you're planning on going would be a good first start.

As other poster has said, large grey is your best bet (DavidSW), Diamond District in NYC etc. They'll have a ton of regular and extraordinary pieces.

Boutiques are hit and miss, they'll likely have standard fare stuff (three hander CODE, maybe a ROC) but likely no jumbos etc to try on...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:38 PM   #4
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9Suited View Post
Been on the sidelines for awhile doing research on buying my first watch. Looking for an heirloom piece to pass down to my son. Ideally would like to see my options in person so was curious how I could go about comparing things such as - 41mm vs 37mm .. jumbo extra thin vs regular .. color options etc ..

My nearest AP dealer isn't that close and who knows what they would have for me to see. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Right now almost every AP boutique is loaded with watches to try on. I think you can’t go wrong to hit the closest AP boutique to you.

I have hit NYC and Tokyo in the last few months and they are loaded with pieces
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 01:07 AM   #5
Jay9Suited
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info! After further research I think I've narrowed it down to blue in either the 41mm or the 39mm jumbo. Is there a place I can go to look at what I could expect to pay for these?
Old 18 July 2024, 04:59 AM   #6
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Jay
I am in Michigan also (Metro Detroit) not many options around here.
You should take a day trip to NYC and hit the diamond district, you can try most anything you want on.
As for pricing the Jumbo is way over MSRP. I really want a 16202 but getting one from an AD is impossible unless you have time and a good purchase history from the AD. I am keeping my fingers crossed the 16202 comes down but I doubt it's going to get anywhere near MSRP unfortunately.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 10:40 AM   #7
Jay9Suited
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Jay
I am in Michigan also (Metro Detroit) not many options around here.
You should take a day trip to NYC and hit the diamond district, you can try most anything you want on.
As for pricing the Jumbo is way over MSRP. I really want a 16202 but getting one from an AD is impossible unless you have time and a good purchase history from the AD. I am keeping my fingers crossed the 16202 comes down but I doubt it's going to get anywhere near MSRP unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply! I am on the west side, looks like there is an AP AD in Chicago which isn't crazy far from me. I might schedule something with them, just nervous they won't have a 16202 as that's what I'm leaning towards. I understand I'll be paying over MSRP.. just want to see what I'm buying beforehand!
Old 19 July 2024, 12:31 AM   #8
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9Suited View Post
Thanks for the reply! I am on the west side, looks like there is an AP AD in Chicago which isn't crazy far from me. I might schedule something with them, just nervous they won't have a 16202 as that's what I'm leaning towards. I understand I'll be paying over MSRP.. just want to see what I'm buying beforehand!
The boutiques will almost certainly have 37mm and 41mm RO and 38mm and 41mm ROC demo models in some dial color, but a Jumbo is far from guaranteed. It's possible, but to avoid disappointment I'd call ahead or visit a grey dealer that has one (or many...) for sale.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote